Back to mid in the last year, I started a MOC project. The goal is to MOC a Jeep Renegade. Link is:

My jeep renegade

The project lasted for an unexpected long time. I just lost my creation and interest after finishing the chassis and most of the body work. After a long break, I decided to give up the MOC. I think it is mainly because my love of Renegade is rather limited. I chose that car as a MOC target simply because I think its square shape is easy to build. So I grew more and more bored with it and finally made up my mind to stop the project.

During disassembling it, I came to an idea to make a standalone car chassis MOC. Since like its real world counterpart, the difference between chassis of a same class is not as much as body works. Especially the car makers today are prone to have a generic platform for all their products to save cost. It makes sense in lego world too. It will benefit a lot if I have a generic chassis which works easily with different body works. 

With that, what I was trying to build a chassis which has:

• Adjustable riding height
  • Manual/PF powered configuration
  • Adjustable wheel base
  • 3 drive configurations: FWD/RWD/AWD

Besides, it has:

• Compact size which is "only" 18 studs wide
  • 62.4 mm wheels
  • McPherson front suspension
  • Multi link rear suspension
  • Working steering wheel
  • rigid framework

As a result, it fits best as chassis for compact SUVs or sedans.

Instruction:

RB link.

Pics:

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

A closer look at front and rear suspension:

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Riding height has an adjustable range of 1 stud, as you can see, the white one is lower.

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Edited by falconluan

Looks great and I really like the idea of having a platform that can serve as base for all kinds of SUV-like vehicles. I only doubt whether anyone will actually use it to build their own bodywork, but building a chassis-only model can be fun too.

Edited by Didumos69

The white car front wheels certainly sit better no positive camber as a chassis study in find it interesting more so the rear suspension setup 

Edited by brickless_kiwi
Carrot phone

Looks good, just steering wheel is for me to big 

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Good idea, but those axles :sceptic:

Could be featured in Ben Hur - a tale of Christ 

benhur2.jpg

Nice idea, but I'm not sold on the suspension axles. With only one universal joint, the camber will change considerably as the suspension moves, and because the drivetrain joint isn't aligned with the suspension's joints, won't the wheel shaft slide in and out as the suspension compresses? I like the drivetrain though - am I right in thinking each motor powers one side of the car?

4 hours ago, TheMindGarage said:

Nice idea, but I'm not sold on the suspension axles. With only one universal joint, the camber will change considerably as the suspension moves, and because the drivetrain joint isn't aligned with the suspension's joints, won't the wheel shaft slide in and out as the suspension compresses? I like the drivetrain though - am I right in thinking each motor powers one side of the car?

The 3*3 frame can swing around motor output axle. I think it acts like the universal joint. 

Yes, each motor powers one side of car.

5 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Nice idea. Any particular reason the axles stick out about 2-2.5L? And how much travel does the suspension actually have?

The 5.5L with stop axles are used to prevent wheels to pop out.

The travel of suspension is a little more than 1L.

Nice chassis. What do you have in mind now? What kind of SUV?

8 hours ago, rm8 said:

Nice chassis. What do you have in mind now? What kind of SUV?

Actually, it was in my mind before: jeep renegade

I stopped building it a while ago.

IMG_20170723_180927.jpg

18 hours ago, falconluan said:

Actually, it was in my mind before: jeep renegade

I stopped building it a while ago.

very cool! don't stop it! Was the chassis a reason to stop?

Edited by rm8

On Sun Feb 18 2018 at 3:28 PM, rm8 said:

very cool! don't stop it! Was the chassis a reason to stop?

Nope, it was because of the rear end and tailgate. The project lasted too long and I just ran out patience, ideas and interest in it....:grin:

Too bad about the Jeep, you were onto something with that one in this scale :sceptic: But if doesn't give you joy, then don't do it.

I like the idea of the universal chassis and to see a 4WD/RWD/AWD in this scale is quite an achievement:thumbup:

Keep up the good work