doug72

Mobile Material Handler (MOC) Crawler Under Carriage DONE + Video

Just when I think you have reached the highest level of complexity... You go one step further.

your raising cabin gives me an idea for a build I have been thinking of, a raising and lowering camera mount, if I ever get t to it ;) ;)

Looking forward to more WIP photos.

Thanks for sharing your progress.

Andy D

Dipper Arm and drive to 4 claw grab.

Progress has been quite slow due to trying to find the best solution to preventing gear clash when dipper arm fully retracted at the hinge point on main boom. 

Involved a lot of trial & error before came up with a workable solution.

Devising the drive shafting to the dipper arm also a slow process with the “dreaded”: 1/2 L causing problems between U-joints.

Dipper arm  still needs extending so that the grab can reach the ground when main boom fully lowered.

All functions tested and working OK plus whole unit slews very smoothly. 

Some of the failed attempts at transmitting drive through the hinge point between the main boom & dipper arm.

25586242487_dc3640ef2c_z.jpg

Successful at last eliminating the gear clash but needs some tidying up.

25586241777_1a32621211_z.jpg

25586239407_e43d865dd7_z.jpg

General views

25586241167_67e805986b_z.jpg

25586240517_6ec812fb9a_z.jpg

25586239907_73397b089b_z.jpg

I will also be building a clam shell bucket attachment to be interchangeable with the 4 claw grab.
For added complexity it could be made to rotate but would involve another drive path so probably will be manual.

Elevating operating cabin, I could use a mini figure to turn a crank to operate it !!!

Edited by Doug72

This is coming along really nice Doug! It's always pleasing to read and learn about your unusual MOCs. Plus it has given me some ideias to use on my demolition excavator.

I'm looking forward to see the finished model! 

1 hour ago, jotta93 said:

This is coming along really nice Doug! It's always pleasing to read and learn about your unusual MOCs. Plus it has given me some ideias to use on my demolition excavator.

I'm looking forward to see the finished model! 

Many thanks for your comments much appreciated.

Awaiting parts on order for yellow panels to complete the bodywork, along with the elevating operators cabin.

Dipper arm to extend by 15L and hope to to devise a simple way of changing various attachments i.e 4 arm claw, 2 bucket clam shell & maybe a demolition hammer.

These versatile machines are also available mounted on crawler tracks, trucks, rails or fixed pedestals.

So I intend to build a crawler under carriage using a pre-assembled subtractor module I already previously built for drive & steering.  

The rotating body with booms etc. can be easily detached from the wheeled undercarriage and re-mounted onto crawlers tracks.
Should be easier as no outriggers be required.

The MOC is very stable when slewing both when on wheels or outriggers with boom & dipper arms fully extended.

Sennebogen has a version with Vario-tools - see link, which includes a demolition hammer.
https://www.sennebogen.com/en/products/material-handler/sennebogen-830/vario-tool-76.html

Hello Doug

I can Quote jotta93, it´s nice what I see from you. I think I have to look for your past projects to learn the mechanics !

1 hour ago, Wolf_Zipp said:

Hello Doug

I can Quote jotta93, it´s nice what I see from you. I think I have to look for your past projects to learn the mechanics !

Thanks - here is a close up of the gearing at the hinge between the Main Boom & Dipper arm that allows dipper arm to be fully retracted.
It might be un-conventional but it works well and the gears all mesh correctly.

The 4 arm claw grab is a copy of the one used in the 42006 set.

25606333587_3ff0a111ce_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

The boom and dipper arm are amazing! Gee, I wish this was an official set so I could purchase and build! It looks like it is a tremendous learning experience.

Thank you so much for sharing so many details of your WIP.

Andy D

22 hours ago, Andy D said:

The boom and dipper arm are amazing! Gee, I wish this was an official set so I could purchase and build! It looks like it is a tremendous learning experience.

Thank you so much for sharing so many details of your WIP.

Andy D

Dipper arm now improved and strengthened.
Its a large MOC and no idea of how many parts used so far, a smaller verison might make a good set.

6 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

This reminds me of 42006 - one of my first sets getting back into Technic. Thanks for the nostalgia trip, Doug - and a cool build to boot! :sweet:

Thanks for your comments - I too built the 42006.

