skippyfontainne

Will Lego ever return to an In-house Space Theme? We are going on 5+ years now...

According to Wikipedia:

1.1 Early Space (1964–1973)
1.2 "Classic" Space (1978–1987)
1.3 Futuron (1987–1990)
1.4 Blacktron (1987–1988)
1.5 Space Police (1989)
1.6 M:Tron (1990–1991)
1.7 Blacktron Future Generation (1991–1992)
1.8 Space Police II (1992–1993)
1.9 Ice Planet 2002 (1993–1994)
1.10 Spyrius (1994–1995)
1.11 Unitron (1994–1995)
1.12 Exploriens (1996)
1.13 Roboforce (1997)
1.14 UFO (1997–1998)
1.15 Insectoids (1998–1999)
1.16 Life on Mars (2001)
1.17 Mars Mission (2007–2008)
1.18 Space Police III (2009–2010)
1.19 Alien Conquest (2011)
1.20 Galaxy Squad (2013)

If my math is correct the biggest gap is in the beginning, with a 5 year break. Then there is one 2 year gap. And a few one year gaps, or overlap...

Today, we are going on 5 years. Will the record be set for gaps? i.e. 5+, or will Lego go back to its one of its strengths.

Has Star Wars ensured a longer gap? Note: I am a Star Wars fan.

What say YOU?

There are several long ongoing discussions about this general topic on the forums, but this is a fair question.  As you note, the record has already been set for gaps, if we don't count the pre-minifig space sets.  Despite the long gap and the dominance of Star Wars on the shelves, I don't think the situation for Lego Space fans is as bad as some people on the forum make it out to be.  We'll probably see another in-house Space theme in the next year or two, but even if we don't we should consider what Lego has done in the meantime:

2014 - The Lego Movie had several Space-themed sets, notably the 70816 Benny Spaceship and the 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship.  That and 70806 Bad Cop Pursuit were practically a Space Police IV mini-theme.

2014 - Ideas Exo-Suit

2014-2017 8 or 9 Space-themed CMFs

2015 - Mini 928 Galaxy Explorer with a DK book

2015 City Space subtheme

2016-2017 Star Wars The Freemaker Adventures, which is practically an in-house Space theme camouflaged under the Star Wars banner - just look at how much 75186 The Arrowhead echoes the design language of Classic Space!

2016-2018 Nexo Knights, which strongly echoes much of Lego's traditional Space design language despite its Castle-inspired trappings

2017 Ideas Saturn V and Women of NASA

2018 70923 The Bat-Space Shuttle, which is very much an in-house Space set despite its camouflage under the Batman banner

2018 - Ideas Moments in Space contest, with the winner to be released in 2019

2019? 2020?  There are persistent rumors that The Lego Movie 2 will feature a Space setting.

So yes, there is a five-year gap between now and the last dedicated Space theme, but there certainly hasn't been a five-year gap of original content that more or less fits in the niche of Space.

53 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Nope. :hmpf_bad:

Pretty much this, at least until Disney's Star Wars barrage passes over. Like @icm said, Lego is seemingly spreading Space where they can in other preexisting themes, whether directly or indirectly. Personally, I think the Creator theme would be the best home for Space until then, as it's a pretty constraint-less line that can house pretty much anything.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

4 hours ago, icm said:

2014 - The Lego Movie had several Space-themed sets, notably the 70816 Benny Spaceship and the 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship.  That and 70806 Bad Cop Pursuit were practically a Space Police IV mini-theme.

2014 - Ideas Exo-Suit

2015 City Space subtheme

2016-2017 Star Wars The Freemaker Adventures, which is practically an in-house Space theme camouflaged under the Star Wars banner - just look at how much 75186 The Arrowhead echoes the design language of Classic Space!

2016-2018 Nexo Knights, which strongly echoes much of Lego's traditional Space design language despite its Castle-inspired trappings

2018 70923 The Bat-Space Shuttle, which is very much an in-house Space set despite its camouflage under the Batman banner

2019? 2020?  There are persistent rumors that The Lego Movie 2 will feature a Space setting.

So yes, there is a five-year gap between now and the last dedicated Space theme, but there certainly hasn't been a five-year gap of original content that more or less fits in the niche of Space.

