Blk69

Additional cars for 60051 thoughts?

So I was watching our passenger train run around (60051) and thought it would look better with another car to two.  From what I recall from the build, believe could make two additional cars from another full set (don't think you could convert all three cars, only can make one car from the two engines).  Plus get another remote/receiver/motor/battery box, track and ground crossing.  Thinking this stuff is at least half the cost of the set.  

Don' think I can beat this by trying to Bricklink just the cars. What do you think?

Ya, if you take the $150 price tag, subtract stay $75 or everything less the blocks themselves, that around $35 per car (if you are able to get two cars from the brick) plus some extra bricks.  Don't see how BrickLink could beat this price.  Am I missing something or am I on the correct path?

Your set looks good.  how many motors did you need to pull all those cars?

@Blk69 I've been thinking about the same thing. Since we are getting a new passenger train this year 60051 will be retired soon. I was going to get another once it goes on sale then Bricklink the remaining parts for the 3rd coach. As for motors, my thought was to keep it as stock looking as possible so run PF extension wires through the train to the 2nd motor in the other end.

1 hour ago, ALCO said:

@Blk69 I've been thinking about the same thing. Since we are getting a new passenger train this year 60051 will be retired soon. I was going to get another once it goes on sale then Bricklink the remaining parts for the 3rd coach. As for motors, my thought was to keep it as stock looking as possible so run PF extension wires through the train to the 2nd motor in the other end.

What...were getting a new passenger train this year?  Do we have any details yet?  

37 minutes ago, Blk69 said:

What...were getting a new passenger train this year?  Do we have any details yet?  

Check out the thread for 2018 trains.

You are correct, you can easily build 2 additional passenger cars if you get an extra set of 60051.  I did this exact thing.  I actually bought a second set of 60051 about 1 year ago when Amazon had them on sale for about 48% off.  The price was roughly $88, so I bought this to get the motors to run my new Winter Village train instead of buying the motors separately (total cost would have been $55).  

Anyhow, you can take the pieces that would go to the two 'engine' cars and combine them into one more passenger car.

I hate to say it but if I had a 60051, then I'd sell it and save up to buy multiples of the new Passanger train that will come with the new PF2 bits.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:27 PM, 3797 said:

I hate to say it but if I had a 60051, then I'd sell it and save up to buy multiples of the new Passanger train that will come with the new PF2 bits.

Yes, but the new passenger train (from pictures posted...yellow) doesn't looks as good to me.  60051 should be having a big price drop with the new model coming out soon.