mcphatty

[MOC] Mini Kessel Run Millennium Falcon

I’ve been busy with this little guy since I saw the leaked Solo poster, the one with the four characters and the tiny, pixelated hint of the new Falcon to one side. At first didn’t like the look of the new Falcon in that leaked Lego set image but on the poster it reminded me of the ship from Flight of The Navigator, and who doesn’t love that! But I guess if you’re going to mess with an icon you’ve got to do a really good job,  we’ll find out soon enough how popular it is but I think this could look pretty sleek in the film. However they explain away the change of shape I took it as something bolted on the front (or just there originally and eventually removed) that is more or less a spoiler with a really nice GPS.

I've always wanted to make a mini Falcon using the cockpit from the micro fighter and here it is. The gps-spoiler just slots in, so apart from the colours and dish it’s a quick job to change it between its original and Kessel Run look. I built the top and bottom separately, studs-out so I could add those Tie cockpit turrets (big thanks to RickJockey whose idea I’ve shamelessly pinched!) but I think it adds to the rounded the shape overall and turned out to be a neat and solid way to build anyway. I was really pleased with finding the 90’s octagonal slope part which I originally just bought in dark grey because it was really cheap, but last week I discovered that there’s only one person on Bricklink selling it in light grey and they won’t take orders for less than £100, so annoyingly the dark part stands out a bit. If anyone’s got any suggestions for different ways of building the tunnel I’d be grateful to hear them, otherwise it will just be great to hear what you think of the MOC!

KBRAlzZ.jpg

wbPPnQc.jpg

wKuMrZm.jpg

0a61Wnu.jpg

TuqtjIP.jpg

zE7nz7N.jpg

BHVN1Vc.jpg

mB2u0rl.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/u79xD

Looks great to me!  Nice build on the Falcon overall, and I like the idea of this module, and the way you incorporated it into the overall shape.  Also, really NPU with that octagonal angled pipe piece!  Probably the best use of that I've seen.  :wink:

This is really nice. I really like the blue hints you put in there. If they stick with some of the legends material on the falcons mandibles your idea of a module that clips in like that is perfect. After watching the trailer today and seeing the interior of the falcon. I think we are in for a treat when the movie comes out. The leaked box art has the new falcon as white I'm wondering how white it will be on screen.

Great build and great use of parts. The spanner piece is an excellent way to represent the cockpit tunnel. Sure, it would be better in LBG but this it's not an eye sore in dark grey. Maybe add a dark grey piece or two around the spanner so it blends in more.

Are the exhaust ports on the Solo falcon grey? As those pieces come in black and may stand out more like they do on the later falcons.

Love this build and will be reverse engineering my own version. Do I go white or grey though?

I like how the front pops out as a module. I figure that area is "streamlining" of some sort, like a shell placed over the original hull to make the ship look sleaker so having it come off makes perfect sense to me.

Very nice indeed. 

I can see LEGO putting out a small polybag version of the MF which will obviously be smaller and not look as good as this!

25 minutes ago, Cyanide-Tipped said:

Compliance!

That’s made my day :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. Orange Thing, I tried black exhaust ports originally but they stood out a bit too much, the LBG with holes give a dark effect which looked good enough for me but ideally I’d have DBG with holes.

You should definitely go with white! Maybe you could slice up some black electrical tape to make a white cone into a stickered cockpit? And then white tape over the octagonal pipe, that would look smart. I’ll finish up the LDD and post a link to it tomorrow for you. I’ve made a couple of changes since taking the photos, I don’t know if you guys have this problem but I just can’t stop tinkering!

Edited by mcphatty

5 hours ago, mcphatty said:
5 hours ago, mcphatty said:

If anyone’s got any suggestions for different ways of building the tunnel I’d be grateful to hear them

How about this for the tunnel and cockpit.  Nice and simple

img_0837.jpg

Love this mini build! I'm excited to see the new (old?) Falcon on screen and in plastic. I've never owned a Lego falcon, and I really like the design for the solo movie, this might be my first!

Here’s a link to the Stud.io files for the MOC! I’ve only ever used Bricklink’s Stud.io, I’ll have a go at exporting an LDD but my laptop isn’t up to much. I’ve also changed a few pieces around the octagonal tunnel, there’s more of the round shape of the Falcon surrounding it now. Thanks for the tunnel suggestion Obijon, I’ll have a play and see how it looks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dy0jublvfjqstm9/AAAeb8IAyKZ4ZFa5DrilB5ila?dl=0

Edited by mcphatty

Got the extra parts to rearrange the Falcon with it’s original colours, I think I prefer it like this :)

80pKxWD.jpg