teknix1

Technic, Link 1 x 5 (30397) A Real Link?

Hi,

I stumbled across the part 30397 (Technic, Link 1 x 5) online and I'm confused. In the sets produced by Lego, it looks like that part is always used with pins. But I thought the "Link" system was to be used with towballs (like in part 6628, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Towball). The 1 x 6 Link (2739) and other longer links are skinnier which makes me believe the 1 x 5 link isn't meant as part of the same system. I don't have those parts to physically compare and try them and I can't imagine a towball would fit where a pin would. What's the deal?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Nic

You're right. That 1x5 link is not compatible with towballs. I think it's only called a link because it's only connection points are at either end, whereas a beam would also have connection points in the middle. Like a link of chain or a link of tank/bulldozer/excavator track, a link doesn't need to have ball joint connections in order to be a link.

Looks like the smallest link is 6L, is this right? Are there other parts that are compatible with towballs? I would need a 5L or 4L.

Nic

@Aventador2004, I have never seen this part before. I don't think I can use this, I should have mentioned this isn't for a steering mechanism but rather for an automatic door system. At this point I think my best bet would be to make the 6L work. 

@LvdH, I'm really not a car guy, I'm not sure I can apply what you are saying (as I am building a door system as I just mentioned), could you point me to a part number so I can have a look?

I also need the part to be frictionless, which is what I believe all parts in the Link/towball systems are. I did see another part, 14418 (Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Small Towball Socket on End). It doesn't seem to be used in a frictionless manner in the Lego sets. Is there a trick to determine which are and which aren't?

sometimes, when you come across an unusual part, that you don't own, I find it best to look at the sets it appeared in, and see how it was used:

6470-1.jpg

as you can see.. this clearly shows that it's basically a 5L liftarm, with no holes in the middle!

I may be able to use the chamfered liftarm, that's a good suggestion.

Funny that @RohanBeckett put up that exact image, I had a look at that same model, but I wondered if it was somehow dual-purpose and that the towball would somehow fit where the pin hole is.

Thanks to everyone for contributing!