doug72

Mobile Material Handler (MOC) Crawler Under Carriage DONE + Video

On 3/7/2018 at 5:22 AM, Doug72 said:

Tested using the 4 arm claw grab OK with boulders but the clamshell bucket grab was not successful when trying to pick up Lego balls, which made it jam. 

Tried bird seed and same problem - one bucket closes but the other does not spilling the contents, so back to the drawing board on that for now.

Looks like the bottom beam doesn't stay perpendicular to the LA.  How about this as fix?

800x450.jpg

It doesn't eliminate the problem (one half can lead) but it sure limits it to a few mm difference. Also added the technic 1x bricks to stop the clams jamming open.

Edited by Orcman
additional fix found

13 hours ago, Wolf_Zipp said:

Well done, I like it !!

7 hours ago, Paul B said:

Great work. Such a high level of detail.

Many thanks for your comments.
There will be further adaptions for this build:-
Mount onto a crawler under carriage & change main boom to a version using panels instead of open beams.
Getting  close to that looking & working OK - to test before installing.
Improve clam shell bucket grab.

8 hours ago, Orcman said:

Looks like the bottom beam doesn't stay perpendicular to the LA.  How about this as fix?

800x450.jpg

It doesn't eliminate the problem (one half can lead) but it sure limits it to a few mm difference. Also added the technic 1x bricks to stop the clams jamming open.

Thanks for your suggestions.

At the moment the stroke of the linear actuator is only 1.5 to open or close buckets which is too short
The grey 5L horizontal beams connecting the buckets to the L.A ram tilts which causes one bucket to move before the other due to a friction free tan 3L pin used.

A re-design required

39603780995_60b6a7e551.jpg

The problem with GBC balls:
40645083322_09530cd10b_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

4 hours ago, Superkoala said:

If it can help I made this kind of clamshell bucket for an old MOD (here).

The zip file here contains the LDD https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KIwTDoTSbYUCkDWG_1qWawXZpemxyxJ2

Many thanks, I have downloaded the file OK and will use that to build a grab unit for my MOC which aslo based on Sennebogen products.
I like the way you interchange the two grabs, which I will use,  much easier then my method.

Update:-
Now built your design and its works great, had to modify the end of the dipper arm to attach it and also modify the 4 claw grab to be interchangable.

Clam shell bucket fitted:- Linear clutch removed due to the drive slipping.
39794867155_c5cb28d3ee.jpg

Four claw grab fitted:
25818598967_2b439614c0.jpg

Many thanks again for the design & building instructions.

Doug

Edited by Doug72
Images added

On 03/03/2018 at 2:11 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Your cabin is too small and the boom needs some paneling but otherwise, this MOC is excellent! Can't wait for the video.

Built a test rig to see if the main boom could be made using panels.

Taper panels required each end, with taper on underside, to allow for drive axle paths and to let the dipper arm fully retract to hang vertically.

Test successful using a L motor and able to raise / lower the boom with full weight of dipper arm plus the grab.

Dipper arm to improve and will probably still use beams each end with a 3 x 11 panels in the centre.

Drive shafts to dipper arm actuator & grab to sort out on the test rig before installing the finished boom.

Boom raised:
26837058328_6e8ba9735f.jpg

Boom lowered:
38898603090_b7e9748366.jpg

Improved drive to grab through hinge point between main boom & dipper arm:
40666168112_371dd0758c.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Panelled Boom:

After many attempts using panels for the main boom I have failed to replicate the range of movement of the Mk 1 main boom which used beams only.

Drive through the hinge point between main boom & dipper arm works OK but so far unable to get the swing range required for the dipper arm due to limited mounting points on the 5 x 11 panels to get the right angle for the linear actuator to push the dipper arm from the vertical position to fully raised position without fouling the drive to the grab attachment.

Tried a system using worm drive & crank but same lack of success and does unable to fit within the boom panels.

Does anyone have suggestions ?
  If not will stay with Mk 1 boom & dipper arm.

Meanwhile started work on a crawler under carriage.

40785244791_2232888142_z.jpg

40785245811_455ceaa4ec_z.jpg

40075656304_f4e6b8c3f1_z.jpg

26915306988_cb1b95fbce_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Sorry I totally forgot to answer last time (lot of work), but I’m very happy if you have been able to upgrade your MOC with the LDD I provide you :classic:

38 minutes ago, Superkoala said:

Sorry I totally forgot to answer last time (lot of work), but I’m very happy if you have been able to upgrade your MOC with the LDD I provide you :classic:

Thanks yes it works very well. I modified it slightly in how it is connected on the boom by using 2L pins with axle.
To change the attachment I just push the 5L axle though the #1 connector to release it and then twist the other #1 connector enough to release & pull the grab out. New grab fitted and push 5L axle back into place.

40744159932_dac83a7517_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72
Added image

Revised  Main Boom / Dipper Arm hinge gearing:-
Finally achieved the desired swing range for Dipper arm from horizontal to vertical without any gear clash problems.

