Sign in to follow this  
Reza

Should 12v train motor bb12vb be split on bricklink catalogs?

Hello again,

The catalog administrator(s) is not convinced to split the types 2 and 3 train motor on catalog of bricklink. I wrote a message on bricklink forum to invite people giving their opinion for or against this. To simplify matters, I copy my thread on bricklink here. Please take time and comment your opinion on bricklink to help the admins making the best decision.

Here is the link:

https://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=1076560

And here is my thread:

It is known that the 12V train motors came in 4 types. Please see photos 1 and

Variations of Lego train 12V motors

Variations of Lego train 12V motors

Numbered black and red 12V motors from top

Their difference are on top "pin" and contact holes.
On types 1 and 2, the pin is integrated to the case, but on types 3 and 4, the
pin is separated from the case, so if you open the motor, you can take off the
pin. This is advantageous if the pin of your motor is broken, then you can find
another motor that don't work, and uses its pin to repair your motor. see
the third photo in which I drew a yellow circle around the pin.

broken motor type 3

On bricklink catalogs, the types 2 and 3 are not distinguished, both named bb12vb.
In summary:
bb12va (red or black): type 1
bb12vb (red or black): types 2 AND 3
bb12vc (available only in black): type 4
bb12v: undetermined type

The Catalog Administrator(s) is not convinced to split bb12vb in two items. I
don't find this consistent with other items split in various types. For example,
part "4085 Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical" is split in 4 items even
if it is very hard to distinguish them from each other.
I think it is useful to distinguish parts 2 and 3, and split bb12vb. At the
same type, bb12v will be kept for undetermined type.
Please note that type 2 motor was released since 1981 until mid-1982 so it could
not have come with trains 7735 or 7745 from 1985. There are other examples similar
to this. This would be important for collectors, who want to have the correct
type motor on their 12v train(s).
Please comment here and give your opinion (for or against).

Edited by Reza

Any luck on getting type 2 and 3 split on Bricklink? I think you are absolutely right, it should be a separate entry. Also with regard to the pin, I do not believe the design was changed to make the pin replaceable. Lego never sold replacement pins, and also the 12v case is not designed to be opened and cannot be opened without damage. Rather, I believe the design was changed to correct the problem of pins shearing off. Consider the entire weight of a train is being pulled by that single pin when the train is in motion. The new pin design is of a slight softer and therefore more flexible and stronger material, than the standard Lego ABS the rest of the motor case and the entire case with integrated pin is made of. Standard Lego ABS is quite brittle when used in thin, small parts that need some amount of flexibility, and alternative plastics were  used for many parts like clips, hooks, and  flagpoles.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:47 AM, Jetflap said:

Any luck on getting type 2 and 3 split on Bricklink? I think you are absolutely right, it should be a separate entry. Also with regard to the pin, I do not believe the design was changed to make the pin replaceable. Lego never sold replacement pins, and also the 12v case is not designed to be opened and cannot be opened without damage. Rather, I believe the design was changed to correct the problem of pins shearing off. Consider the entire weight of a train is being pulled by that single pin when the train is in motion. The new pin design is of a slight softer and therefore more flexible and stronger material, than the standard Lego ABS the rest of the motor case and the entire case with integrated pin is made of. Standard Lego ABS is quite brittle when used in thin, small parts that need some amount of flexibility, and alternative plastics were  used for many parts like clips, hooks, and  flagpoles.

They postponed making a decision. However, if you comment on that link and express your opinion, it would help.
Yes I had heard about the material of the pin being different. However, if you have a broken type 3 motor, you want to know what broken motor you should buy (2nd or 3rd type) to replace the broken part. I bought one broken motor  in last summer for this reason. (without knowing its type)

1 hour ago, Reza said:

However, if you comment on that link and express your opinion, it would help.

Done!

On 2/28/2018 at 5:49 AM, technic70s said:

I agree and have commented as well. :-)

More and more commented on that thread supporting the split. We are one more step closer to the victory :-)