Dipper arm improved:

38684363460_ceb0fb308c_z.jpg

Clam shell bucket grab:

I am attempting to build a rotating clam shell grab but so far result is too large & doesn’t open far enough.

Grab will be power operated to open & close the grab with manual rotation.

Small grab:- not suitable and not possible to remotely open & close.

40494454841_e62a9f141a_z.jpg

Large grab:- uses two LEGO Shovel 5 x 7 x 4 1/2 with Hole/cross (18943) & small linear actuator.

Mounted below a Z28 turntable with manual rotation.

40494458001_f6a0f3742b_z.jpg

Too large & does not open far enough.

Looking for ideas to build a smaller more compact version.

Had a Eureka moment  and solution now found for a compact Clamshell Grab:-

Clamshell 
Grab in closed position:-

39789557884_1559e66746.jpg

Clamshell Grab in open position:-

39603780995_60b6a7e551.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Clamshell bucket grab:-

Proved harder than envisaged to mount this on the dipper arm and make it interchangeable with a four claw grab.

38704584680_c15297899f_c.jpg

To remove Clamshell attachments the two Green Pins are removed, extension axle removed and fittings for four arm claw grab installed.

A linear clutch inserted into the drive to these attachments to protect the U-joints, relying on the mini actuator internal clutch is not enough to prevent the attachment from twisting when they reach full travel open or shut. 

Edited by Doug72

Awesome so far. I'm a little concerned about how low the arm can reach. If the attachment twists, try thick 5l beams or another friction-pin + 12T gear on the 28T turntable.

On 28/02/2018 at 10:38 AM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Awesome so far. I'm a little concerned about how low the arm can reach. If the attachment twists, try thick 5l beams or another friction-pin + 12T gear on the 28T turntable.

Thanks for your comments and concerns.

Both attachments can reach the ground OK see images showing boom & dipper at various maximum  & minimum positions.

It’s a compromise as the Lego large linear actuator does not have enough travel.

The real machine it has long reach hydraulic cylinders and main boom is able to be lowered to almost  parallel with the ground for transport.

I am happy with the range of movement for the main boom & dipper arm, but when I later mount it on a crawler base I will see if I can improve it.
The MOC is now getting quite heavy but it still balances and slews OK.

40491946412_298bfdfa9a.jpg

40491946172_ac2c51a4fc.jpg

38724468980_6e17e39ddd.jpg

25664029937_0df892fd4d.jpg

Elevating Cabin:-

Started the hardest part of the build the aesthetics - something I am not good at !!

At the moment elevation is by hand with friction pins in the linkage to keep it at desired position, a hand operated geared  system will later be fitted later.

Next step is to complete the body work once parts arrived - delayed by the “Beast from the East” snow storm we are having at the moment.

40491945862_c3115a3df9.jpg

Twisting of attachments:-

When the attachment small actuator reaches its end stops it twists the grab up untill the LA internal clutch works - see photo.

Using a linear clutch has lessened this but not entirely eliminated it and prevents u-joints from being broken. 

38724468450_5ca0b6ba43.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Parts finally received after postman struggled though deep snow !!

Build almost completed, just need to improve the operators cabin and fit access ladders & guard rails etc.
PF receivers and battery box installed and body work completed.
Battery switch can be accessed by opening the left side curve panel.

All functions tested OK both for the under carriage and rotating structure and booms.

Weight of the model is 2.2 kgs.

Action video to make in next few days.

General views:-

25721344077_7b9e2b1b25_c.jpg

39881279754_9235e40369_c.jpg

40592054471_ffd3bd085d_c.jpg

Elevating Cabin:-
Decided to just have it raised & lowered by hand, friction pins are used at pivot points to keep in any desired position.

25721344077_7b9e2b1b25_c.jpg

39697144445_9b031d23c9_c.jpg

Edited by Doug72
image file text removed

Nice, this is looking good! I agree with @BrickbyBrickTechnic that the cab is a bit small; slightly larger, and perhaps in a different colour such as dark grey (to match the undercarriage) might help. I'm also not much of a fan of the stack of panels on the opposite side for the sloping cover, as the holes look a bit odd; one normal panel at an angle might look better, if you have any left! Otherwise, you've done an excellent job, I'm looking forward to the video!

