Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

[COR WTC] Fort Mesabi

The obviously incompetent commanding officer of Fort Agravia had posed the WTC with a dilemma: could they rely on the Crowns forces to actually protect Mesabi Landing in times of need, or would they have to take matters into their own hands? Since the WTC is not known for pointless debates about important matters, it was quickly decided to build a fortification of their own, while asking Governor Allcock to relieve said incompetent officer of his duties and support their case. While no reply from the Governor had arrived in Mesabi Landing yet, at least the forts construction had been finished. Situated on the other side of the port, Fort Mesabi was no protecting not only the island of Argentia and Mesabi Landing, but also the nearby trade routes and a considerable portion of neighbouring Cascadia.

This came to no little surprise to Major Bradley when he finally arrived in Mesabi Landing just days ago. As to what his orders or intentions were, was unclear for the being - but it would without doubt cause trouble for the WTC...

8dbfZT3.jpg

Facing the settlement is a heavily fortified gate, guarded by the trusted WTC Infantry - they even got shiny new hats! Apart from guarding the settlement, they also observe the sea from the top of a watchtower:

hpdWSX9.jpgGgzIDZP.jpg

On the other side, towards the open Brick Sea, is a battery of massive 48-pounders, manned by the WTC Artillery:

QaKWLsK.jpg

mxkfu4y.jpgpPnXsrI.jpg

In the courtyard, Mordo discussed the latest developments with one of the WTC Operators:

d6dSF7D.jpgkcD6tDA.jpg

"I do not know what took them so long, but the Crown has finally sent one of its many underlings here. Since the fort is done, they have to live with it, but only the gods know what kerfuffle they will make about it. May I once again remind you and all the WTC men and women that we are under close observation for the time being? Act accordingly, and BEHAVE!"

"Yes Mr. Mordo. Everybody has been given strict orders, rum and horse are off the menu. The guys and gals know that things can only return to normal once those redshirts are out of town again - the sooner the better. Disobedience will be handled by Him, which will be enough to keep everybody in line."

"Very well then, make it so."

If it was actually well... only time will tell.

===================================================================================

This build will be licensed as a medium fortification in the settlement of Mesabi Landing.

I had fun building this, even though a lot of things got tried and rebuilt (compare it to the WIP pictures in one of the links above!). I am very happy with the results, and have not even shown some of the "play features" so far. You see, the whole main building comes apart in modular sections:

TJKLn5K.jpg

t4XDzbt.jpg0mp427s.jpg

aE53OJF.jpgf5woeKk.jpg

MWNHtMW.jpgbsg965j.jpg

The lowest level has an armoury and a prisoners cell - currently unoccupied. For better access the stairs are easily removable (it does not always stay in place, you can see this on one picture). Removing the stairs also reveals a door to an underground level with the quarters, kitchen and whatnot - which I might build at a later point in time.

hXtDtmh.jpgItWLOz8.jpg

NApt2Lk.jpgf8E4FTX.jpg

As always, C&C is welcome and appeaciated.

Edited by Drunknok

Lovely fort, Drunknok. I like how it both has the qualities of a moc with lots of details and interesting techniques, as well as being reminiscent of former lego sets.

The only thing I don't really like is the bay window between the guns. Seems rather like an obvious weak point. ;) You might also consider ensuring that the guns can pivot, as they currently seem rather fixed.

All in all good moc and nice story. Keep up the good work!

Nice work with this! - the classic colors work really well, and I'm liking the interiors and modularity of it too!  The palm tree and masonry bricks serve to spice things up a bit as well :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Lovely fort, Drunknok. I like how it both has the qualities of a moc with lots of details and interesting techniques, as well as being reminiscent of former lego sets.

The only thing I don't really like is the bay window between the guns. Seems rather like an obvious weak point. ;) You might also consider ensuring that the guns can pivot, as they currently seem rather fixed.

All in all good moc and nice story. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

The "cannon level" gave me some headaches indeed. What you see is a result of some compromises. I really wanted to include that window section - I imagine it being the location where the forts commander observes the battle. Cannonballs flying, glas shattering... it makes for a better story than "impenetrable wall of AWESOME". As for the cannons: the wheeled versions (like with most official Lego sets) did not look good in my opinion. While they are fixed in the build, I imagine there being some kind of mechanism to turn them to different angles - it is just not seen as things are right now. It is far from perfect, but I did not have the space or parts for a more elaborate solution.

53 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

Nice work with this! - the classic colors work really well, and I'm liking the interiors and modularity of it too!  The palm tree and masonry bricks serve to spice things up a bit as well :thumbup:

Thank you! The palmtree is of almost the same design @Mesabi uses in a lot of his builds, so I like to include it in my WTC builds as often as possible.

Nice classic looking fort! Lots of details both inside and outside, the guns are quite large, anyone who dares to attack your fort shall think twice.:grin:

Excellent build @Drunknok, The build is an excellent fortification. The detailing is fantastic, and really shows the work you put into it. Altogether, I like how it has the features of a real lego set, combined with the quality of an upper class MOC. Keep up the great work!

A great looking fort Drunknok, I love the 'classic' pirate feel of the yellow highlights! The overall shape is nice and the lower 'brick' level fits well with what we have seen previously in Mesabi Landing. While the bay window would be very impracticable for a fortification, it does look quite good although the whole rear wall looks like it could do with a slope or offset - probably between the 'stone' and white wall. A very minor detail though that certainly doesn't detract from a very good looking fort. Great job!

32 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

But I can't stand the name

A rejected love is hard to deal with... have you tried a therapy? :pir-grin:

45 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

But I can't stand the name

What's wrong with the name Mesabi?

:pir-look:

45 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

What's wrong with the name Mesabi?

:pir-look:

Dr. Thaum and Count Mesabi... Facebook would list their relationship as "it is complicated". But he still loves you deep inside! :wub:

Nice one! I like the fact that it also has interior details. I also like the fact that you went the extra mile and there aren't many empty spaces around