Sign in to follow this  
HeraldicBanner

Lego WWII Balao-Class Sumbarine

Hello! I'm thinking of building a Balao-class sumbarine to honor a submarine that I spent a night on a few days ago.  I'm not sure, however, what pieces I should use or how to design the engines/torpedo rooms; do you have any advice?  Thanks!

I'd start by deciding whether to make a model of the Sub or a Diorama of the interior rooms.
Then decide on scale, are we going micro/midi/model builder or minifig scale interiors for example.
Google up a solid batch of good pictures of what you are trying to replicate.
Then fire up stud.io and start by trying to replicate the most distinctive shapes/features of the ship or room.
You might find that certain features can only be built with certain bricks which may force a scale for the rest.

The movie "Down Periscope" prominently features a Baleo-class Sub (according to a line in the film anyway, I never bothered to fact check it).

According to Wikipedia: "USS Pampanito, a Balao-class submarine from World War II, now a museum ship and memorial in San Francisco, played the part of the USS Stingray."
That might make the movie a decent source of references, especially of the interior.
I recall good views of the engine room, torpedo room, captain's quarters and to a lesser extent the bridge.