Staff picks of 02/03/18:

~Hong Kong Old-Styled Buildings by @niteangel

Spoiler

Hong Kong Old-Styled Buildings (Tang Lou)

~Amsterdam Canal Houses by @Palixa And The Bricks

Spoiler

LEGO Modular Buildings: Amsterdam Canal Houses

~Post Office and Cafe by @Teddy

Spoiler

Main view Cafe Post

Congrats to all these MOCers and see you tomorrow!

Edited by LegoModularFan

On 02/03/2018 at 11:10 AM, Bricked1980 said:

The first thing I noticed when I looked at this one is that it uses the same snotted tile technique to create the brick wall pattern as seen on Downtown Diner. I actually think it looks more effective on this building than it does on DD though and this pre-dates DD by 2 years as well.

Completely agreed.

On 02/03/2018 at 11:10 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I wonder if the Lego designers do sometimes take ideas and inspiration from looking at fan built MOCs online? It wouldn't surprise me if they do.

Very interesting question. I wonder too! You definitely need to write this to the Modulars Rumours and Discussion topic, I prefer sharing my opinion there than here and can imagine that we could learn interesting things. Let’s make the Town Forum active and alive again!

9 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

You definitely need to write this to the Modulars Rumours and Discussion topic, I prefer sharing my opinion there than here and can imagine that we could learn interesting things. Let’s make the Town Forum active and alive again!

Good idea. I've just posted a comment in the modulars discussion forum. It will be interesting to see what people think about this. :classic:

Have you ever seen this Wayne Manor before @LegoModularFan

The Batcave/Wayne Manor by Dave Kaleta

Spoiler

12775028541_DISPLAY.jpg

1277503521m_DISPLAY.jpg

On 3/3/2018 at 6:37 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Ohhh, that's a novel modular! I love the uniquely constructed exterior with the curvature of all those windows! :thumbup: :sweet:

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

@Digger of Bricks, you're definitely going to love the roofs of the Aachen and the Hotel Corner

Indeed, especially that Hotel Corner! *huh*

On 04/03/2018 at 1:37 AM, LegoModularFan said:

~Beloved Belle by @Kristel

Reveal hidden contents

Beloved Belle

Instructions

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Have you ever seen this Wayne Manor before @LegoModularFan

The Batcave/Wayne Manor by Dave Kaleta

Reveal hidden contents

12775028541_DISPLAY.jpg

1277503521m_DISPLAY.jpg

No! That thing looks enormous *huh* BTW, I saw your topic “What are your favorite Licensed MOCs?”, that topic is awesome, I’ll start to search and discover Licenced modulars :classic: 

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Indeed, especially that Hotel Corner! *huh*

Then you’re lucky! There are instructions of it! 

@Gunman, your other MOCs on sale look very unique too (and they look especially typical Gunman style :laugh:), it would be great that you share them here on EB :classic: Thanks a lot for your consideration!

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

BTW, I saw your topic “What are your favorite Licensed MOCs?”, that topic is awesome, I’ll start to search and discover Licenced modulars :classic: 

Alright, looking forward to seeing you over there! :sweet:

15 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Staff picks of 04/03/18:

~11th Modular by ericlego321

Reveal hidden contents

DSC_0431

I love this one! The black section looks particularly impressive, beautiful shaping in such limited space. The 45-degree tiles on the flowerboxes are very much my motto :laugh:

4 hours ago, paupadros said:

I love this one! The black section looks particularly impressive, beautiful shaping in such limited space. The 45-degree tiles on the flowerboxes are very much my motto :laugh:

I generally don’t like at all modern buildings but that one is one of the best modulars I’ve ever seen! I love how he squeezed three buildings, it looks really great! The techniques he used are simply incredible and very effective! I still try to understand the technique used for the wall BTW... 

There are some great modern buildings I’m the staff is highlighting... It would be very nice to see a modular by you in a similar style!

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Alright, looking forward to seeing you over there! :sweet:

And me finding, discovering and posting!

Edited by LegoModularFan

Staff picks of 05/03/18:

~10211 Alternate by @Inyongbricks

Spoiler

10211alt02

~Galaxy Diner and Empire Theater by @sonicstarlight

Spoiler

Galaxy Diner and Empire Theater

~Green Rock House by Sarah Beyer

Spoiler

Green Rock House MOC exterior V

Congrats to all these MOCers!

On 3/5/2018 at 11:23 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Have you ever seen this Russian Instagram user's work before @LegoModularFan? Someone on a topic of mine awhile ago cited their work, which is not only atmospherically beautiful, but pretty darn cute! 

Instagram - Brick Explorer (Below is only a very small sampling. :wink:)

Reveal hidden contents

Oh, both his photos and his MOCs are truly inspiring! 

Edited by LegoModularFan

51 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

~10211 Alternate by Inyong Lee

This guy is a genius. I must say I'm very keen on the idea of designing mocs that are rebuilds of official sets.

I'm thinking of combining the parts from my creator 3in1 corner deli, toy and grocery shop and townhouse and seeing if I can come up with a decent 16 wide modular build. Dunno if there would be enough parts available from these 3 small sets and this would be my first MOC attempt so I am not setting my hopes too high. :blush:

On 3/6/2018 at 1:03 AM, Bricked1980 said:

This guy is a genius.

Sure! If you don’t like the official build (although I like the exterior of the GE because it’s different), remember that you can always make an alternative build! And what is incredible is that there is even an interior! And it’s packed with much more details than then the GE! There’s also a backside but... no important, the façade is so detailed, I don’t mind the backside :classic:

I must say I'm very keen on the idea of designing mocs that are rebuilds of official sets.

