Sign in to follow this  
Paknaloid

42054 - two configurations / MODs / MOC [Complete] slurry trailer - Joskin

Hello

Over the past couple of months I have been enjoying building 42054 - what a great little set.  Once I'd finished it, I wet about MODing the appearance somewhat, and have ended up with two different set-ups.  Descriptions and photos below (hopefully the pics aren't too big, but apologies in advance to the mods if I've messed it up yet again...)

Configuration 1 - 8-wheels with stock silage plough & cosmetic modifications
Apart from the obvious addition of four extra wheels, I also modified the bodywork as follows:
- Altered wheel hubs (apologies, I can't remember who did this white/red mod to the Claas wheels originally, think there's videos on Youtube but if that person is a member EB then thanks to you.)
- More rounded fenders/mudguards, both front and back.
- Exhaust with chrome parts and decals.
- Windscreen wiper to deal with any flying 'muck' - see Configuration 2 below...
- Chrome filler cap.
- Additional spotlights at the front.
- Slight change to roof detail including aerial/additional red hazard lights to rear.
- Improved step ladder.
- Additional warning decals at front.

So, nothing very revolutionary or technically interesting, but I enjoyed making the changes and personally I think the mudguards look better than the stock versions.  I did build the crane first but didn't like how bulky it was compared to the tractor, so I ended up with the stock 'B model' (:laugh:) silage plough.  I took it outside for some photos:

320x180.jpg 

320x180.jpg

320x180.jpg

320x180.jpg 

Configuration 2 - 4-wheels with slurry tank trailer & cosmetic modifications
I then removed the plough and the extra wheels, and set about creating my first-ever MOC.  I was inspired, first generally by the amazing work on 42054 of @BrickbyBrickTechnic, and secondly by one of these - single-axle slurry tank trailers:

320x180.jpg 

My tank includes:
- Dual slurry pipes and sprayers, for the sprayin' of that muck.
- Third wheel for stabilisation when disconnected from tractor (can be released by partly pulling out the axle with stop & red bush).
- Custom decals.
- Fake on/off switch for slurry pump.
- Full set of hazard notices and warning lights, plus chains on the hitch.
- Black cover can be easily slid back by removing a couple of securing axles.  For when it's time to blast-clean the old muck, before re-filling with fresh muck.

I absolutely acknowledge that my MOC is only an approximation of the above, rather than a replica (in particular, using the available spare pieces at my disposal, I wasn't able to recreate the cylindrical shape of the tank).  It also doesn't use particularly great building techniques and hasn't got decent functions.  However my aim was to create something for my Claas to tow that looked quite nice, and also to complete my first ever actual proper MOC (one previous failed attempt notwithstanding).  By these criteria, I achieved something of which I'm happy.  I'd love to hear your opinions, but I realise that it isn't up to much, so no worries if you don't have an opinion on any of this, one way or the other....

I also added some headlight effects, again influenced by @BrickbyBrickTechnic's past work on the Claas:

320x180.jpg

320x180.jpg 

320x180.jpg 

320x180.jpg 

320x180.jpg 

320x180.jpg 

320x180.jpg 

320x180.jpg 

320x180.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

Edited by Paknaloid
Added three last photos

I like your additions on the Claas, especially the chrome exhaust stack :thumbup:

Like the slurry tanker aswell but I think it could be (much) bigger for this tractor since it has not 500hp. However not bad for your first try! :wink:

Cheers.

definitely, if I had the parts and the building skill I’d have really wanted to build a tank for the Saddletrac, a bit like this:

G%C3%BCllewagen-Claas-13513398.jpg?width

but maybe in a few years when my skills have improved :blush:

@Sjoemie himself your comment got me thinking - I do still have two extra Claas wheels, and a few general spares.  If I dismantle the stock silage plough, I think I'll have enough to turn the trailer into a double-axled and lengthened tank, a bit more fitting size to be towed by a beast like the Xerion.  I'll address this tonight to assess how do-able it's really going to be - lengthening the chassis and adding an axle should be simple enough, it's just whether I have the right panels and liftarms to extend the tank itself, and how I'm going to get the mudguards to work with 2 wheels on each side instead of 1.  Nevertheless, this is now back to being a WIP project thanks to your constructive criticism, so thank you :thumbup: the life of the set has been extended again :).

15 hours ago, Paknaloid said:

Cheers.

definitely, if I had the parts and the building skill I’d have really wanted to build a tank for the Saddletrac, a bit like this:

but maybe in a few years when my skills have improved :blush:

that would be interesting (and huge)

I love the slurry tank, and would like to see more of the of the implement on the first tractor.

