Spoiler
Imperial Hotel

~Hats and Clocks by @cimddwc

Spoiler
Hats & Clocks: Front

~Drug Store by Andrea_Como

Spoiler
Drug Store 01

Actually can’t believe how Andrea_Como is undiscovered on Flickr, he made incredible MOC’s, and his MOC’s are in very different/unique style from other MOC’cers! Definitely worth to check out!

Anyway, congrats to all these MOC’cers and see you tomorrow!

Edited by LegoModularFan

Another great selection. Think Hats and Clocks is my favourite.

Just wondered. Have you designed any MOC modular buildings yourself @LegoModularFan? If so it would be great to see some pictures of your own designs. :sweet:

59 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Another great selection.

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Just wondered. Have you designed any MOC modular buildings yourself @LegoModularFan? If so it would be great to see some pictures of your own designs. :sweet:

Unfortunately I haven’t designed any modular yet... But I will!

Edited by LegoModularFan

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Unfortunately I haven’t designed any modular yet... But I will!

That's why you started that topic, I guess. If you keep the enthusiasm of both topics in your modulars, you'll succeed, regardless of concept, colours or anything, in fact. Usually modulars come about seeing things in real life or in movies and wanting to make them, have you got any idea yet? Aside from it being Art-Nouveau, of course! If you have any doubts while making it, just write it up, we'll all kindly answer.

On little tip, one thing that most the time goes unnoticed, but is VITAL in a model are sizes. It's funny, because out of all my modulars, they're the only thing that I placed at minute one and never ever change. Of course, even numbers work the best (for walling and flooring of upper floors). Another thing I'd say right around the beginning is place many corners, little corridors, romantic places and hideaways. Not only they look brilliant when finished, but help keeping you cheered up while imagining what sorts of things you could place there when there's yet nothing. Oh, and 32x32 modulars are the most fun.

Looking forward to seeing your models, when they come together!

Edited by paupadros

How do you guys start off when deciding to build a new modular? Plans? Inspiration? Building techniques? Colour schemes? The creations on here are truely terrific! *huh*

1 minute ago, Venefic said:

How do you guys start off when deciding to build a new modular? Plans? Inspiration? Building techniques? Colour schemes? The creations on here are truely terrific! *huh*

Here in Europe we're bombarded daily with amazing architecture, so even without internet you could build anything amazing. Many others have said their word on @LegoModularFan's other topic Modular and Non-Modular Building MOCs - Knowledge and Experience Sharing. I've been building modulars for about two years, but it was nevertheless interesting and informative.

For me, personally, it's an idea, concept or purpose that I want the building to serve. I mean, an overall feeing I want when others react to it (myself included!). Needless to say, my inspiration comes from real architecture -like every other modular builder's-, so have a good look around at architecture that excites you. May that be, Gothic palaces, concrete brutalist buildings or beach shacks! Don't try to copy a building, it's bound to look oddly different.  I draw sketches. Sparsely think about shapes and colour schemes, then for LDD (LDD is horrifying if you really want to build your modular, but for making things easily it's perfect). I love adding indents and smaller hidden sections - flat façades are soooooooo boring to build and to behold! :grin:

Try stuff, copy other designs if you wish. Copying is great learning! What in a picture may look obvious, once in LDD you start wondering... How did he/she do that!? Think outside the box. What is something Lego would never sell? Sometimes I start making tenths and tenths of rooflines (must say they're my favourite part of making a modular!) until one stands out.

Being good is not enough. Everthing you design is yours, and exclusively yours. No-one else knows about it. Only you know its odd intricacies. Many modulars are crap (mostly due to bad colourings and boring shaping), some are good - those you look and enjoy, but have not much deep thought behind them. I tell you, unpassionate subject is so easy to detect! :laugh:. But every couple months, one or two modulars shop up that are BRILLIANT. They're charismatic, well thought out, nicely coloured, have intricate façades. Overall, they have that "official" look that hovers over them.

To sum up, build something that is dear to you, put love in every detail (the best details are always the ones nobody sees and only you know about! :classic:), take a look at other buildings and turn the picture in your mind into something your eyes can see.

6 hours ago, paupadros said:

That's why you started that topic, I guess.

Exactly! This topic is for inspiration and highlighting great MOC’s and 

5 hours ago, paupadros said:

is for learning to design modulars! (Thanks for mentioning my topic BTW)

Usually modulars come about seeing things in real life or in movies and wanting to make them, have you got any idea yet?

I have a lot of ideas! I’ll start sketching soon!

Aside from it being Art-Nouveau, of course!

Although I love Art Nouveau, it is too difficult for a first MOC and especially with LDD... It will be in another architecture. 

If you have any doubts while making it, just write it up, we'll all kindly answer.

Many thanks for your help and support!

Staff Picks of 16/02/18:

~Modular Tearoom by @Giacinto Consiglio

Spoiler
20180216_163804

~Library by @MaximB

Spoiler
14_1

~A Summer In Tuscany by @paupadros

Spoiler
A Summer In Tuscany

Congrats to all these MOCers and see you tomorrow!

P.S. The staff :laugh: didn’t chose @paupadros because he wrote a lot in this thread but because his work is very impressive :wink:

Edited by LegoModularFan

I saw your A Summer in Tuscany @paupadros which looks really fantastic by the way! Do you ever get the chance to build the set physically? You say LDD isn't very handy for building modulars, so what type of CAD do you use? 

19 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Venefic said:

I saw your A Summer in Tuscany @paupadros which looks really fantastic by the way! Do you ever get the chance to build the set physically? You say LDD isn't very handy for building modulars, so what type of CAD do you use? 