That’s a nice idea for the ones who don’t have enough bricks to make a proper MOC but want to build with real bricks or challenge themselves. I was thinking about this too but I thought it would be too difficult to remove the plates and the tiles without damaging them...

I'm thinking of combining the parts from my creator 3in1 corner deli, toy and grocery shop and townhouse and seeing if I can come up with a decent 16 wide modular build. Dunno if there would be enough parts available from these 3 small sets and this would be my first MOC attempt so I am not setting my hopes too high. :blush:

Great! I think the bricks would be enough when I think that @Inyongbricks and @alanboar HK created 16-wide Alternate buildings from only the Bike Shop and Café! Look forward to seeing it :classic:

Spoiler

LEGO Alternative 31026 - House Church

31026ALT-1

BTW, I was thinking if it would be of interest to you to become a Lego photographer as you like both photo editing and Legos as Brick Explorer :wink:

Edited by LegoModularFan

15 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

That’s a nice idea for the ones who don’t have enough bricks to make a proper MOC but want to build with real bricks or challenge themselves. I was thinking about this too but I thought it would be too difficult to remove the plates and the tiles without damaging them...

I just thought this would be a good way of practicing and starting out with MOC building as it would mean I could use the bricks I've already got in my collection without having to invest in loads of new parts. Not sure if I will do this or not, but I will add it my list of Lego projects I've got planned. :sweet:

15 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

BTW, I was thinking if it would be of interest to you to become a Lego photographer as you like both photo editing and Legos as Brick Explorer :wink:

Thanks, I do enjoy photography and photo editing. I've been looking at Brick Explorer's Instagram, posted by @Digger of Bricks yesterday and wow, his work is stunning!

Edited by Bricked1980

On 5/3/2018 at 8:19 PM, LegoModularFan said:

I’m the staff 

:laugh: You're the best!

20 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

~10211 Alternate by Inyong Lee

Reveal hidden contents

10211alt02

Jesus! Had not even realised it was a rebuild of GE! That FB MOD is bloody brilliant as well. Might prefer this to the real one...

On 5/3/2018 at 8:19 PM, LegoModularFan said:

It would be very nice to see a modular by you in a similar style!

Hmmm... Have you read my mind or something? :tongue:. Copying is not my style, but hey, I told you through private messages I was making something a little more modern but definitely not this (though might be fun trying)

My first posting as of cool modulars (dunno, might have already been posted, but not sure)

Amsterdam Hotel by Barry Crossan

and a fun little thing I found the other day:

22 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

10211 Alternate by Inyong Lee

I have to confess, I'm a sucker for any modular (irregardless of its architectural style) that predominantly incorporates Earth Green into its construction, and hence this one is my favorite of the three. :blush:

9 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks, I do enjoy photography and photo editing. I've been looking at Brick Explorer's Instagram, posted by @Digger of Bricks yesterday and wow, his work is stunning!

Please do tell me if you may find any AFOL who only shares his work on no other platform other than Instagram, as that was something I inquired about in a topic of mine a little while ago where Brick Explorer's work was first cited to me. It's not that easy to find MOCs there, as most Lego tagged posts there are primarily minifigure photography. 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

9 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

but I will add it my list of Lego projects I've got planned. :sweet:

That’s great!

1 hour ago, paupadros said:

Might prefer this to the real one...

I think me too :wink:

(dunno, might have already been posted, but not sure)

Trying to write/writing every posted MOCs to the first post, it will be much easier for everyone :sweet:

Barry Crossan

= Canal Houses Expert! 

33 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Please do tell me if you may find any AFOL who only shares his work on no other platform other than Instagram, as that was something I inquired about in a topic of mine a little while ago where Brick Explorer's work was first cited to me. It's not that easy to find MOCs there, as most Lego tagged posts there are primarily minifigure photography. 

Great topic idea, I’ll search and post there :classic: 

10 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

I really love that Barnes and Noble building. It took me a few minutes to remember where I've seen this one before and then I remembered... This design is actually produced as a retail set by Lepin. :cry_sad: Google it and you'll see.

Not sure if they stole this from the designer or whether the designer actually gave them permission to use it.

19 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I really love that Barnes and Noble building. It took me a few minutes to remember where I've seen this one before and then I remembered... This design is actually produced as a retail set by *****. :cry_sad: Google it and you'll see.

Not sure if they stole this from the designer or whether the designer actually gave them permission to use it.

I know that’s so sad... @wooootles of course didn’t give them the permission and he’s an Adult Fan of Lego, not Adult Fan of “the fake :angry: Chinese company that shouldn’t be named here”... 

This modular has some bad memories but this isn’t a reason for me to not continuing liking it. 

Edited by LegoModularFan

Just now, LegoModularFan said:

This modular has some bad memories but this isn’t a reason for me to not continuing liking it. 

Yes exactly. It is a beautiful and very professional looking set. I wont dirty this thread again by mentioning the name of those Chinese rip off merchants, but if he didn't give permission for them to use it then that must be really heart breaking and I do feel sorry for him.

I wonder how many AFOL's have been put off publishing their models and instructions online out of fear that they could get ripped off by these companies. Who knows how many beautiful models we've been deprived of seeing because people don't want to risk this happening to them.

16 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Man, that's a different one! The skylighted roof and observatory give it an almost Steampunk feel. :thumbup:

Olive Green cheese sloped roof? What can I say? :wub:

Coffee Shop Owner's House by morimorilego

Hmm, is someone suppose to drop either a ladder or rope from the front door down to that boat dock/pier there?