• Flying police cars: not space
  • City space/NASA: space but not what we mean by Lego "Space" i.e. not sci-fi 
  • Star Wars: not in-house
  • Nexo Knights: not space
  • Bat Man: not space, not in-house
  • Rumors: not space
Edited by danth

I hope so, LEGO's Space themes were one of the main reasons I got into LEGO in the first place. That, along with Aqua Raiders and BIONICLE... as much as I love Star Wars, Super Heroes, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and all that other stuff, that stuff is much more expensive and I just want to have something fresh and unique! Most of LEGO's "Big Bang" themes haven't interested me that much, Ninjago's had some cool sets (mostly Dragons), but Legends of Chima? Nexo Knights? They don't do anything for me. BIONICLE came and went with no fanfare, and I have nothing left of interest aside from wickedly expensive licensed sets. I don't know, I hope LEGO surprises us with a dedicated space theme soon. 

1 hour ago, danth said:

City space/NASA: space but not what we mean by Lego "Space" i.e. not sci-fi 

But, this is not to say that the City theme couldn't ever steer into Sci-Fi territory in the near future. Like I've proposed elsewhere in the past, I do think Lego could (and should) take the next Space subtheme of City's to the moon, with a lunar base setting that would pay homage to Classic Space as we knew it. 

1 hour ago, danth said:

Rumors: not space

Ah, but we aren't certain of this yet, as the "space action musical" description given by The Lego Batman Movie director Chris McKay may or may not be implying that. There hasn't been anything yet to lead us to believe that Space may not be a prevalent theme in this upcoming sequel.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

6 hours ago, icm said:

The Arrowhead has nothing to do with Classic Space. Most of the ships used for the sets in the Lego Star Wars cartoon lines such as Freemaker Adventures or Yoda Chrinicles etc, come from the old Star Wars EU/Legacy Materials. Primarily the “Essential Guide to Ships and Vehicles”. For example the Lego “Stealth Fighter” is an EU New Republic E-Wing. The Arrowhead similarly is based on art found in those books. 

I know that most of the sets I pointed out (everything except the Benny ship) can be disqualified as "Lego Space" for one reason or another.  All I'm saying is that perhaps we should cut TLG a little slack and think of "Lego Space" as something more expansive than "minifigures styled like aliens or with sci-fi torso prints doing whatever they do before or beneath a black sky," which pretty much describes all Brickset-acknowledged Space themes. 

Does Batman have a space shuttle in the DC canon, or is the Bat-Shuttle just a case of TLG designers wanting to have fun with a souped-up Space Shuttle and supposing it would fit right in with the absurdity of the rest of the TLBM line?

I don't pretend to know every detail of the old and new Star Wars canon, but as far as I know the Arrowhead was created specifically for the Freemaker show.  Of course it has design influences from the rest of Star Wars, but I don't see any one canonical ship dominating its design the way the Stealth Starfighter is obviously an E-wing.  If that's the case, why not compare it to other ships designed by TLG for TLG?

So, I acknowledge that almost nothing of what I mentioned is Lego Space with a capital S, but it's all "more or less" Lego space to me. 

I do expect that TLG will find a way to release another Space theme that ticks all the standard Space boxes within the next couple of years, just like I expect there will be another Castle theme that ticks all the standard boxes.  I also apologise for getting off-topic by talking about kits that aren't really Space sets in every way.

Edited by icm
Fixed typos, changed some words here and there.

13 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ah, but we aren't certain of this yet, as the "space action musical" description given by The Lego Batman Movie director Chris McKay may or may not be implying that. There hasn't been anything yet to lead us to believe that Space may not be a prevalent theme in this upcoming sequel.

I'm just saying don't count your roosters before they hatch.

We can't claim that something that has yet to happen proves that Lego cares about us Space fans.

Just now, danth said:

I'm just saying don't count your roosters before they hatch.

Of course, as that comment of McKay's just might be referring to the Lego world beyond the basement. How that may be seen in the perspective of a minifigure in the movie has yet to be clarified, but I'd imagine the stated "space" setting might be more metaphorical than how we'd see space ourselves.

6 minutes ago, danth said:

We can't claim that something that has yet to happen proves that Lego cares about us Space fans.

Anything pertaining to Lego's past for the most part is for the sake of paying homage to their heritage, not for us nostalgic fans, so yeah, I don't think we're ever at the forefront of their priorities for the most part.

20 hours ago, skippyfontainne said:

Today, we are going on 5 years. Will the record be set for gaps? i.e. 5+, or will Lego go back to its one of its strengths.

Has Star Wars ensured a longer gap? Note: I am a Star Wars fan.

What say YOU?

Star Wars is the reason

Star Wars IS a space theme. A licensed one.