Achieved by  using 3 x 7 bent beams which enabled the dipper arm to reach the vertical position, when main boom is fully raised.

New dipper arm to build and attach.
Note: M motor only shown for testing the drive to the four claw grab  or clam shell grab.

Once section shown is connected to lower part of main boom drive shafting to dipper arm actuator and the drive to the attachment to devise. 

39929742305_1fa295ebf3_b.jpg

Edited by Doug72

6 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Very nice! The paneled boom looks much better.

Thanks it’s taken quite awhile to get it sorted. Each side of the boom has two 5x11 & two 5 x 11 taper panels so panel boom Is  now a bit longer. Now tested OK on test rig with three motors. Once dipper arm re-built to test again before replacing Mk 1 boom.

I might have to add more counterweights to balance the rotating structure.

Edited by Doug72

15 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Brilliant work Doug! This really is a beast. Do you reckon you've learned anything new from this build?

Thanks for your comments.

Do you reckon you've learned anything new from this build?

Yes be a tidy builder !! I tend to discard unused parts into a heap then slide them into a container before having periodic spells of sorting & putting parts back into their correct storage drawers etc.
As I design and build without instructions its best to build in stages, test, review & modify until satisfied.

The initial idea for this MOC stemmed from a workable but simple out rigger system & suitable size tires.

I also tend to make sub structures to try out placement of parts and gearing etc before incorporating into the build.

In the case of the Mk2 boom I have used a full size test rig rather that try to work directly on the exisitng build and once satisfied install it.
Its much easier to make changes that way.

Also try to anticipate what parts required and order any I don't have. Had to rob previous MOCs to build this.
At the moment I am short of one 3 x 10 yellow panel for new dipper arm so will have to remove one from the body work and subsitute  with three 11L beams in its place.

Once new dipper arm made will post a video of the test rig in action.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

Mark 2 Main Boom & Dipper arm  
Completed using flat panels, tested and performs better than I had hoped.

Dipper arm swing range is now from vertical to 30 degs. above horizontal when main boom fully raised. 

Drive to grab attachments now has a linear clutch to protect U-joints and the mounting of inter changable grabs simplified.

Found best to control dipper movements using a speed controller with PF switch for the main Boom.

Will be making a new video soon.

Dipper arm in lowered position:
39944879085_d2e8384e44_z.jpg

Dipper arm fully raised:
26969273838_f03a218396_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

This is looking really great! :thumbup:

I hope you don't mind but I'll possibly rob some of the ideas you implemented and use them in my demolition excavator, if I ever get to finish it :grin:

44 minutes ago, jotta93 said:

This is looking really great! :thumbup:

I hope you don't mind but I'll possibly rob some of the ideas you implemented and use them in my demolition excavator, if I ever get to finish it :grin:

Jotta - no problem if you want any close shots let me know.
I might have a go at a demolition attachment.

I have just completed the build on the mobile under carriage.

Mark 2 Boom & Dipper Arm successfully replaced the Mk 1 version and looks and functions much improved.
All functions tested without any problems, slewing is very smooth, weight distribution OK and no additional counter weights required.

Controls:
Three PF receivers.
Rx 1: Undercarrige drive and steering using basic controller
Rx 2: Slewing & Main boom using basic controller
Rx3: Dipper arm raise / lower & drive to grab attachment using speed controller.

A new video in next few days.

Next step is to build an alternative tracked under carriage.

This has been my most succesful MOC - at times frustrating & challanging but an enjoyable build.

39032829960_3726e4945f_c.jpg

40800438552_b53fdaf5df_c.jpg

39032829840_9a8494e11b_c.jpg

39032832360_fd854d8d0a_c.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Wow! Incredible! Your machine is great, I a looking forward to your video.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Andy D

On 22/02/2018 at 4:39 PM, Andy D said:

Just when I think you have reached the highest level of complexity... You go one step further.

your raising cabin gives me an idea for a build I have been thinking of, a raising and lowering camera mount, if I ever get t to it ;) ;)

Looking forward to more WIP photos.

Thanks for sharing your progress.

Andy D

Elevating cabin: as friction pins not enough to keep cabin in the raised position I used a small linear actuator but the lift range was too small.
Tried a large l.a. operated by hand, and the lift range was OK,  so now power operated by M motor direct coupled to a linear actuator & controlled by PF switch.

Edited by Doug72

33 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

And you cross the finish line, Doug! Wonderful job, it's been a journey like no other. :thumbup:

Thanks, while forum off line gave me time to sort it out -and avoid the snow !!

Tested with orange peel grab and able to grip, lift  and hold a small aerosol can.

Dipper arm actuator:
A problem arose as the dipper arm is near fully raised. which caused linear actuator ram to sag where the extension push rods connect to the L.A. end,.

Solved by placing two taper guides to keep ram in place without sag.

40211155424_c2a3d96eaa_z.jpg

MOC now completed
:

27050196238_227ed7c352.jpg

Final Video:-
Make sure to watch to the end to see the collision with the camera when I nearly drove it off the table !!!

Edited by Doug72