Sign in to follow this  
KevinyWu

[Safe Haven Cat. C]: The Spirit of Eryos

With his new ship The Spirit of Eryos, Prince Kevin the Navigator can finally live up to his name as a Navigator! He has set sail in search of new land, and is currently navigating through a cluster of tiny islands seemingly inhabited by Monkeys. Bartholomeus, his new apprentice, is travelling with him.

40062049601_fbf634d8cd_c.jpg26188650128_ae2004e7c4_c.jpg

Wow, I don't know how I managed to finish this in time for the challenge deadline! The image quality is not great, as it was rushed. I also don't have a different colored backdrop, so the sails are hard to see. Sorry! :blush: The only non-LEGO parts are the sails, which are craft foam with designs done by markers. The ship most closely resembles a carrack, although instead of a third mast I connected the back sail to the main mast. The ship has some rigging and a full interior. The hardest part about the build was probably making sure there were no gaps in the shaping of the front of the hull, as well as making the entire hull bow in just slightly.

Edited by KevinyWu

Great custom sails!  The GoH logo really pops.  Love the interior too, lots of detail, that micro ship in particular!  Great slant on the side and the curve on the front is well done.  And of course the stern with the dragon wings looks really nice!

Amazing curved design and interior aswell?  Wow...  Goh logo on sails?  Amazing ship mate...  I also really like the back side of the ship :) 

Really love your entry,  good luck 

Such a sweet one! the custom sails, as Kai said, really pop, and the hull-shaping and ccurving is marvellous. Proud to see the Avalonian colours flying from it's masts!

Great job!  I really like the sails, deck, and the removable floors.  I love the old school monkeys.  The whole thing looks good overall.  My only (small) criticism is that there is something that looks a bit off about the perspective.  It might be the rocks that close to the ship (as the ship might be grounded), although I realize that's probably due to size restrictions, and the rocks look great in and of themselves (especially how the water splashes around them), or maybe the ship sitting so high out of the water implies a very deep draft.  Keep up the awesome work!

Very nicely done, Kevin!  Great work on the ship all around, and the surrounding landscape is an excellent addition as well :thumbup:  The sails are fabulous, and the tilted sides of the ship work quite well too.  Plus, I always love a ship with a good interior, and you've really nailed that here, with lots of great details in there!  Excellent work! :pir-sweet:

Awesome ship, with great custom sails and even better shaping! The slants and curves are terrific. I thoroughly approve of the tiling everywhere, keeping the studs to a bare minimum and making the whole thing look smooth and professional. The fact that it has a complete interior, with tiled surfaces too, makes this top-notch - even a Snyder (@soccerkid6 and @LittleJohn) could not have done that part better. It does look way too tall in the water, though. And I am pretty sure that it would run aground somewhere among those islands; at very least it is a risky bit of sailing, not what I would want to do with a brand-new and probably very expensive ship, if I were Kevin!

On 2/3/2018 at 5:24 PM, Kai NRG said:

Great custom sails!  The GoH logo really pops.  Love the interior too, lots of detail, that micro ship in particular!  Great slant on the side and the curve on the front is well done.  And of course the stern with the dragon wings looks really nice!

Thanks Kai! Got to get those "extra points" in the contest with the GoH logo! :laugh:

On 2/4/2018 at 5:13 AM, Gunman said:

Amazing curved design and interior aswell?  Wow...  Goh logo on sails?  Amazing ship mate...  I also really like the back side of the ship :) 

Really love your entry,  good luck 

Thank you, good luck to you as well!

On 2/4/2018 at 8:46 AM, TitusV said:

Such a sweet one! the custom sails, as Kai said, really pop, and the hull-shaping and ccurving is marvellous. Proud to see the Avalonian colours flying from it's masts!

