Great Ball Pit

Buy 42053 Volvo EW160E or wait for 42080 Forest Harvester?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get some pneumatics finally, and was wondering if you think I should pick up the older 42053 Volvo EW160E or should I wait for the 42080 Forest Harvester?

There is a place nearby that has the older Volvo set for 30% off but I also saw you guys mention something about "new valves" in the 42080 Forest Harvester.  I'm in no rush to build a new set now either so it would probably just sit in the box for a bit anyways.  I only ask because the sale price and availability of the Volvo might go away soon.

Maybe you have some insight on the Volvo set that I haven't thought about.

Well, in both sets you would get 2 of those large 11L cylinders (it looks like it in the 42080 from the pictures I see). I'm guessing that 42080 will be more expensive because it has power functions, so if price is an issue, go with the 42053.

As for the new valves on the 42080, it's hard for me to see how they look based on the prelims. There also seems to be this mysterious cylindrical yellow element on the saw that may or may not be pneumatic. 

So my final opinion on this is: unless the new valves have something that facilitates putting them in your MOC (e.g. an axle hole through it that allows it to be motorized easily; this is pure speculation), stick to the 42053. I'm pretty confident the 42080 will be more expensive, and I think the 42053 also comes with a small pump in case you want to motorize it.

I would get Volvo for several reasons - it is soon to retire, price after mentioned sale is probably very nice, same amount of pneumatics like 42080. New valve is nice addition, but not really for manual model

Lego have already retired 42053 - its only available on eBay etc at inflated price.

EW160E.jpeg

Edited by Doug72

If you're purely after the pneumatics, you'll probably need more than either set offers longer term. They both have the same number of cylinders (2 large, 1 small, 1 small pump) but the 42053 also has the large manual pump which 42080 doesn't (it's PF only). 42053 also has 3 valves, while 42080 has only two. 42053 also has a nice B-model, and good modding potential if you're interested in the excavator itself (e.g. see the nice ultimate version by @Ivan_M on the forum here).

So, if you can pick up 42053 for cheap (it'll start getting expensive to find new now that it is retired), I'd go for it no question. You can always pick up 42080 later on once it's been out a while (i.e. on sale) should you decide you want more pneumatics :)

Edited by JonathanM

I'de probably go for the volvo as you will get the manual pump as well as a motor pump. And also because when you get some pneumatics you'll likely want to get more! by getting the volvo now you can also get the harvester a year or so from now.

Volvo! My brother has one, can't stop messing with it. Plus the fact it is retiring. 3 cylinders, 2 pumps, awesome playability, great b model, and ~1200 parts make for a great set!

The Volvo is amazing imo, I picked mine up new at 65 eur a couple months ago and after adding the PF kit to it my 10yo cousin has been loving it, much better than the Arocs he thinks  :laugh:

I'll be following this thread closely, because I am also thinking of getting (back) into Pneumatics a bit. A few years ago I sold all mine, I didn't use it. But with the V2 and the new long cylinders (and the anticipated valves), their use may have extended a bit. I see lots of people are already advising to go for 42053, but I am still torn. There's also 42043, which I know is considered one of the best sets of the last 5 years, and seems very AFOL-minded model, but I'm not willing to spend €180 on 2700 parts of which I already own 2600, even if by itself the set is a great deal. Similar argument for 42053 - besides the pneumatics it has zero interesting pieces for me, and the theme (of A and B model) doesn't interest me at all I'm afraid, even though it's really not expensive for what you get. Also, 42053 is missing the long thin cylinder that 42043 had and I want that as well. But 42043 has no manual pump, which I want too.

But I do have an idea that could use pneumatic, so I rather not wait for H2. Hmm. There's also the option of placing an order on Bricklink for the relevant parts.

What do you think between those four options?

• Get 42043
  • Get 42053
  • Wait for 42080
  • Order on Bricklink

Sorry if this sounds like hijacking the thread, so please also keep considering the original question by @Great Ball Pit :)

9 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'm in same position like you - I have as many liftarms, connectors and pins as I need and I do not keep anything assembled. Therefor buying (any) set is out of the question. Price for 2x11 cylinder on BL is quite low, I have bought 6 of them for less than 3€ each, thin 1x11 are more expensive but when you are patient you can get it for 4-5€. "Old" cylinders are still very usefull, I have used them in all my recent mocs

Edited by Ivan_M

I would say buy both the 42043 and 42053. The Arocs is a great set all-in-all and a must have if you ask me and the Volvo is also very, very nice, with lots of pneumatic goodness. 

The 42053 is a superb set very worth building on its own (my favorite set around ~1k parts). If you can still find it and on discount, you should buy it for itself. If all you want is the pneumatics, you might as well wait or BL the components which are sure to drop even further with new pneumatic sets being released.

11 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

2053 is missing the long thin cylinder that 42043 had and I want that as well. But 42043 has no manual pump, which I want too.

But I do have an idea that could use pneumatic, so I rather not wait for H2. Hmm. There's also the option of placing an order on Bricklink for the relevant parts.

If you don't want to buy the 42043 and you don't like the 42053, BL the stuff hands down. The narrow cylinder is expensive, but everything else is at decent prices.

5 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Get the Volvo now @30% off and the Harvester later. 

Where ?

Get Volvo, get it while you can, and if you can get the good price, it is no-brainer. you have like 1,5-2years to get the forest harvester (and wait for discount).