Sign in to follow this  
SavaTheAggie

TBRR with full BrickTracks loops

Here's a video I put together of Texas Brick Railroad's display at the World's Greatest Hobby On Tour Houston 2018.  This was our first layout with a full BrickTracks double loop - r120 and r104.

Note that in several clips I'm running my Dreyfuss steam engine at full throttle with no issues of derailing (nor threatening to derail).

--Tony

Whoa! Full steam ahead! *oh2*

Dang, it's such a joy to see both your Daylight and Dreyfuss locomotives plowing away like that. Incredibly epic!

By the way, who made that one streamlined "princess" locomotive and train running the opposite direction of your Dreyfuss and Daylight locomotives?

Wow. Now for some reason I want to see a picture/video of a circle/oval of LEGO R40, ME Models R56, R72, and R88, and BrickTracks R104 and R120, all inside of one another with trains zipping all around.

1 hour ago, BurkusCircus said:

Wow. Now for some reason I want to see a picture/video of a circle/oval of LEGO R40, ME Models R56, R72, and R88, and BrickTracks R104 and R120, all inside of one another with trains zipping all around.

@pirzyk You have this on one of your corners, right?

17 hours ago, coaster said:

@pirzyk You have this on one of your corners, right?

Yes, and i hear @Stash2Sixx is working on one as well.

Great layout! Also, how do you get your engines to run so quickly pulling all that weight? I know the cars are light, but with that many, I can't figure out how they are so fast...

14 hours ago, storms26 said:

Great layout! Also, how do you get your engines to run so quickly pulling all that weight? I know the cars are light, but with that many, I can't figure out how they are so fast...

I think the video is playing back at faster than real time (look at some of the kids in the background) but still impressive that they are running at top speed. The Hudsons are also impressive (gray NYC and black/dark red CP I believe). Scariest bit is the fact that there appears to be no stanchions or sneeze guards to keep fingers away from the layout (I know there are "don't touch" signs, but who reads these days)

Photos from the event:

Full Gallery

The Town

26290847498_f6cf6061dc.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Ed's brand new Princess Jubilee, a larger locomotive to replace the smaller one on the ever growing, award winning Princess Train.

39452808354_ee9432d01d.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Ed's brand new Canadian National Jubilee

- I'm not sure which was built first, this or the Princess version.  Either way they're more or less identical.

26290898208_f14ea617c1.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Ed's Tank Rack and my Life Saver's tanker.

28383654009_f0d5c52eff.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Because we could.

40163953081_f496f1e609.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Some more town.

28383705449_68faa1ce89.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Tim's ladder yard with 3D Printed switches.

26290892198_57f92ea189.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Poor Daisy

28383708989_0ff0e9f0d3.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Superman cheats

25292142207_413f73325b.jpgTBRR @ WGH Houston 2018 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

--Tony

18 hours ago, storms26 said:

As I said earlier, they truly are going that fast.  The Dreyfuss and the Daylight are powered by two standard LEGO motors.  The Dreyfuss had brand new Duracell Alkaline batteries, so it was getting the full 9vs, instead of the ~7.2v you would get with rechargeables.  The trains are able to go so fast because of that, plus the large radius curves, and years of design experience.  None of the cars running had the aftermarket bearings.

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I think the video is playing back at faster than real time (look at some of the kids in the background) but still impressive that they are running at top speed. The Hudsons are also impressive (gray NYC and black/dark red CP I believe). Scariest bit is the fact that there appears to be no stanchions or sneeze guards to keep fingers away from the layout (I know there are "don't touch" signs, but who reads these days)

There was... a rope.  We own stanchions but they live up in Austin and down in Houston all we had was a rope that we strung between chairs at the corners of the layout.  Sadly the rope only went around three of the four sides, so we had to station people to watch the layout on that one side.  Fortunately there were no major accidents, a few trees down and one small fire truck, but no train derailments. 

--Tony