2 hours ago, paupadros said:

I dislike Bricky_Brick's models. They're unimaginative, badly managed in terms of colour (a subtle way of saying "a mess!"), too repetitive and overall uninteresting for me. Maybe you guys love his unique (certainly unique, though) style, but it just says nothing to me personally.

Well then, how do you feel about some of the more recent work of italovergnat, another designer of multiple LDD rendered modulars for LEGO Ideas? :classic:

5016028-orangerie_finale_face_et_ville.l

5018376-Halle_theatre2994_et_ville_avant

3 hours ago, paupadros said:

This made me laugh :iamded_lol: I wonder what the builder considers good if that is bad!

I posted my modulars on Ideas before and must say I find outstandingly fake the supportive messages some people give there. In all honesty, I dislike Bricky_Brick's models. They're unimaginative, badly managed in terms of colour (a subtle way of saying "a mess!"), too repetitive and overall uninteresting for me. Maybe you guys love his unique (certainly unique, though) style, but it just says nothing to me personally.

What's that quote you posted referring to? Made me curious, but I don't see the context :sceptic:

As for Bricky_Bricks models, I guess it all burns down to personal taste.

The Modular Film Studio is a rather pointless idea (with studios being basically big, utilitarian empty boxes of buildings...), but the other two are perfectly fine in my book. Not outstanding, but very solid and, in case of that Hat Shop, better than most of the modular buildings that get posted on Ideas. He goes a bit overboard with the greebling at times (sometimes to hilarious effects - the detail on top of the blue portion of Oscar's Wheels immediately reminded me of someone going like this: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ), but there's some nice ideas in there. The way the Hat Shop is actually two buildings is unique, haven't seen something like that done before.

Don't see any more repetition in the build than usual, and while he uses more colors than I would, they all go together.

22 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Don't worry @Bricked1980, I really don't want to abandon this topic! This topic encourages me to search and find more great MOCs, all the MOCs posted here inspired and inspires me (and I hope some others) so much that I finally started to plan my first MOC in a serious way, even started making a techniques and part usages list and have almost completeled the whole model in my mind! What I can say about it if nothing changes is that it's (obviously) going to be a building probably a bit bigger than the normal minifig-scale but they'll still likely fit, will have a creative concept, and will have some very tricky techniques which makes it impossible to design it digitally so I'm going to need directly real bricks. I'll hopefully start designing it in august. :classic:

Looking forward to see that!

Be sure to let us know how the building experience goes for you. I often had something mapped out in my mind, and when I built it, I didn't like it at all :laugh:.

Not using digital building tools isn't a bad thing. I used them in the past, and will use them again, but it takes time, and lots of checking if a part exists in the color you need etc. Right now, I'm building my first full MOC without any digital planning, and the experience is great. While it's sometimes frustrating when you miss that one piece in the color you need, it also forces you to get more creative. And I'm pretty sure that LDD most likely wouldn't allow some of the building techniques I've used. It's also quicker - I started right after The Mage's Mansion, and today i finished the exterior! Now all I need is the interior for the top three floors, some more finishing touches, and I'm done :excited:

To tease a bit: Two buildings that started separately, but at some point were combined, four floors, two separate businesses on the ground floor, and all that on an unusual footprint (i.e. not 32x32 or 16x32...).

Edited by RogerSmith

4 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

What's that quote you posted referring to? Made me curious, but I don't see the context :sceptic:

That is the Flickr description of this model. Pretty funny.

As for Bricky_Bricks models, I guess it all burns down to personal taste.

The Modular Film Studio is a rather pointless idea (with studios being basically big, utilitarian empty boxes of buildings...), but the other two are perfectly fine in my book. Not outstanding, but very solid and, in case of that Hat Shop, better than most of the modular buildings that get posted on Ideas. He goes a bit overboard with the greebling at times (sometimes to hilarious effects - the detail on top of the blue portion of Oscar's Wheels immediately reminded me of someone going like this: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ), but there's some nice ideas in there. The way the Hat Shop is actually two buildings is unique, haven't seen something like that done before.

Don't see any more repetition in the build than usual, and while he uses more colors than I would, they all go together.

Exactly, it all comes down to personal taste. While the part usages are certainly great, like what you mentioned "¯\_(ツ)_/¯". To me, they kind of make me go crazy (where am I supposed to look!? :wacko:). Exactly, the Hat Store has a very unique building layout, but the "isle" building to say it somehow could have been another colour for the composition to pop more. I also dislike the signage. Not only I think they're a bit of an eyesore, but they detract from the building. Saying "look at me, I'm exactly this", I prefer the architecture to speak a little bit on its own.

italovergant's models are a little bit like Bricky_Bricks's, but more on the monumental side rather than focusing on details. Both builders have novel ideas that I don't particularly share :def_shrug:. I'm curious @Digger of Bricks, what do you think about these two builders?