Also, I know the front exhaust pipe was not accurate for the 42054 model year, but it looks so cool and it was a missed opportunity for TLG. I'm glad you added it.

This set screams for added trailers and implements. Great job.

Hmmm, Whoops.  don't know what happened to my original post :sceptic: 

I took @Sjoemie himself's suggestion and ran with it - time to "go big, or go home".  The tank trailer is now a bit more appropriate for the size and power of the Xerion.

I've added:
- Extra axle
- Round tank cover on roof
- Lenthened chassis and tank
- On/Off pump lights
- Side filler tube and cap

This is still a WIP as I'm not at all happy with the mudguards/fenders now, and need to find a better way to build these out.  Also, I think perhaps the axles should be shifted 2 studs further back on the chassis, so more of the front of the tank is suspended over the ground.  I'm gaining confidence with this whole MOC thing.  Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

IMG_8188.jpg

IMG_8190.jpg

IMG_8189.jpg

IMG_8191.jpg

Edited by Paknaloid

36 minutes ago, Paknaloid said:

Test

640x360.jpg

Probably  you have moved or renamed image :wink:

Very nice, but aren't the tyres on the wrong way round?

As a general when looking from the rear;

Powered equipment 'V' pointing up

Non-powered 'V' pointing down

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

I see very nice :thumbup:

Thank you

20 minutes ago, LucyCol said:

Very nice, but aren't the tyres on the wrong way round?

As a general when looking from the rear;

Powered equipment 'V' pointing up

Non-powered 'V' pointing down

And thank you.  I had no idea that was the case, but a quick Google image search shows you to be absolutely right.  I'll correct this as part of my continuing work on the build.

30 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

The tank needs to be more round and much bigger to fit the wheels' scale but otherwise looking excellent so far. Hope you update soon. 

He could use this part at the top to make it look rounder :wink:

Edited by I_Igor

@BrickbyBrickTechnic I agree that it needs to be bigger and rounder.  Bigger I can certainly give a go soon, although I am running pretty low on spares now, and I want to try and avoid colour-vom.

Rounder, again is this is do-able, and many thanks @I_Igor that is a good part suggestion (I've only got two of them now though, both in red).  However I'm not in a position to start BrickLinking the extra parts to really make this happen yet.  I may re-address the issue in a few months, as I have my fingers crossed that I'll be getting 42078 for my birthday, and that obviously has an abundance of panels :)

I'll try and update in the next couple of weeks after I've figured out the mudguards.  I have managed to shift the axles further back on the chassis and slightly altered the third stabiliser wheel, which I think has improved the look slightly.  I'll see what I can do to embiggen it further.

I see your point (it is known from my experience). sometimes you need more time to find necessary parts then to build it :wink:

Completely round is not possible at that scale, hm perhaps there is a slurry wagon with square shape 樂

Just now, I_Igor said:

hm perhaps there is a slurry wagon with square shape

I was hoping so, but I didn't have much luck finding a photo of one, certainly not that large.  I suppose I could convert it into a general purpose farm trailer, but I had my heart set on a muck spreader!

I did see this on Rebrickable, which was another point of influence for my build; they made a better go at a round shape, but it is at a smaller scale, and again many more pieces needed than I have currently (x21 large panels?!)...:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-9879/RB-instructions/liquid-manure-spreader-for-claas-xerion-5000-gullefass

1 minute ago, Paknaloid said:

I was hoping so, but I didn't have much luck finding a photo of one, certainly not that large.  I suppose I could convert it into a general purpose farm trailer, but I had my heart set on a muck spreader!

I saw something similar in shape months ago with JCB fastrac 4160, but I can't remember if it is a slurry tank or not...but I could not find it on Internet...

Yes, but it could be interesting concept to make LEGO model of it :thumbup:

Hi @I_Igor, as it is my first-ever MOC build I wanted to give it it's own thread.

Also, I've begun the process of turning it into one of these:
https://www.joskin.com/en/muck-spreaders/ferti-space-2-horizon

I'm aiming to give it a powered function - rotating muck-flinging blades, powered by the rear PTO of the Xerion. The drive train is in now place and the bottom row of flingers operate ok, however the mechanism needs to be secured, flingers improved, the rear has to be re-shaped and I'm struggling to add a second, top row of flingers.  I'll provide update pictures when I get a chance to flesh out my idea somewhat.