Robert8

In Memoriam: Remembering Nexo Knights

Loved the Lava Monsters (ordered quite a few from bnp), liked some of the stone monsters, and grieved over the absence of the mushroom monsters. Also loved the monster book with the monster pages. The face prints on the small balls and small new demonfigs were also very good/entertaining. The designer(s) of all those baddies got my thanks.

After a few waves a theme becomes a bit boring/repetitive (Ninjago/Chima/NK) so i'm okay with saying goodbye to KN. I will miss its baddies though.

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think NK will be remembered for its villains...

34 minutes ago, Borex said:

Loved the Lava Monsters (ordered quite a few from bnp)...

I agree.  I think the lava villains were the best, and I feel that year 1 will be remembered most fondly because of the villains.

Aside from that, it will likely be remembered in much the same way that KK2 has been remembered.  It was a highly contentious theme that didn't really capture the look and feel of Castle for many reasons, but there is a small core audience that embraced the creativity and will always appreciate it.

1 hour ago, ZORK64 said:

Oh, I liked the good guys for their space knight theme a bit more than the bad guys.

I quite liked them as well. I liked the new sword mold for Clay and the brick build axe, lance and especially the maces were a particular favourite of mine. I do think it's a shame Robin "joined" so late in it's run and only just now got a signature weapon in the form of a hammer. While I dislike the one we got in the final wave and have modified mine, it would have been nice to see a variety of brick build hammers, similar to the array of maces and lances we got.

I also didn't mind the characters myself (at least design wise), but then I also like the protagonists from Ninjago and see both seams as being a "Lego Sentai".

Edited by pawcanada

4 hours ago, pawcanada said:

I quite liked them as well. I liked the new sword mold for Clay and the brick build axe, lance and especially the maces were a particular favourite of mine. I do think it's a shame Robin "joined" so late in it's run and only just now got a signature weapon in the form of a hammer. While I dislike the one we got in the final wave and have modified mine, it would have been nice to see a variety of brick build hammers, similar to the array of maces and lances we got.

See, I much prefer the molded weapons.  So I appreciated Clay's new sword piece, even if it was a bit large and techy.  But I would have enjoyed Macy wielding the Mace that came with the Frightening Knight from the CMF.

My favorite piece from the theme was Lance's visor in pearl light grey, and I actually got one in transparent to go on a transparent helmet for an ice knight.

Seems like the best place to ask this. Did anyone else get a "Star Wars Sandcrawler" vibe from the Fortrex. 

Edited by samurai-turtle

I completely forgot to mention that I appreciated the amount of monsters and mechs utilizing Mixel Joints in Nexo Knights. After the end of the Mixels line, I was in a serious need of more of these glorious joints.

First-time poster here to mourn the passing of Nexo Knights.  I was that rare AFOL who adored the theme and loved the second-year stone monsters best of all -- many found the purple-grey-blue color scheme off-putting, but I thought it was fantastic. I really admire the courage and creativity of the theme (even if some of the sets didn't click), and I don't see anything else in Lego's catalog at the moment that draws my interest in the same way.  (But though I collected the sets, I couldn't be bothered to watch the TV show or play the game, so I clearly was not the target audience!)  I could read the writing on the wall -- the raft of discounts, the lack of advertising, the limited shelf space -- and knew that the theme's days were numbered, but I'm still unhappy that it had to end.  Farewell, NK!

On 20/02/2018 at 10:03 PM, Juxtapoisson said:

And the "bad guys" were for the most part amazing.

I found the "good guys" to be kinda iffy.

That is true of many in-house themes.

Atlantis, Alien Conquest, Galaxy Squad, Monster Fighters, Pharaoh's Quest ... who would take the heroes over the villains?

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Atlantis, Alien Conquest, Galaxy Squad, Monster Fighters, Pharaoh's Quest ... who would take the heroes over the villains?

I would, but with those five themes for instance you mentioned there, both sides were as equally intriguing. But with Nexo Knights, I honestly could care less about the theme's villains, save for maybe year three's adversaries with their more spacier rides.