The thing is, there is a new SW trilogy coming out right now, so LEGO won't produce an in-house space theme to compete against Star Wars

6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The thing is, there is a new SW trilogy coming out right now, so LEGO won't produce an in-house space theme to compete against Star Wars

Make that TWO trilogies! :angry:

Washington Post - A Guide To Every Star Wars Movie And TV Show That's Planned Right Now

3. The new Rian Johnson trilogy

As fans continue to debate every last burn-it-all turn in Johnson’s “The Last Jedi,” the director is guiding the next Star Wars trilogy. Johnson will write and direct the first outing in the new triptych, which Lucasfilm has said will exist outside “the episodic Skywalker saga.” 

4.  The Benioff/Weiss trilogy

The “Game of Thrones” creators will see their epic HBO series launch its final season next year, according to Variety. The pair had planned on a follow-up HBO series, “Confederate” — which imagined an America in which the South had won the Civil War — but as The Washington Post reported in the fall, Benioff and Weiss were no longer working on that technically-still-in-development series after it sparked controversy.

Besides the team’s massive “Game of Thrones” success — they’ve won four Emmys for the series — Benioff received screenplay credits for the critically drubbed 2009 film “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” the sword-and-sandals epic “Troy” and the well-received “Brothers.”

So how might they fare in the world of Star Wars?

As The Post’s Stephanie Merry wrote Tuesday, Benioff and Weiss “have an excellent track record adapting beloved material for a fanatic audience, not to mention coming up with new narratives within an established universe. But HBO is known for giving its showrunners creative freedom, whereas Lucasfilm is not.”

On 2/16/2018 at 1:14 PM, icm said:

You know, I already poo-pooed this idea, but it's a pretty interesting point. I will say that the Arrowhead and Scavenger are some of the most interesting and novel designs to come out of the SW universe for some time. I'm pretty tempted to get the Scavenger to be honest.

Edited by danth

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Star Wars is the reason

Star Wars IS a space theme. A licensed one.

This is wildly untrue. The only break in SPace from Star Wars was right at the begining for about a year and a half. While things settled in. Since then Lego has never had an issue creating Space themes that do not conflict with Star Wars. The closest they came to Star Wars space wise was probably Galaxy Squad. Which had some Clone Wars vibes to it. But generally they can easily keep the two lines apart. Space generally tagets a slightly younger audience that SW anyway. 

Here are a few concepts that I can see Lego going with for Space themes in the not too distant future. While most major themes would out of necessity be some sort of conflict play, I could see a few possible exploration subjects.

- A near future'ish Mars or Planetary explorer theme. A small likely limited 5 set theme with a touch more real space then we typically get. Remember it takes a few years for even a small them to be designed and produced. Not to long ago The Martian was topping the box office. Also note the competition "Mega Construx" has a Mars explorer set out in their Pro (their UCS) line. I could see that as a City offshoot as well. 

- Space Police IV. We seem overdue for this. Probably because of the Lego Batman movie or Lego movies. Although I could also see something like this being a huge element of TLM2. "The Super Sekrit Space Police" this go round? 

- Space Pirates. Yeah you know how Nexo Knights was basically a Castle Space hybrid. Well there is lots of kid fare involving spacegoing pirate sailing ships with lasers and race cars etc. Heck several seasons of Power Rangers feature it. I'm amazed they have gone down that path yet. 5 named main characters engaging in a gather the Macguffins quest while the Galactic Government chases them. 

- A nice adult themed D2C Space set along the same lines as teh TLM Benny set. Maybe a new massive Blacktron ship updated to modern standards. Or a big wheeled Mtron transport base. Much the same way that we saw some nice D2C and large adult targeted sets from TLM, TLBM and TLNinjago, there is a very good chance we will see one of two from TLM2. Probably in the $100-$200 range. 

7 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Here are a few concepts that I can see Lego going with for Space themes in the not too distant future. While most major themes would out of necessity be some sort of conflict play, I could see a few possible exploration subjects.

Both Space Police IV and Space Pirates are two concepts I could definitely see working in this day and age. Heck, I don't know why we haven't seen a fourth iteration for Space Police yet since then. Perhaps a fusion of those two could work? Space Police vs. Space Pirates? :shrug_oh_well:

Now another other concept i could see happening would be for a Space Miners theme. I've kinda gone on about this a little to much elsewhere recently, but such a theme could be seen a successor to 2009-2010's Power Miners, which reportedly was a big success for Lego. But this Space based underground theme wouldn't necessarily be Rock Raiders 2.0 with rusty colors and propellers, as it would more be like Power Miners but with colored canopies and thrusters, while still retaining a Tonka truck aesthetic.

