doug72

Mobile Material Handler (MOC) Crawler Under Carriage DONE + Video

My next MOC - undecided yet as what exactly the function of rotating part will be but have a few ideas for something different.

I had intended to have all motors & a servo in the rotating structure but trials using a co-axial drive through the turntable has this proved to be impossible as slewing would affect both drive and steering functions.

Both will now have to be re-located within the undercarriage and can have either two PF cables passing up though the turntable with a stop to prevent 360 deg. slewing or located them both in the undercarriage along witha battery box & a PF Rx if enough room.

The rotating structure will based on the Ultimate 8043 excavator created by Jurgen Krooshoop - but will be adapted for the possible PF functions I require.

40188572862_a946d562d3_z.jpg

26348686198_c12e4c4f72_z.jpg

PS:  one thing for sure the four outriggers will be HOG.

Edited by Doug72
Removed image file text.

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Like it! Better than previously.

Yes I learnt a lot building the last MOC, which got too complex. 

Wow! That is looking really nice. Looking forward to updates, keep them coming.

Andy D

26 minutes ago, Andy D said:

Wow! That is looking really nice. Looking forward to updates, keep them coming.

Andy D

Thanks, just added a link to Sennebogen web site for this machine.

Would  normally post a photo from the site but due potential copywrite issues haven't !!! :cry_sad:

Under carriage now modified with M motor for 4W drive and servo motor for steering. ( I had to rob Boydell Stomper for the servo !! )

Edited by Doug72

4 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks, just added a link to Sennebogen web site for this machine.

Would  normally post a photo from the site but due potential copywrite issues haven't !!! :cry_sad:

Under carriage now modified with M motor for 4W drive and servo motor for steering. ( I had to rob Boydell Stomper for the servo !! )

Wow! That is really cool! More excited to see more now! Keep us posted.

Andy D

4 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Mobile Material handler:
Based on a Sennebogen 817 machine.

Ooh, my favourite machine. And one I plan to make someday too! 

Good luck. I'll be following. :excited:

1 hour ago, Sjoemie himself said:

Looks promising Doug, curious to see how this will end up looking and working

Check out the link to Sennebogen website in early post - which has videos of one in action.

Drive & steering sorted with PF Rx mounted between wheels on one side.
Other Functions:-
1/. Slewing
2/. Main boom raise and lower.
3/. Dipper arm raise & lower
4/. Open & close a four arm clam shell grab, or an interchangable 2 bucket grab.
5/. Raise & lower operators cabin, probably using a linear actuater manually or PF switch.

Rotating upper works can also be mounted on a crawler unit or a rail mounted portal or on a 6 x 6 truck. 

One version has four interchangable tools for various tasks - now thats would be a real be a challange.
https://www.sennebogen.com/en/products/material-handler/sennebogen-830/vario-tool-76.html

Edited by Doug72

6 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Well, that's one way to deter the copyright department at Sennebogen. :laugh: Sounds great, though. One to watch!

The closest Lego colour is Lime Green but only a few parts are made,  so it will be that favourite colour, construction yellow !?

Edited by Doug72

14 minutes ago, ctx1769 said:

Where did you get that lego sizing guide from? 

I got it on a visit to Legoland UK several years ago, it’s very useful.

Markings in the back are ST-0482 & 1 - 01  2008

Edited by Doug72

16 hours ago, Doug72 said:

The closest Lego colour is Lime Green but only a few parts are made,  so it will be that favourite colour, construction yellow !?

Good choice.

Undercarriage completed:-

L motor for drive and Servo for steering placed at each end - this extended chassis by 2L to accomodate them.

Small battery box located on one side between wheels.
 PF Receiver located on the opposite side.

This means no PF cables have to pass up through the turntable anymore which will allow full 360 deg. rotation.

Ourtiggers will remain on manual deployment.