Not using digital building tools isn't a bad thing. I used them in the past, and will use them again, but it takes time, and lots of checking if a part exists in the color you need etc. Right now, I'm building my first full MOC without any digital planning, and the experience is great. While it's sometimes frustrating when you miss that one piece in the color you need, it also forces you to get more creative. And I'm pretty sure that LDD most likely wouldn't allow some of the building techniques I've used. It's also quicker - I started right after The Mage's Mansion, and today i finished the exterior! Now all I need is the interior for the top three floors, some more finishing touches, and I'm done :excited:

To tease a bit: Two buildings that started separately, but at some point were combined, four floors, two separate businesses on the ground floor, and all that on an unusual footprint (i.e. not 32x32 or 16x32...).

Looking forward to it! A 48x32? :wink:

21 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

The Modular Film Studio is a rather pointless idea (with studios being basically big, utilitarian empty boxes of buildings...), but the other two are perfectly fine in my book. 

True, but I do like both the design of the brick-built signage and the simplistic but clever usage of Black Technic beams evoking the look of film backdroping the signage.

16 hours ago, paupadros said:

italovergant's models are a little bit like Bricky_Bricks's, but more on the monumental side rather than focusing on details. Both builders have novel ideas that I don't particularly share :def_shrug:. I'm curious @Digger of Bricks, what do you think about these two builders?

Well, I guess it's that I do like their attention to exterior over interior detailing, as the first superficial impressions of many creations are what draw my eye to them first and foremost. Between the two though, I probably like italovergnat's work over Bricky_Brick's for his greater emphasis on exterior ornamentation, not to mention that his color choices and pairing are in somewhat better taste than Bricky_Brick's.

21 hours ago, paupadros said:

Looking forward to it! A 48x32? :wink:

Nope, wouldn't have enough bricks on hand for that. Its width is inbetween 16 and 32, but not 24 :laugh:

Yes, finally I'm able to start highlighting MOCs again (and to post more)! As it would take a crazy time to make fifteen member picks in only one day, I'll divide it a little bit but I promise I'll cover all I need to because you guys deserve it! :sweet: 

Please keep up the interesting discussion by the way! :classic:

On 6/24/2018 at 12:53 PM, paupadros said:

I posted my modulars on Ideas before and must say I find outstandingly fake the supportive messages some people give there. In all honesty, I dislike Bricky_Brick's models. They're unimaginative, badly managed in terms of colour (a subtle way of saying "a mess!"), too repetitive and overall uninteresting for me. Maybe you guys love his unique (certainly unique, though) style, but it just says nothing to me personally.

I respect and somehow agree a bit too. His three first modulars were brilliant and were brilliantly detailed but his models never felt over cramped to me. 

Spoiler

5086516-o_1c49n5k73qit1fi7lfhql2a68o-ZIoXIIrmOqJPSg-thumbnail-full.jpg

5211649-o_1c67o5m071di81ml71232127bqb7e-JPa58rlnOfQeAg-thumbnail-full.jpg

5247308-o_1c76ar55mo1q1ijd161e1ggnr7bbh-0-QTR54wdqbVzw-thumbnail-full.jpg

Even if his fourth modular is not really my cup of tea, some details like the wonderful brick-built lettering and the film makes it look nice to me. It's more focused on the interior than the exterior in my opinion.

Spoiler

5317154-o_1c9h2rp7e119u1cg7174h1v9p1lt3e-GZE9ybKieNynxg-thumbnail-full.jpg

5317164-2-1JkycUaqP5lMIg-thumbnail-full.jpg

5317194-8-18InCSh9vgGzJQ-thumbnail-full.jpg

To be honest, I don't like so much the direction he has taken with his three latest modulars:

Spoiler

5383216-o_1cbkssbmi172cbn31iqq1c3mkrce-jNK8dxH6IKl3cw-thumbnail-full.jpg

5415715-o_1ccrkq1is170sf73i6d1qhu1drle-tajkoexjcOS1aw-thumbnail-full.jpg

5527741-o_1cg9v2okp1qet18l6dsaca13j067-KNFvZ6BuHvC7lA-thumbnail-full.jpg

These all have some nice things but I'm not a big fan of the color schemes of his fifth and sixth modulars and his latest is both over cramped, misses one floor and badly managed in terms of color as you say. However, I love his brick-built on these three modulars, especially on the Oscar's Wheels! 