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Both Space Police IV and Space Pirates are two concepts I could definitely see working in this day and age. Heck, I don't know why we haven't seen a fourth iteration for Space Police yet since then. Perhaps a fusion of those two could work? Space Police vs. Space Pirates? :shrug_oh_well:

Now another other concept i could see happening would be for a Space Miners theme. I've kinda gone on about this a little to much elsewhere recently, but such a theme could be seen a successor to 2009-2010's Power Miners, which reportedly was a big success for Lego. But this Space based underground theme wouldn't necessarily be Rock Raiders 2.0 with rusty colors and propellers, as it would more be like Power Miners but with colored canopies and thrusters, while still retaining a Tonka truck aesthetic.

Probably because Space POlice dances a little too close to the Batman stuff with the strange villains. 

3 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Probably because Space POlice dances a little too close to the Batman stuff with the strange villains. 

But Ultra Agents did pretty much the same thing, even more so I think.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I believe I remember seeing a designer refer to it as "post-space"—occurring chronologically after space themes like Galaxy Squad (as evidenced by the older Solomon Blaze from that theme) and having sci-fi technology like that seen in space themes despite not actually taking place IN space. Nexo Knights occupies this same sort of space (pardon the pun) as a space-inspired theme that doesn't actually leave the planet. Even Alien Conquest is similar, despite being accepted more widely as a space theme, since while it featured invaders from space the setting never actually left Earth. And from there it's not a huge leap to themes like Mars Mission or Rock Raiders, that took place entirely on planets other than Earth despite not directly featuring off-planet action.

Because of this wide spectrum of "space themes", I wouldn't necessarily consider space as a theme to be over and done with. Even if the Star Wars license specifically forbids other themes that with interplanetary or interstellar settings (and I seriously doubt it's THAT granular in terms of what sorts of competing themes are not allowed), I think space is a flexible enough theme to get around that, and it's arguably already been doing so.

Edited by Lyichir

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

If I remember correctly, Ultra Agents didn't do too well at the cash register.

9 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Because of this wide spectrum of "space themes", I wouldn't necessarily consider space as a theme to be over and done with. Even if the Star Wars license specifically forbids other themes that with interplanetary or interstellar settings (and I seriously doubt it's THAT granular in terms of what sorts of competing themes are not allowed), I think space is a flexible enough theme to get around that, and it's arguably already been doing so.

Hence Nexo Knights, because with its landbound Classic Spacecraft-like vehicles, it seems like designers ulteriorly were only doing their best to give fans the Space material they wanted while working around Star Wars. It's just that the meshing of Space with Castle ended up annoying a whole other group of fans in the process.

B.T.W, unless you did understand, I was just pointing out in my prior post how Ultra Agents had Batman-esque villains too while coexisting alongside the DC Comics theme.

43 minutes ago, x105Black said:

If I remember correctly, Ultra Agents didn't do too well at the cash register.

Perhaps not as well as other lines, but not so bad as to only have one wave, as Ultra Agents did give us three waves over two years. Maybe that might not have been what Lego hoped for in terms of success, but that's a run I wouldn't consider a disappointment myself. 

The question is, was Ultra Agents supposed to be a three year "big bang" theme like Ninjago and company, or just a typical two year action theme?

7 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The question is, was Ultra Agents supposed to be a three year "big bang" theme like Ninjago and company, or just a typical two year action theme?

It was not a "big bang", though I don't know for sure whether that means it was only planned for two years. The definition of "big bang" mostly just has to do with how much money, time, and attention LEGO devotes to a theme at launch. "Big bang" themes do tend to have other commonalities besides that, but they can still be pretty varied. For example, Power Miners was not nearly as character- or story-driven as Ninjago or Nexo Knights, but it was the LEGO Group's "big bang" in 2009.

14 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hence Nexo Knights, because with its landbound Classic Spacecraft-like vehicles, it seems like designers ulteriorly were only doing their best to give fans the Space material they wanted while working around Star Wars. It's just that the meshing of Space with Castle ended up annoying a whole other group of fans in the process.

B.T.W, unless you did understand, I was just pointing out in my prior post how Ultra Agents had Batman-esque villains too while coexisting alongside the DC Comics theme.

