Hey Everyone,

So with the announcement of 42083 I have had W16 engines on my mind.  Thought I would make a little rendition of my own.  It is too small for 42083, but it is Technic Figure scale, based on newer proposals of mini-engines that have been around for a while. Complete with the four turbos (at least the appearance of them).  I wish something like this could be in 42083, for based on the promo video I think any proposal with the current engine blocks will be too big, chunky and overall sloppy-looking. 

20180211_093745

20180211_09362220180210_184428edit

20180210_184546

Ingenious! Looks great and runs well - only criticism is that the inner banks of cylinders seem to vibrate quite a lot since they're only supported by the 157.5 connectors.

This is a cool little engine and it sounds great! :thumbup: however if I’m not mistaken I see two crankshafts there, so it’s mechanically incorrect.. 

Edited by sm1995

Looks good, I just wish I had a common crank. It does sound like an engine.... One that's been drained of oil :tongue:

On 2/13/2018 at 4:06 AM, TheMindGarage said:

Ingenious! Looks great and runs well - only criticism is that the inner banks of cylinders seem to vibrate quite a lot since they're only supported by the 157.5 connectors.

Actually, you are partly right.  It really is not both inner banks.... if you look closely  the right side (if looking at a frontal shot of the engine) is actually fairly sound while, you're correct, the left side vibrates a lot. And this is not due to being connected by only two 157.5 connectors, because the right side, as well as the outer banks, are also only connected by the same.  Any idea why the left, outer bank vibrates so much?  Guesses? 

18 hours ago, sm1995 said:

This is a cool little engine and it sounds great! :thumbup: however if I’m not mistaken I see two crankshafts there, so it’s mechanically incorrect.. 

17 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Looks good, I just wish I had a common crank. It does sound like an engine.... One that's been drained of oil :tongue:

Yes, there are two cranks, so both of you are correct, it is mechanically incorrect.  I guess there is a trade off here.... mechanically correct (one axle) or an offset in the cylinders. 

17 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Nice work on fitting two rows of cylinders.  I tried it last week with this design but it wasn't a success.

I just saw your post.  Looks like we both had similar ideas  :wink:   I guess now the question is if people want to have only one axle or the offset. 

But..... I have a feeling that someone out there is working on a solution and we may have the best of both worlds soon  :wink:

On 14/02/2018 at 11:17 AM, nerdsforprez said:

Actually, you are partly right.  It really is not both inner banks.... if you look closely  the right side (if looking at a frontal shot of the engine) is actually fairly sound while, you're correct, the left side vibrates a lot. And this is not due to being connected by only two 157.5 connectors, because the right side, as well as the outer banks, are also only connected by the same.  Any idea why the left, outer bank vibrates so much?  Guesses?

Maybe it's something to do with the direction of rotation of the two crankshafts? If the two crankshafts are rotating in the same direction, because of the symmetry of the engine, one bank will experience different rocking forces to the other.

13 hours ago, TheMindGarage said:

Maybe it's something to do with the direction of rotation of the two crankshafts? If the two crankshafts are rotating in the same direction, because of the symmetry of the engine, one bank will experience different rocking forces to the other.

Yup, exactly.  One side the series of thin liftarms are rotating away from the bank whereas the other is rotating towards.  That which the crankshaft rotates towards has much more force (therefore rocking) than the other. 

So back at it.... and here is version II that rectified the problems in the past. 

- W16

- Accurate 1/2 cylinder offset

- Accurate cylinder offset direction

- Single crankshaft

- Technic figure scale

- Less friction than previous version (due to only one crankshaft

Ultimately I still think this would be too small for TLG's 42083 version coming out.  But, I think it would be a perfect size for like a 1/10 or 1/12 version of the car. 

1519056064m_DISPLAY.jpg

15190560654_DISPLAY.jpg

15190564662_DISPLAY.jpg

15190560653_DISPLAY.jpg

15190560642_DISPLAY.jpg

More pics and information on my Mocpages and Flickr accounts (signature block)

nice improvement! It looks almost too short or too tall now, but you can probably reduce the height by cutting a little the oil pan underneath...

Nice work :thumbup:. I hope Lego with release a smaller and more accurate piston engine in the future. The current offering is only good in limited applications. Most of the time it's out of scale or just looks out of place. Good thing we have builders like yourself that come up with these detailed alternatives. 

Bravo, @nerdsforpresz :thumbup:! It was worth it to rework it, works better, looks a lot better, is more compact and comes much closer to the real thing. And of course you are right regarding the scale - the real engine is HUGE!

bugatti_veyron-engine.jpg?w=500&h=360

On 2/19/2018 at 12:27 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Very nice update. Works better and looks better. :thumbup:

On 2/19/2018 at 1:17 PM, JonathanM said:

Very nice! Excellent improvement over the original.

On 2/19/2018 at 2:05 PM, Pas_de_nice said:

nice improvement! It looks almost too short or too tall now, but you can probably reduce the height by cutting a little the oil pan underneath...

Thxs All!

13 hours ago, ScaleCarModels said:

Nice work :thumbup:. I hope Lego with release a smaller and more accurate piston engine in the future. The current offering is only good in limited applications.

I very much agree.  I think we are seeing a slight evolution of Technic sets to be bigger and a little more sophisticated (debatable).  However, the elements making up engines are still kinda prehistoric.  Especially in what appears to be the dawn of the supercar era for Technic fans (42056, now 42083 and proposed others) I would really like to see added emphasis on the engine. 

5 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Bravo, @nerdsforpresz :thumbup:! It was worth it to rework it, works better, looks a lot better, is more compact and comes much closer to the real thing. And of course you are right regarding the scale - the real engine is HUGE!

bugatti_veyron-engine.jpg?w=500&h=360

Funny.  I used the exact picture when I researched scaled comparisons to give the build the distinction of being Technic-figure scaled.... We are on the same "Goolge-search" wavelength  :laugh:

3 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Very cool! I love that you spent the time to correct the issues, looks great! 

Thnxs!