Bricky_Brick's modulars are still probably some of the best on Ideas though, considering the MOC quality level over there... :sceptic:

On 6/24/2018 at 3:20 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well then, how do you feel about some of the more recent work of italovergnat, another designer of multiple LDD rendered modulars for LEGO Ideas? :classic:

I can't respond to this better than yourself!

Well, I guess it's that I do like their attention to exterior over interior detailing, as the first superficial impressions of many creations are what draw my eye to them first and foremost. Between the two though, I probably like italovergnat's work over Bricky_Brick's for his greater emphasis on exterior ornamentation, not to mention that his color choices and pairing are in somewhat better taste than Bricky_Brick's.

And I think this is somewhat normal as italovergnat mentioned somewhere that he was an architect if I'm not mistaken.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:29 PM, RogerSmith said:

today i finished the exterior! Now all I need is the interior for the top three floors, some more finishing touches, and I'm done :excited:

Can't wait to see it! :moar:

On 6/23/2018 at 11:58 PM, Bricked1980 said:

This sounds intriguing. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:29 PM, RogerSmith said:

Looking forward to see that!

Be sure to let us know how the building experience goes for you. I often had something mapped out in my mind, and when I built it, I didn't like it at all :laugh:.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to the building experience, which, man, not going to be that easy! I can say it's probably going to have a lot more tricky techniques than what you could think...  :wink:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Staff Picks of 21/06/18:

~Hut on the Sea by #1 Nomad

42695533101_a3f28df6ca_c.jpgHut on the Sea by #1 Nomad, on Flickr

~Empire Diner NYC by sponki25 

34729481974_5514c4c908_c.jpgEmpire Diner NYC by sponki25, on Flickr

~Alchemy by @Faron 

25960969066_82643a6308_c.jpgAlchemy by Joseph Z., on Flickr

Congrats to all these MOCers!

Staff Pics of 22/06/18:

~Norwegian Shack by Mattias

15312451123_a18be74b44_c.jpgNorwegian Shack by Mattias, on Flickr

~The Biker by Luca Di Lazzaro 

27831140897_0778708235_c.jpgFinally here is my new little moc "the biker" born from my love for vintage motorcycles. I imagined a Club for all passing motorcyclists by Luca Di Lazzaro, on Flickr

~Westwood Inn by @MassEditor 

31047654011_44e5ba7e5b_c.jpgWestwood Inn by Patrick Massey, on Flickr

Congrats to all these MOCers and see you tomorrow!

4 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

His three first modulars were brilliant and were brilliantly detailed but his models never felt over cramped to me. 

His third modular (The History Museum) has to be my favorite one of his so far! :classic:

These all have some nice things but I'm not a big fan of the color schemes of his fifth and sixth modulars and his latest is both over cramped, misses one floor and badly managed in terms of color as you say. However, I love his brick-built on these three modulars, especially on the Oscar's Wheels! 

His latest one didn't bug me that much upon first seeing it, but I suppose the lack of a third floor is rather odd, and those starfish crowning the top of the building are somewhat tacky.

Having said that though, yes, his brick-built signage is always a win every time so far! :thumbup: :sweet:

Alchemy by @Faron 

That's a pretty amazing roof! All those Dark Red bows are utilized quite cleverly! :thumbup:

Ohhh, yet another medieval beauty with some lovely Dark Red! :wub:

16 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Thanks guys! Looking forward to the building experience, which, man, not going to be that easy! I can say it's probably going to have a lot more tricky techniques than what you could think...  :wink:

I'm guessing it might be Art Nouveau inspired? :wink:

16 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

I love the ground details all around the base of this one. The foliage, rocks etc and trees have been very nicely done. 

Sorry for all this sudden inactivity. Some important and unexpected projects emerged, and unfortunately I need to stop making member picks for some days. Wish I had something more useful to add. However, this topic is definitely not abandoned! Would be great some people post their favorite MOCs during my inactivity! :classic:

On 6/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, Bricked1980 said:

I'm guessing it might be Art Nouveau inspired? :wink:

Kind of... :wink:

1 minute ago, LegoModularFan said:

Would be great some people post their favorite MOCs during my inactivity! :classic:

I might see if I get chance to dig out some to post tomorrow. I've seen a few on Flickr over the past few days that I was quite impressed by.

3 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Kind of... :wink:

Think you mentioned a while ago that you were planning a joint project with @fillishave is that still the case?

