THERIZE

NS DE4 / SBB RAm TEE

Hello there, 

This is a Dutch/Swiss TEE diesel-electric trainset built in 1957 for Trans Europ Express service. Five of these sets were built, two were ordered by the SBB and three by NS. 

38491422720_3a719c7e51_b.jpg

The train is 8 studs wide and powered by two train motors situated under the coach behind the power car. The power car itself houses the battery box and receiver.

39403438765_2d225c0821_b.jpg

The power car. 

40300794081_1789babfff_b.jpg

The couplings between the coaches. I haven't tested the bogies in real life but I'm pretty sure that it can drive on R40 curves. 

38491421020_dc350fdecf_b.jpg

The cab car. 

38491422230_f40a967646_b.jpg

Here you can see the interior of the train. A problem I had while building the coaches is the placement of the doors because they don't line up on both sides. 

40300793821_f8921f635d_b.jpg

The coach with closed compartments. 

39403439505_e236fc834a_b.jpg

The kitchen. 

39403438505_3495c4acd5_b.jpg

And the cabine. The train operated as a push-pull set.  

39529020014_0902c753e3_b.jpg

In 1974 the trains were removed from service and stored at Utrecht until they were bought by the Ontario Northland Railway and used for service there. The trains were painted in a livery consisting of blue and yellow.

Edited by THERIZE

Hello

First: very nice train, it is easily recognisable and there are a lot of details in the inside.

About the nose: I would use pictures taken form the side or maybe even a drawing if available and hold it over the built nose. Then you see where your Moc can be improved. You can also add a row of bricks to the underside of your cars, so that they don't look so empty there. You can also add tiles snoted to the boogies. Probably the cars also look a bit off becaues they are too short compared to the height, so they look higher than they actually are.

Feel free to also take a look at my SBB RAe TEE II.

http://16052045243_562d657010.jpgCab car by StefanEris, auf Flickr

Great model, instantly recognizable, both the NS/SBB and the Ontario Northlander. 

Interestingto hear that you say you are not sure about the nose, because I think, knowing the prototype pretty well, that this design is spot-on! I know how difficult the noses of Dutch trains between the thirties and the seventies are to replicate in Legos, but you just nailed it.

This looks very good. I think the cars could benefit from some form of undercarriage but presumably you just haven't got to that bit yet. Excellent work

I like it. I’m not sure you’re going to get the shape of the nose much closer to the real train than you already have.

With regard to the bogies, perhaps you need to build the bodysides down towards the track and maybe fit some skirts to the bogies to hide them a bit.

I think you've done a really good job of the nose, certainly better than I could ever do! I like the colour schemes and the interior detailing. I agree that perhaps just one row of bricks underneath the carriages would make them look a little less high.

It would certainly be interesting to see it in real bricks, at least one end, just to see how the nose shapes up. I'm not entirely sure how (if) you could improve the buildability without having a detailed look at the model. Overall, though, good work.

Great train! The prototype is instantly recognizable - and one of my favorite trains. (Just yesterday I watched a historical episode of a German TV show about this train...).

I do not see how to improve the nose with LEGO, I like it. But you need to add an additional row beneath the carriages - covering the bogies with some red tile (e.g. like Stefaneris did). Your train is 8 wide, so there should be enough space for some brackets.

First: thank you all very much for the kind comments. I’m glad to hear that other people like the model and that it is recognisable as the real thing. The feedback is appreciated a lot and I’m now busy with the skirting under the coaches. Sadly I cannot show the images yet because both the computer and LDD itself are acting up. 

Edited by THERIZE

I have edited the top post with new images of the trainset. 

Edited by THERIZE

Nice, looks better.  I like the Ontario Northland version.  We shipped them back overseas.  I think Ontario Northland now only provide regular passenger bus service, no more regular passenger trains.  :sad:

I have replaced all the TEE images with renders. I decided not to render the Northlander livery because I'm not to bothered with the alternative livery.