Re Servo centring:-

Minor problem in that return to centre is slightly off due using a 12/20 gear reduction to limit travel and turning angle to approx 40 degs. each way to avoid hitting other parts.
Note: Servo centres OK its the reduction gearing that causes the problem.

Had similar problem with my Boydell Stomper but was able to eliminate it by introducing further 1/1 gears to keep alignment correct.
Update:_
Now fixed - stripped down drive from servo motor to the steering rack and re-positioned it - re-assembled and now centering is OK.

Side view showing battery box.
40209169882_37fdb0e9ed_z.jpg

Side view show underslung PF Receiver which works OK.
40242473331_1b9dd3e084_z.jpg

Underside view
39532056234_c70183d85c_c.jpg

Outrigger in stowed position.
26370026848_76e0677ea1.jpg

Outrigger in working position with all wheels off the ground.
39344622585_be40a8f22b.jpg

Edited by Doug72
removed image file data

Looking really nice, sturdy and compact Doug. The problem with the centering of the servo can be very tricky to solve especially in tight spaces. Caused me quite a few headaches in my first experience with the servo steering in my tractor.

Great WIP photos and update! This MOC continues to impress.

Do you have any video of the functions at this stage? Would be really nice to see!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

4 hours ago, Andy D said:

Great WIP photos and update! This MOC continues to impress.

Do you have any video of the functions at this stage? Would be really nice to see!

Andy D

Thanks - no video yet but I will se what I can do tomorrow need to wait for daylight !
Just tested it and is quite easy to control and smooth running unlike previous MOC !

Only remote functions at the moment are drive and steering plus outriggers by hand.
Have secured the battery box better to stop it falling off !!
Need to order more 8 x 1 plain tiles to cover technic holes for aesthetics.

Working on a simple mechanism for the elevating the operators cabin.

4 hours ago, Sjoemie himself said:

Looking really nice, sturdy and compact Doug. The problem with the centering of the servo can be very tricky to solve especially in tight spaces. Caused me quite a few headaches in my first experience with the servo steering in my tractor.

Steering problem now sorted and tested OK.
Changed the 12/20 to 16/16 gears to transfer down to the axle that has a 12T double bevel gear meshing with an 8L gear rack.
Both L Motor & Servo now help support the frames for the outriggers.  

Edited by Doug72

19 hours ago, Andy D said:

Quick video now made:
Had to slightly modify undercarriage due to wheels touching battery box when on full steering lock.
Camera on a fixed mount hence it goes off camera at times !!!

Next step is to determine the size of the rotating upper machinery section & layout of all the motors required.

Edited by Doug72

@Doug72Thanks! That is very cool. I am really looking forward to more WIP photos and the finished MOC.

Andy D

Turntable:-

Z56 turntable used as better for arranging the slewing gearing - the Z60 T/T is not so easy.

This turntable on its own is not enough to support the rotating structure without very careful balancing andh has lot of friction when slewing due to the weight above it.

39569453584_8030dbdfdb_z.jpg

Therefore I will be using the Efferman designed 13L turntable gear ring and support rollers which take the weight of the Z56 T/T and provides much more stable support for the rotating structure.

I used this on my previous level luffing crane build with great success and fully supports any structure above it.  
A Z56 turntable still used but only to centre everything and provide for slewing.

13L support gear ring.
Attached at eight locations in 4 groups of 2.

26408369288_168b8ff8a9_z.jpg

Effereman Turntable unit.

The 3D white parts have been coloured light grey using a paint pen.

39569454234_7a6cb399a6_z.jpg

Mock up of side panels:

Elevating cabin will be to the left of the taper panel.

38470792010_6a5cbfcf80_z.jpg

As shown the rotating structure is too high above the undercarriage and I need to lower the 13L gear by 1L. 
This will mean finding new mounting points for the 13L gear ring onto the undercarriage top deck. 

Edited by Doug72

I quite like where this moc is going the only thing that jumps out at me is the spacing of your wheels away from the bearing point since they are for transport you can get away with it.