5 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Would be great some people post their favorite MOCs during my inactivity! :classic:

I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for some noteworthy creations, both on my Flickr feed and LEGO Ideas in particular, while checking various blogs on the side too! :wink:

Today, I'd like to highlight the work of of your Jim Garrett over on MOCpages, who's mostly an enthusiast of the architecture of Detroit, Michigan, with many of of his creations built during the mid to late 2000's. You can also find him over on Flickr too (under the username DecoJim), though most pictures of his Lego creations in particular are over on MOCpages primarily.

MOCpages - The Guardian Building 

Spoiler

1416362352m_DISPLAY.jpg

MOCpages - David Stott Building 

Spoiler

davidstott31s.jpg_DISPLAY.jpgdavidstott35s.jpg_DISPLAY.jpg

MOCpages - Fisher Building (Version 2) 

Spoiler
Detroit's Fisher Building built of Lego bricks

MOCpages - Penobscot Building (1928) 

Spoiler

1188830387_DISPLAY.jpg

MOCpages - Art Deco Skyscraper 

Spoiler

artdeco01.jpg_DISPLAY.jpg

Hey guys, I'm back! :sweet: Thanks for keeping this topic alive! Will try to cover up all the missing member picks but it certainly is going to take time... 

Staff Member Picks of 23/06/18:

~The Mystery Shack by @soccerkid6 

26460656401_7bf4d83eb3_c.jpgThe Mystery Shack by -soccerkid6, on Flickr

~Nobita House by Chungpo Cheng

33793799420_dec5b91d21_c.jpgUntitled by Chungpo Cheng, on Flickr

~Tom Sawyer Whitewashing the Fence by @Dzoni90

25441579143_a69400a45d_c.jpgTom Sawyer Whitewashing the Fence by Nikola Đurić, on Flickr

Staff Member Picks of 24/06/18:

~The School of Business in Breshaun by @Kolonialbeamter  

31632029861_c320fcc136_c.jpgThe RNTC School of Business in Breshaun by Jens Fischer, on Flickr

~Small Oleander House by @Gideon 

24399070890_2e316a5172_c.jpgOleander house by Jonas Wide ('Gideon'), on Flickr

~The Dark Knight by @TNT 

34519541751_ce3f1b29d4_c.jpg18379377_120332000643913088_1352529523_oX by danet mihai, on Flickr

Staff Member Picks of 25/06/18:

~Samurai House by - 2x4 -

6069283660_f1d133a8a9_z.jpgSamuraihouse01 by - 2x4 -, on Flickr

~Mountain Town by Revan New

39682475815_08d085991f_c.jpgMountain town by Revan New, on Flickr

~Point Dume Residence by @cesbrick

21393031415_c151288bf5_c.jpgPoint Dume Residence by César Soares, on Flickr

~Mountain Town by Revan New

That's a rather interesting but natural looking technique for the slowly sloping street in this display. :thumbup: :classic:

Staff Member Picks of 26/06/18:

~Carnevale di Venezia by Christophe

20013472820_9df76d609c_c.jpgCarnevale di Venezia by Christophe, on Flickr

19580523233_a2950335db_c.jpgCarnevale di Venezia by Christophe, on Flickr

20175252966_42bb11e27f_c.jpgCarnevale di Venezia by Christophe, on Flickr

17550978712_4cf5dd63f5_c.jpgVenice by Christophe, on Flickr

Congrats to this MOCer and see you tomorrow!

13 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Carnevale di Venezia by Christophe

Damn, now that's one heck of a color bomb! *huh* One of the little details I like the foaming of the water at the shorelines and around the watercraft; plus, the incorporation of Dark Turquoise for the water works nicely too. As for the buildings, there's still a lot of NPU I'm pouring over... :thumbup: :sweet:

18 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Staff Member Picks of 26/06/18:

~Carnevale di Venezia by Christophe

20013472820_9df76d609c_c.jpgCarnevale di Venezia by Christophe, on Flickr

I feel it's only fair for me to comment on this build. AMAZING. This puts my ASIT to direct shame. There's so much to be learnt from here. I really like the red roofs and the builder's daring choices for windowing on the orange building. I'm honestly surprised orange and teal work so great together :tongue:. What else, what else, the railings using the Erlenmeyer flasks is brilliant and I really like how the linings along the sides and below the roofs are simple but very effective. Plus, Vader proposing to someone is pretty hilarious :laugh:. And thanks @LegoModularFan, I had a picture on my Pinterest of a villa from the Provence which I had no clue from who it was. Now finally I know! Here it is: 

Provence house