Perhaps not as well as other lines, but not so bad as to only have one wave, as Ultra Agents did give us three waves over two years. Maybe that might not have been what Lego hoped for in terms of success, but that's a run I wouldn't consider a disappointment myself. 

I vaguely remember reading that it was planned as a ONE-wave theme but was extended both because of decent sales and because it was viewed as a good space in which to test the "app brick" concept. Don't quote me on that, though.

I'll also say that "typical two-year action theme" might not be a great phrase to use because I also think I remember reading that Atlantis was planned as a single-year theme and was extended due to much stronger sales than expected. That leaves, what, Power Miners as the archetypical "two-year" theme? Not enough of a precedent to interpret a trend from, at any rate.

Edited by Lyichir

On 2/16/2018 at 2:14 PM, icm said:

There are several long ongoing discussions about this general topic on the forums, but this is a fair question.  As you note, the record has already been set for gaps, if we don't count the pre-minifig space sets.  Despite the long gap and the dominance of Star Wars on the shelves, I don't think the situation for Lego Space fans is as bad as some people on the forum make it out to be.  We'll probably see another in-house Space theme in the next year or two, but even if we don't we should consider what Lego has done in the meantime:

2014 - Ideas Exo-Suit

2015 City Space subtheme

Frankly, this sums up pretty nicely what I think. Lego is very self aware of their old themes, and love to reference back to them (heck for a bizarre example, look at the Galidor shirt guy from the Ninjago City set...). But I don't think the market for an old school sci-fi theme is out there today. I see a lot of AFOLs pining for the return of classic space; but while we do get some references to it such as Benny and his ship; I doubt kids today really want to have an entire collection of flat wedge shaped blue and gray ships! Its a nostalgia factor for a lot of AFOL's, but once we take a step back and look at current trends in Sci-Fi, I don't see kids really wanting the almost Kubrick-esque space styles of classic space (I'm of the age group that came around after classic space's era came to pass, so I really have looked at it more as "my Dad's era" then my own. Considering kids today are even one more generation removed from it then I , its probably a good bet that Benny really is their only interaction with the old space era).. So frankly, I think Lego's method of dropping some classic themed space sets one at a time, is a good approach. Enough to give AFOL's a nostalgia trip, while not being to much of a risk with kids (especially in the case of Benny's ship which was tied into a hit film too!)

If Lego does cook up an in house original Sci-Fi theme, Space Police could be a good one to revive, or the maybe some other flashy outer galactic adventure. Kind of a space western, cowboys v. outlaws, the final frontier pushing back, etc. Then sprinkle in some references to old themes for nostalgia. 

Of course, if Lego really wants to go crazy... they could go for a Lego Space "Universe" in the same vein as a certain popular cinematic superhero franchise... Introduce new themes, but work to connect them to each other and older themes in the same way old Classic Space Factions were seen as part of the same story. I know Atlantis and Power Miners kind of did that lately... but I can see more potential in space for it. New Space Police for example could easily tie into some older themes such as Galactic Conquest, Blacktron, even Insectoid and Hero Factory could really work together in a shared setting. Focus the effort on new character's and ships, but let the old fans be surprised when a ship or character from an older theme just pops back into the story... 

2 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

But I don't think the market for an old school sci-fi theme is out there today. I see a lot of AFOLs pining for the return of classic space; but while we do get some references to it such as Benny and his ship; I doubt kids today really want to have an entire collection of flat wedge shaped blue and gray ships! Its a nostalgia factor for a lot of AFOL's, but once we take a step back and look at current trends in Sci-Fi, I don't see kids really wanting the almost Kubrick-esque space styles of classic space 

Star Wars is an old school sci-fi theme. The designs are from the 70's...same as Classic Space and Kubrick. The space ship designs from all three are from the same era and very similar. Star Wars fandom is all nostalgia...What's the difference? 

And it's not even what kids want that matters. It's mostly adults buying SW sets and teaching their kids to like them. 

You're right about kids not wanting blue and gray wedge ships. They want just gray wedge ships...like Star Destroyers. Or plain gray hamburger ships like the Millenium Falcon. Or the same Jedi Starfighter wedge ship over and over again. The fact is people will buy whatever they see in movies or on TV. Benny's Spaceship sold just fine because people saw it in the movie.

The reason we don't have Classic Space sets is because Star Wars is a huge cash cow. Not because kids wouldn't like them. 

Anyway. We all know the answer to this. Creator sets. Just make one decent, non-licensed Castle and Space creator set each year. Give it enough parts to be versatile and people will buy them in multiples. 

Edited by danth