Long live Avalonia! Our navy is growing! Glad you like the hull shaping, too.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:03 PM, Grover said:

Great job!  I really like the sails, deck, and the removable floors.  I love the old school monkeys.  The whole thing looks good overall.  My only (small) criticism is that there is something that looks a bit off about the perspective.  It might be the rocks that close to the ship (as the ship might be grounded), although I realize that's probably due to size restrictions, and the rocks look great in and of themselves (especially how the water splashes around them), or maybe the ship sitting so high out of the water implies a very deep draft.  Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks for the criticism! You are completely correct, as I wanted the ship to look like a complete ship by itself. But I also wanted to make a diorama, so the end result is a bit wonky :sceptic:

On 2/5/2018 at 11:52 AM, Garmadon said:

Very nicely done, Kevin!  Great work on the ship all around, and the surrounding landscape is an excellent addition as well :thumbup:  The sails are fabulous, and the tilted sides of the ship work quite well too.  Plus, I always love a ship with a good interior, and you've really nailed that here, with lots of great details in there!  Excellent work! :pir-sweet:

Thanks, Garmadon! I tried to build the sides in a way that I could fit as much as possible into the ship's interior.

6 hours ago, koalayummies said:

What a beautiful scene and gorgeous ship inside and out. 

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Awesome ship, with great custom sails and even better shaping! The slants and curves are terrific. I thoroughly approve of the tiling everywhere, keeping the studs to a bare minimum and making the whole thing look smooth and professional. The fact that it has a complete interior, with tiled surfaces too, makes this top-notch - even a Snyder (@soccerkid6 and @LittleJohn) could not have done that part better. It does look way too tall in the water, though. And I am pretty sure that it would run aground somewhere among those islands; at very least it is a risky bit of sailing, not what I would want to do with a brand-new and probably very expensive ship, if I were Kevin!

Glad you like the shaping, it took many, many tries to get right. Tiles are expensive, but I really think ships in particular look better with tiles to get the texture wooden planks would have on a real ship. As for the the comment about the Snyders, I don't think I can be compared to them in any aspect :classic: (by the way, their furniture tutorials are top notch). As for the height in the water, I said the same thing to Grover in a comment above, but I wanted to make the ship look good on its own, so the ship in the layout does indeed look way too tall. :laugh:

A ship anyone would be proud to captain! Beautiful detailing along the exterior of the hull - the dark brown and reddish brown tile paneling looks exquisite :wub:
The details at the stern are also top-notch, and I was quite surprised to see a full interior inside! So much detail packed in there, the micro ship is a brilliant touch :thumbup:

Can't believe I didn't comment on this sooner. It is a lovely ship with an  excellent design. It really looks like a ship designed for trading large amounts of cargo.

I don't know how feasible it is as every ship design I ever sketched  up required the big hull pieces but because it is such a tall high sided vessel it might look better if you could redesign it slightly not to have the big hull  pieces but a plate base which might make it look  like it is riding lower in the water. The implication being that the big hull pieces are actually  below the waterline.

However having glanced through your builds and they are lovely. I really like the builds that focus  on the living, breathing, trading world. Battles and heros are fun but they need to be in a living world to have meaning.

15 hours ago, Muakhah said:

Can't believe I didn't comment on this sooner. It is a lovely ship with an  excellent design. It really looks like a ship designed for trading large amounts of cargo.

I don't know how feasible it is as every ship design I ever sketched  up required the big hull pieces but because it is such a tall high sided vessel it might look better if you could redesign it slightly not to have the big hull  pieces but a plate base which might make it look  like it is riding lower in the water. The implication being that the big hull pieces are actually  below the waterline.

However having glanced through your builds and they are lovely. I really like the builds that focus  on the living, breathing, trading world. Battles and heros are fun but they need to be in a living world to have meaning.

Thanks, this really means a lot!

I started building the ship as a stand-alone thing, but decided to add the base just to have some story with the monkeys. But I still want it to remain mostly a stand-alone piece, as I will probably destroy the base and reuse it for another creation very soon, but I want to keep the ship itself for a little longer. But yeah, I agree that in the water a lower base would look wayyy better.

I'm glad you like my other builds as well! The main reason that I don't do battles is because I don't have enough minifigs! :laugh: My spring break just started today, so hopefully I might have a new GoH creation done this week?

I love the ship! All the way from the great looking front to the rear where the hood works great with those wings! 

The interior is also eye candy!!

I tried to build a ship myself for the contest but its pretty darn hard! Now I have inspiration again!