Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-FB] The HMS Beagle

Captain's log, February 7th, 618 AE

HMS Ironsides, moored in King's Harbour

Today, I took the new brig-of-war, recently commissioned as the HMS Beagle, on her maiden voyage. She proved to be a sturdy, stable, and well-handling little brig, although a bit slow in stays, but I should think restowing her ballast will fix that.

26208230108_fc31cfd002_c.jpg

While King's Harbour has plenty of able seamen to man her, we are remiss of junior officers, which meant I had to take her out myself. In a way, it was a pleasure getting back to commanding a small vessel, feeling the water rushing by the hull. However, the situation is untenable, and I shall need someone to take command. Perhaps young Lavendwood would be an option? ( @Flavius Gratian) He has done good work with the gun boats and will benefit from experience in commanding a larger vessel if he is to earn his promotion to commander. I shall consider this.

39371175754_8d869c2967_c.jpg

Something must be done about our lack of junior officers if the Royal Terra Novan Navy is to remain relevant in the Brick Seas. For now, I shall be working up the crew myself. They have already proven their skill in gunnery and seamanship, but it will take time getting them to work effectively together as a machine of war, and I can only hope a new commanding officer will not put them out of order.

Signed

Captain Jonathan Cooke

26208228958_9338b338ff_c.jpg

The HMS Beagle is a 10 gun brig-of-war built for the Royal Nova Terran Navy. She carries eight 4 pounders, four on each side, and two 6 pounder chase guns at the bow. As a general purpose warship she isn't the fastest, or nimblest thing in the Brick Seas, but served by a brisk crew, she will be a valuable resource for any colonial governor.

She will be licensed as a class 3 warship.

C&C is, as always, welcome.

That's a nice little ship! As always the rigging is excellent, though I wonder if it isn't a little small for two masts? Maybe it's just my tendensy towards size deflation:shrug_oh_well:. I'm still impressed that you manage to connect all the masts and sprints just using ropes.

I would probably have liked it better without prefabs, as the proporions between the upper and lower deck is a bit off now. Otherwise, I like the grey-green colour combination!

Regarding Lavendwood I hope to launch my own class 3 naval vessel before the next MRCA, so then he would get that as his command. I'm trying to follow your lead in terms of rigging, would you recommend tying the sails to the sprints before tying the sprints to mast, or the opposite?

I also plan to make a small reaction build on the defence of King's Harbour to give him more credentials.

Superb brig, Bregir. Nice tumblehome, I like your masts and rigging. But I'm not sure what's the dark thingy on the bow?

Very nice work, Bregir, as others have said, the sails and rigging look great, and, although I do agree with the Captain that it sits a little high out of the water, the rest is quite well built too :thumbup:  Also, the bit of a base for a ship like this is often overlooked, but it really does add a lot!