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Your cabin is too small and the boom needs some paneling but otherwise, this MOC is excellent! Can't wait for the video.

Thanks for your comments - agree cabin not good
Width available for cabin is very tight unless extend it sideways. see photo

I had thought of extending a platform out for a bigger cabin with access ladder at rear.

39882242404_9326c48665_z.jpg

P

re panels on the boom - I now have some 3 x 11 yellow panels  and a few taper wings but will add even more weight ! I'll give a try

Edited by Doug72

23 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

Nice, this is looking good! I agree with @BrickbyBrickTechnic that the cab is a bit small; slightly larger, and perhaps in a different colour such as dark grey (to match the undercarriage) might help. I'm also not much of a fan of the stack of panels on the opposite side for the sloping cover, as the holes look a bit odd; one normal panel at an angle might look better, if you have any left! Otherwise, you've done an excellent job, I'm looking forward to the video!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Re cabin, see previous post.

Re taper panels - idea was to represent air intakes but not really happy with the way it looked.
The taper panels match the boom shape at top and bottom.

I have had to rob my Bucket Wheel Trencher for the yellow panels - they seem to be very scarce at the moment from both Lego and on-line.

Doug

Close to the end now! Great to see it's Technic fig compatible. Wish I still had my old figs, but they went in a clear-out a few years ago. Like the use of the DBG steering wheel too!

Following comments ansd suggestions improvements made to cabin and the taper section has been replaced by an air cooler intake for the hydraulics.

Cabin rebuilt and has added more weight requiring some balance weights at the rear of the body to counteract the front dipping despite use of the 13L turntable system.
Slewing is still OK. Don’t think this MOC would be feasible just using a Z60 turntable.

Cabin in lowered position:
25742298427_8c394c48cb_z.jpg

Cabin in raised position:
38803090000_e101eabee8_z.jpg

Main boom side with panels:

Due to increased overhanging weight of the main boom with panels  and lack of 5 x 11 yellow panels I have decided against this.
It would also  require a complete re-build & re-locatiion of drive shafts & U-joints to the two actuators.

38803089750_57d5acfbf8_z.jpg

Re Lego Technic Figures:
I have one which moves from MOC 2 MOC !!!
Also have a Meccano figure which is about same size and these I believe are still available.

Just a few more cosmetic bits to add before making a video which may take me a while to complete.

Edited by Doug72

Thanks  @ColletArrow & @Aventador2004

After an intensive search I found another yellow 5 x 11 panel and checked to see if feasible to to build a boom with a 5 x 5 cross section using panels only - so far partial success but quite a struggle to route the two drives to the head & dipper arm actuator due to less pin holes in the right places !
The head of the boom also proving to be a problem to get desired swing range in & out for the dipper arm and drive through the pivot.

39738181025_2f95a2837c.jpg

So a completely panelled boom not worth continuing with.

Doug.

Edited by Doug72
Image added

MOC complete:
see video for demonstration of functions etc.

Very pleased with how this went and how smooth all the functions are - the secret being the use of a stable turnatble system.

First section shows the undercarriage drive and steering, second section the upper rotating unit in action picking up Lego boulders.
Tested using the 4 arm claw grab OK with boulders but the clamshell bucket grab was not successful when trying to pick up Lego balls, which made it jam. 

Tried bird seed and same problem - one bucket closes but the other does not spilling the contents, so back to the drawing board on that for now.

I plan to mount this on a crawler undercarriage later and I am still working on a panelled boom version if can sort out the section between Main Boom & Dipper arm.

Edited by Doug72

What an awesome build. I simply love this. It looks great, it works great, and the WIP topic was very entertaining and informative (it's amazing to see your builds evolve over time).

Once again, great job and congrats!

29 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

What an awesome build. I simply love this. It looks great, it works great, and the WIP topic was very entertaining and informative (it's amazing to see your builds evolve over time).

Once again, great job and congrats!

Many thanks for comments, it’s been a very enjoyable build solving the various problems. Still room for improvement, so it’s an on going process.

However I need to find a better driver !,