No, I don't often build any of my MOCs, they're weird odd stuff I do in LDD. When I say LDD isn't handy I mean that it doesn't at all say if some pieces are available in certain colours. For that purpose, Stud.io is much better. But I prefer LDD for its ease and enjoyment I get when designing. For rendering with Blender, I use Mecabricks, though I find its way of working strange.

You can easily convert from LDD to all the other CAD softwares, so it's more fun and easy to use and more versatile than others. For specific purposes (mostly building in real life) Stud.io is preferrable.

Staff Picks of 17/02/18:

~The Little Cafe by @Lindon

Spoiler
Cafe

~Tribeca Art Gallery Building by anthoatana

Spoiler
Tribeca Art Gallery Building Project - atana studio

~Trossingen Station by @Asper

Spoiler
Trossingen Station 1

I bet @Digger of Bricks will love a detail (NPU) on the façade of the Art Gallery, I let him find which one :grin:

Congrats to all these MOCers and see you tomorrow!

Edited by LegoModularFan

3 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I bet @Digger of Bricks will love a detail (NPU) on the façade of the Art Gallery, I let him find which one :grin:

Oh, wow, that there's just great! :head_back:

4 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Ah, that's both nifty and beautiful at the same time! Never seen it before myself. :wub:

This was a successful project that I really wish the staff at Ideas approved for production:

Victorian London Christmas by jeffach1

Spoiler

1975141-o_19p655d18e6tlp2176l18sugkf7-th

1975168-o_19p659og0makrlhagh1ado194us-th

1975144-o_19p659avaflr57lfst2e1o0og-thum

But hey, maybe in the far future, Lego will revamp the Winter Village line and give it a Dickensian-like setting, taking a cue from this project.

30 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Oooh, the roof on this one looks great with all those Olive Green cheese slopes! :thumbup:

21 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

This was a successful project that I really wish the staff at Ideas approved for production:

Yes. I think it was a bit too big, the builder indicated it too. I wish they’d selected at least the best building, the corner one IMO.

21 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Oooh, the roof on this one looks great with all those Olive Green cheese slopes! :thumbup:

Glad you liked it! A building with a similar roof is coming this evening :sweet:

Staff Picks of 19/02/18:

~French Cafe by @CarsonBrick

Spoiler
French Cafe

~Uil Cafe by Brandon wyc 

Spoiler
LEGO Modular MOC - UiL Cafe "Mingle with the night"

~Hearthstone Bakery by Jme Wheeler 

Spoiler
HSB Full Logo

Our staff didn’t have time to have lunch today, that’s why they selected these MOCs  :laugh: Anyway, congrats to all these MOCers and see you tomorrow!

On 19/02/2018 at 10:47 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a humdinger of a Steampunk architectural marvel of Lego construction, built by @castor-troy:oh:

Oh yes, discovered that yesterday! That’s quite impressive!

Edited by LegoModularFan

2 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Hearthstone Bakery by Jme Wheeler

Oooh, I remember that one. It was also an Ideas project that didn't quite make it to the top, running out of time at about 6700+ supporters. I mean, that Earth Green roof... :wub:

LEGO Ideas - Hearthstone Bakery

7 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Uil Cafe by Brandon wyc 

A modern modular eh? That's rather cool looking, kinda now wondering how Lego would pull off their own if they ever wanted to head that direction architecturally. 

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Oooh, I remember that one. It was also an Ideas project that didn't quite make it to the top, running out of time at about 6700+ supporters. I mean, that Earth Green roof... :wub:

Yes, saw this one on Ideas before... so bad it didn’t have enough supporters :cry_sad:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

A modern modular eh? That's rather cool looking, kinda now wondering how Lego would pull off their own if they ever wanted to head that direction architecturally. 

I generally don’t like the modern buildings (just my taste) but this one looks so realistic, I love the atmosphere so much :wub: There are some other great modern MOCs and they may be selected in the near future :wink: But I hope Lego will not move to the modern architecture now, there’re many older important architectures for which they still haven’t make any modular. 

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

I generally don’t like the modern buildings (just my taste) but this one looks so realistic, I love the atmosphere so much :wub: There are some other great modern MOCs and they may be selected in the near future :wink: But I hope Lego will not move to the modern architecture now, there’re many older important architectures for which they still haven’t make any modular. 

The interior details on the Uil cafe are incredible. I really like this and the way it's been lit in the photos makes it very atmospheric.

These "forced perspective" modulars by L.G. Orlando are a pretty cool concept. :smug:

Spoiler
Lego City: Downtown MetroThe Corner of 5th and Main

4 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

I generally don’t like the modern buildings (just my taste) but this one looks so realistic, I love the atmosphere so much :wub:

Same here too for the most part, but of course, I do particularly dig the Art Deco Streamlined Moderne style of the 1930's and 40's. The cafe in particular that you highlighted sort of more veers toward contemporary architecture; but, like @Bricked1980 had said, the interior and lighting really make it for me. 

On 12/02/2018 at 12:26 AM, LegoModularFan said:

8. Watchmaker’s House with a crazy façade by @Pakita!

Instructions

Spoiler
Watchmaker's House

On 16/02/2018 at 11:52 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Instructions

Spoiler
20180216_163804

On 18/02/2018 at 11:21 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Instructions

Spoiler
Elephant Building

On 20/02/2018 at 2:20 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

These "forced perspective" modulars by L.G. Orlando are a pretty cool concept. :smug:

Instructions here or here

Spoiler
Lego City: Downtown Metro

Edited by LegoModularFan

I don’t know how to thank you @Digger of Bricks! You made me discover an amazing MOCer! I’ve seen and loved one of his builds a while ago (I didn’t know it was from him) and I was searching for it for one month! No need to say which one was it, because it will be of course selected as a staff pick :classic: