Recommended Posts

A vessel orginially planned for the ESL-MAR conflict has finally been finished. A little bit late, but with a bit of luck (?) it can find a use in the future. Here is the Bomb Ketch Thunder:

40251797181_f67a717f0e_b.jpg

39354042725_e53039ebeb_b.jpg

25381125687_8aefb7b543_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice ketch, although I've already seen it elsewhere but I can't help myself but to admire it.

The black band is well integrated with the white hull, my favourites are the bow rails and the stern decoration. And these microfigs are hilarious.:roflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, deraven said:

Great little ship.  That detailing on the aft really stands out.  Nicely done!  :classic:

Thanks!

9 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Nicely built ship @Legostone!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Great vessel as always !

The decoration of the stern is top notch !

Great to see a bomb ketch added to our fleet ! Good job !

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

Very nice ketch, although I've already seen it elsewhere but I can't help myself but to admire it.

The black band is well integrated with the white hull, my favourites are the bow rails and the stern decoration. And these microfigs are hilarious.:roflmao:

Thanks! I think a white top part would be best, but that sadly doesn't exist. You might have spotted it in the BMA pictures; there it was just lacking a handful of strings in the rigging which I finally added here. Reminds me, I should push Captain Green Hair to finally post his Le Fleuron... And see if I can loan out the Brig again, I've yet to take good pictures of that one, and I think it needs couple fixes anyways... (construction workers knocked it over a couple of times in the last couple weeks but otherwise its well appreciated)

As for the micro figs - I can't not recommend picking up a couple in yellow and maybe blue, they are quite cheap and work well for this kind of decoration :pir-laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Faladrin said:

The decoration of the stern is top notch !

Yep.  That jumped out at me too.  Very creative.

It's a lovely vessel overall ofc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely ship. I love the shape, and your rigging and sails are always excellent. The job on the stern decorations is wonderful; I really struggle with that on my ships. Well done! :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/2/14 at 9:20 PM, Legostone said:

I should push Captain Green Hair to finally post his Le Fleuron... And see if I can loan out the Brig again, I've yet to take good pictures of that one, and I think it needs couple fixes anyways...

Take your time, it's awfully rude to be pushy.:pir-tongue: You greenies have already a ton of vessels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful bomb ketch, LS.

What stands out the most to me is the rig - you have managed a very convincing rendition of the the ketch rig, and I like the chains as forestay, and the pits for the mortars. Is the sails made form some sort of cloth, or "just" red paper of some sort? The colour is really cool.

Book beak and stern looks really nice, although you appear to have some structural issues in the bows! You have also managed to use the old hull pieces without making her appear too tall, something that I have been struggling with myself on my little brig.

My only suggestion would be to add some minifigures and a story - perhaps some sort of scene around it. Right now, this is just a bomb ketch. We know nothing of its armament, crew, captain, where it belogs, or why it was built.

Considering the work you ended up doing for your galleon, I think this one could use a little more lore :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, very nice ship! I think this is the first bomb kecth here in BoBS, and I like your design, with the mainmast a little backward and the mortar pits... but surely I would rather not to see it approaching to my port! :pir-grin:

Edited by Keymonus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I know very little about rigging, (and even less about actually building it!) I certainly love the way you've done this one - It instantly stood out as a bomb ketch when I first saw it. The way the mortars are mounted also stands out. Great job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, Kwatchi said:

Yep.  That jumped out at me too.  Very creative.

It's a lovely vessel overall ofc.

Thanks!

On 2/14/2018 at 8:00 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Lovely ship. I love the shape, and your rigging and sails are always excellent. The job on the stern decorations is wonderful; I really struggle with that on my ships. Well done! :thumbup:

I don't believe that second parts - especially on your Galleons you do a great job of that!

12 hours ago, Bodi said:

Take your time, it's awfully rude to be pushy.:pir-tongue: You greenies have already a ton of vessels.

Haha :pir-laugh:

6 hours ago, Bregir said:

Beautiful bomb ketch, LS.

What stands out the most to me is the rig - you have managed a very convincing rendition of the the ketch rig, and I like the chains as forestay, and the pits for the mortars. Is the sails made form some sort of cloth, or "just" red paper of some sort? The colour is really cool.

Book beak and stern looks really nice, although you appear to have some structural issues in the bows! You have also managed to use the old hull pieces without making her appear too tall, something that I have been struggling with myself on my little brig.

My only suggestion would be to add some minifigures and a story - perhaps some sort of scene around it. Right now, this is just a bomb ketch. We know nothing of its armament, crew, captain, where it belogs, or why it was built.

Considering the work you ended up doing for your galleon, I think this one could use a little more lore :)

 

Its me trying out dipping the cloth in glue beforehand so they don't fray out on the edges. Its a bit too rigid for my taste, gonna have to try more water, less glue next time I do this.

The structural issue is something I also noticed after taking the pics, I must have forgotten pressing that back down after I had reinforced the rigging... The Ketch is actually taller at the bow then your small brig, but I guess the black top on the hull hides that better. 

I would love to add some minifigs - sadly this ship resides in the dorms; I only have this ship and the Destiny's Bounty (yet, I'm gonna do something with that one too... not sure what exactly yet...) here, no minifigs beyond ninjas. I can see about a little bit of a backstory later... Armament there isn't much beyond 6 small guns and 2 heavy mortars :pir-laugh:

4 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Wow, very nice ship! I think this is the first bomb kecth here in BoBS, and I like your design, with the mainmast a little backward and the mortar pits... but surely I would rather not to see it approaching to my port! :pir-grin:

 I think @Bregir has one posted somewhere, but I fear it was kinda forgotten... and don't worry about your port for the time being, I'm a little too late finishing it anyways... (should've been done before the end of the ESL-MAR war :pir-laugh:

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Although I know very little about rigging, (and even less about actually building it!) I certainly love the way you've done this one - It instantly stood out as a bomb ketch when I first saw it. The way the mortars are mounted also stands out. Great job!

Basic rigging like this is actually simple, just look at some pictures and give it a try :pir-wink: Don't forget the sections in the mast (pretty well visible in the first picture) and go from there. With just 2 small midsections you can build some pretty nice looking ships... Zephyr, Tit, Tribute, El Matador, La Salamandra are ones that come to my mind right away, but I'm sure there are more. Hngghh, this list makes me want to dig out my 3 small midsection prototype that has been sitting for half a year now... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent build @Legostone! I love the stern and bow detailing. The Use of Heroica figures is especially nice, as is the lantern.

I'd really like to have seen a story and/or a crew with this one though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.