Midlife-crisis

[WIP/LDD] Star destroyer 1:250

Hello,

my plan is to make a battle szene with mortesv Nebulon B and the Correlian Corvette, both are scale 250:1

And this is the problem, a "in scale" 1600m Star destroyer would be 640cm long. Far more space and bricks i can effort.

So im building simultaneously in LDD and real the nose and just the nose of a Star destroyer. The greebling height is aproximately 12Studs in this scale.

Picture quality of the studio model is rare if someone has a good reference i would appreciate if you could share the link. Found plenty of different versions of greebling around the star destroyer.

To make things a little bit more comlicated :cry_happy: i try to design this as an alternate build of the 10030 and use only the original parts. This will cause a few compromises.

This is the actual progress in LDD AND real bricks.

isdbasehgjcp.png

I'm trying to build a microscale fleet as well but it never occurred to me to build only part of a star destroyer to fit, looks great so far!

actual LDD progress:

basetks3d.jpg

leftupperleso0.jpg

unfortunately some connections are illegal in LDD but work well with real bricks.

the real model is boltet to my "battle wall"

cimg3790m6uqt31p6o.jpg

cimg3791t3ud3h1o3l.jpg

Impressive, the side greebling is fantastic! I can’t image how awesome a whole destroyer at this scale would look!

It would be awesome if you could print a high quality shot of a Star Destroyer and put it up on the wall. It would be like it was flying out of the wall. Have to find a image at the right angle to pull it off.

Looks good. Most people don't realize the width of a Star Destroyer is equal to its length, take a minute and put that into perspective in this scale lol.

12 hours ago, Jollygrnreefer said:

Looks good. Most people don't realize the width of a Star Destroyer is equal to its length, take a minute and put that into perspective in this scale lol.

A Star Destroyer as wide as it is long? Sorry, but that's not true.

https://www.google.de/search?q=star+destroyer+blueprint&client=opera&hs=u4v&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDxLev6sDZAhUIJlAKHRxJAd0Q_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=672#imgrc=JZlK0NEyMlONKM: 

I’m planning a much smaller build than this and the width of a ISD is wider than most realize. After taking measurements of good official drawings and pictures of the empire strikes back studio model it looks to be in the area of about 1000 meters wide given the standard 1600 meter length. Which I have seen listed one or two times listed as the width  

The problem with lego is we are limited on angles.  The wing plates only come in certain angles and none are really right. They don’t give the right width compared to length. So we usually end up with narrower destroyers. 

On 23.2.2018 at 7:16 PM, Ellisss_2 said:

Impressive, the side greebling is fantastic! I can’t image how awesome a whole destroyer at this scale would look!

Thank you, there are plenty of different drawings, i picked the one which looks most reasonable to me. Unfortunately there are many illegal connections for the LDD.

Don´t know how to do the greebling in LDD yet - will make this step by step and look where it takes me.

4 hours ago, stormtroopercaptain said:

I’m planning a much smaller build than this and the width of a ISD is wider than most realize. After taking measurements of good official drawings and pictures of the empire strikes back studio model it looks to be in the area of about 1000 meters wide given the standard 1600 meter length. Which I have seen listed one or two times listed as the width  

The problem with lego is we are limited on angles.  The wing plates only come in certain angles and none are really right. They don’t give the right width compared to length. So we usually end up with narrower destroyers. 

very true - as you can see on the hull plate the angel isn´t straight, i decided to go for correct dimensions instead of perfect hull gaps. Never the less there can be many improvements on the hull plates to make these gaps smaller and

look more uniform.

BTW: we are talking about "this area"

isd250jssn2.jpg

On 2/15/2018 at 2:36 PM, Midlife-crisis said:

a "in scale" 1600m Star destroyer would be 640cm long.

640cm is 21 feet. Yeah, that's long. It'd be quite an order on Bricklink.

How long do you expect this to take you? And will you make the LDD file available when you're done?

Also I would suggest framing that image on your last post and putting it on the wall nearby. It's a nice reference.

Very cool!

Interesting to see you added bits of tan and red to the outside build. Never seen that on a Star Destroyer, what made you choose to do that? 

Oh woah! This looks really impressive and with that amount of greebling! I love it!

Would you be releasing the LDD for the rest of us to try our hand at creating the ISD "chasing" the Rebel Fleet? :grin:

Edited by Azrielsc

12 hours ago, Darthmarty said:

640cm is 21 feet. Yeah, that's long. It'd be quite an order on Bricklink.

How long do you expect this to take you? And will you make the LDD file available when you're done?

Also I would suggest framing that image on your last post and putting it on the wall nearby. It's a nice reference.

Very cool!

thanks, there will be a background, but i think it will be just a nebula or something, a star destroyer will look cool for sure, but that might look very overloaded in my small area.

11 hours ago, TheGeneralMoe said:

Interesting to see you added bits of tan and red to the outside build. Never seen that on a Star Destroyer, what made you choose to do that? 

just my personal note for this build, there where never a 1:250 scale before - even if the imperial fleet is like new, i think there are some small areas with dirt or rust.

@ecmo47 would like to see the hull plated with tiles, i think this would look very cool - it´s just a great area.

11 hours ago, Azrielsc said:

Oh woah! This looks really impressive and with that amount of greebling! I love it!

Would you be releasing the LDD for the rest of us to try our hand at creating the ISD "chasing" the Rebel Fleet? :grin:

Sure, there will be a release of the LDD, but this won´t be a perfect moc, and i´m not sure if i can do the whole greebling in LDD. But i´ll try.

5 hours ago, Midlife-crisis said:

Sure, there will be a release of the LDD, but this won´t be a perfect moc, and i´m not sure if i can do the whole greebling in LDD. But i´ll try.

It will definitely be a challenge but I guess you can leave it up to the builder to go crazy with his/her version of ISD greebling! :thumbup: