Sign in to follow this  
SNIPE

4 speed gearbox with split axles help

Hi,

I am busy building a 4 speed gearbox but need toflip the gear lever to fill an empty space which meant splitting the output axles into two as shown here:

mWZUFPv.png

The top image is how it would normally be designed without the split axles, and the bottom is the flipped design. However, I canot get it the blue output to spin at 4 different speeds. Maybe somebody knows how to do it? I managed to get close to what I need with this: bgENqfs.png

Any ideas would be much appriciated. Note that it is fine to space the gearbox housing further apart if needed. as long as it is still the 2x2 axle layout

Edited by SNIPE

I have sort of done that in the last image shown however I can only seem to get two speeds, adding anymore jams it.

9 hours ago, SNIPE said:

as long as it is still the 2x2 axle layout

As far as I can see, that would be impossible. :sceptic: You would need to either connect the gears with another axle (like @LvdH said), or only have two speeds.

Can't you flip the whole thing upside-down? Do you have space to lower the lever two studs?

Maybe there will be space however I cannot seem to picture it, there is a LOT of mechanisms in the car

I'm trying to see what the limit of lego technic is (relative to the model size). I know that  sheepo's porche 911 turbo cabriolet is very advanced but it uses old parts and some connections may be a bit odd (i.e weak).

I'll try having the gear lever flipped to the correct position soon.

Edited by SNIPE