Well, they "good guys" are just humans, while the "bad guys" are mosnters, aliens, mythical creatures, etc, so yeah they are usually more interesting

But here in Nexo Knights, the villains completely overshadowed the good guys. That didn't happen in other themes like Adventurers or Ninjago

If I recall correctly, when the first pics of Monster Fighters came out, it was speculated that the humans were actually the evil faction. It would be interesting if LEGO actually does that: Like an alien faction (good guys) defending themselves from a evil human faction (Blacktron)

On 2/26/2018 at 2:16 PM, Robert8 said:

But here in Nexo Knights, the villains completely overshadowed the good guys.

This is objectively true.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:16 PM, Robert8 said:

If I recall correctly, when the first pics of Monster Fighters came out, it was speculated that the humans were actually the evil faction. It would be interesting if LEGO actually does that: Like an alien faction (good guys) defending themselves from a evil human faction (Blacktron)

Didn't know that...might have to take a look at that thread again. Having an evil human faction would be interesting, but it would never happen. Why? blah blah blah something about kids not understanding that the monsters are actually good and all that. The usual. :tongue:

Was in a TRU last night picking among the carcass of the closing down sale. Aside from rolling my eyes at the massive 10% off all Lego (which clearly isn't going to shift unwanted stock anytime soon :sadnew:) I noticed Jestro's Volcanic Lair assembled in a display case.

Whilst I passed on that particular set at the time, probably moved by the soulless atmosphere in there (something TRU always maintained even before going into bankruptcy/administration) seeing it there forlornly amongst boxes of seemingly generic Star Wars vehicles and shelves full of Ninjago stuff and ubiquitous City police sets, it struck me how creative and well, fun, some of the NK sets were. Especially the villains. And that, the retiring TLNM sets aside, there's now a big vacuum to fill.

Edited by Lucarex

On 26/02/2018 at 1:51 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

But with Nexo Knights, I honestly could care less about the theme's villains, save for maybe year three's adversaries with their more spacier rides.

I guess everyone sees different things in a line. For me in NK:

The good: the red and some of the purple villians, great for fantasy minifigures; Moltor, good for any fire-y villian, inc Sauron,  some stone ones are good for old statue parts.

The bad: bricksters, I'm still undecided on the mecha type figures (vanbyter, etc) some parts might be useful.

Looking around at all my built sets on display from many themes, Star Wars, Ninjago, City, Speed Champions, Creator, Marvel Super Heros, DC, Lego Batman Movie, Technic and others, the dozen or so Nexo Knights sets I have are all disassembled and in parts bins. Not one single set or part of a set built or on display, I guess that sums up how I feel about the theme, just doesn't exist for me. 

Some good parts and colors came out from NK, however now I have a bunch of minifigs to unload. The line will not be missed by me at all and I look forward to its replacement. 

Edit; 

Actually the more I think about it, I would like for it to stick around awhile longer. It's often a great parts pack, especially orange and green trans clear pieces of unusual shapes, loads of black and grey pieces in not so common shapes and also some Technic elements. 

Add in the fact part count wise they are a good value and are often on discount as well, and it's not so bad. 

The funny thing is, years from now people will say, "I wish they would bring back Nexo Knights, that was a great theme, I don't see why they didn't do more things with it".

Edited by Johnny1360
Added some stuff

Its funny, when Nexo Knights came out I pretty much just ignored it, since I was riding the Skybound hype train at the time and didn't have enough income to buy too much lego at the time. When year 2 came out I was (and still am) a huge fan of the stone monsters, so I bought a few sets that had the bigger monsters in them, and cobbled together some on bricklink. I feel a bit mixed with year 3. I'm not particularly invested in the year 3 enemies, but I do want to pick up some of the parts, and the boxes for all the sets make them look far less appealing than I'm sure they really are. I'm definitely interested in hearing you guys' thoughts on the last wave.

Regarding the line as a whole, I feel that each year had an astounding amount of potential, and never really lived up to it. Sure there were some pretty good villain sets, but a lot of the theme just felt like it wasn't designed for me, which is a shame since I adore the 40k science-fantasy aesthetic that it has. I'd have loved to see where it might have gone though, and a lot of the concept art I've seen is really appealing. Overall it's a shame that the line was ended, since it really does feel like it could have been great.

Edited by shadefoundry