Masked Mini

Secret door - sliding furniture

First time posting one of my creations, apologies if this is not the right forum.

Credit where it's due:
Furniture was heavily inspired by brickbuilt.org furniture tutorials and google.
The sliding mechanism was adapted from someone's assault gunship MOC I had saved.
It's been reworked extensively but without the original builder I never would have gotten this done.

https://imgur.com/a/Oz6st

bKmxvGf.jpg

First we need to build a couple piece of furniture, 2x6x7 and 2x8x6. The only real important dimension here is the 4x8 plate the right piece is covering.

wTKwygO.jpg

FKUwYxH.jpg

R8K203v.jpg

GNXa0KL.jpg

ygSppk6.jpg

The nitty gritty of the technique. The bookcase runs on a pair of axles feeding through a pair of technic bricks in the back wall. They will protrude into the next room when the bookcase is pushed back. By pushing them the bookcase can be returned to it's starting place.

UfJuIWE.jpg

Fairly self explanatory, bit of SNOT work to attach the 6x8 plate to the back of the wardrobe.

MXpCSzv.jpg

The 6x8 plate attaches to the two brackets in the channels.

HD4Yqup.jpg

These brackets are half the magic trick. 1x4 tile, 1x4 plate, bracket and 1x1 plates.

N9618aB.jpg

This is the difficult bit. Using 1x4 L-shaped tiles and lots of jumper plates we build a pair of channels. The 1x2 plate with clip hinge helps to keep the door on the rails, without it gets caught and refuses to slide. The 1x5 brick acts as my slide stop.

xB9Ap1I.jpg

A different angle. Everything is built onto a 2x8 plate , jumpers give a half stud offset and provide half the channel. More jumpers return us to standard studs to set up the second channel, and yet more jumpers to repeat the previous channel. Followed by more jumpers to bring us back to standard studs so we can attach to the wall. Until it's connected to the wall the whole assembly is pretty fragile.

My apologies about the picture quality. I'm not much of a photographer to begin with and my cellphone camera wasn't helping much.

Edited by Masked Mini

Thank you for the encouragement!
I'll need to finish out the room with some more furniture, probably a minifig scale bed with play feature and a desk.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:31 PM, Masked Mini said:

Thank you for the encouragement!
I'll need to finish out the room with some more furniture, probably a minifig scale bed with play feature and a desk.

You can publish the final result if you want, I always enjoy to see that kind of things. You are so welcome! :)