obijon

(MOC) MINI Tie Silencer (EP VIII) - UPDATED

See reply below for updated model.

HI again everyone

This time I present the new Tie from TLJ - the Tie Silencer as flown by Solo Jr.

The main problem with this ship was the long thin panels.  At first I used a clever technique with horizontal hinges and an upside down 2x4 wedge plate but the panels ended up being too close together (as the straight edge of the wedge plate is lower than the tile in the pictures below).  I then moved the attachment of the wings further apart for the top and bottom but that just made the whole model look too tall.  Not to mention that the wings looked too thick.

wing1.jpgimg_0796.jpg

In the end I admitted defeat and just used 2x4 wedges for the front of the panels.  Hint to LEGO - can we have some 2x6 wedge plates please! ;-)

Anyway the final model looks pretty sleak and streamlined and looks pretty cool (i think anyway!) all in black.  Let me know what you think.

img_0813.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Jon

Edited by obijon
Updated model

That looks really nice, well done! The guns on the wing tips do a great job of making the whole thing look a lot longer, as a whole it’s a really convincing mini. I really like the Tie Silencer, my big one sits on a shelf with the micro fighter in front of it, it’s a shame the official sets have such rubbish cockpits but then it’s a really hard shape to replicate in Lego and a bit of customising did the trick for me. Have you tried using 2 more cheese pieces instead of the 1x2 tile for the bottom of your cockpit? Also, you should grab yourself a micro fighter set for a spare Kylo!

Thanks for the compliments .

yes the guns were deliberately used to make it look longer.  As I said if only there were longer wedge plates.

jon

Looks cool - One option to make the wings a bit longer would be to put a 1x4 flat piece on the tip of each wing (replacing the quarter piece and extending the 1x6 flat piece you already have on there). Then you can put the guns on the inside of the wing at the tip and remove the technic piece. Let me know if that didn't make sense and I can try to make an example and post a pic.

Good idea with the tile. The technic pins were a late edition to make it longer. I just wanted to use the 1x1 round plate with bar for the guns but it was too short.  

may well be an update soon......

So while I am trying to find the 1x4 tiles on some of my other models (or bricklink!) to finish this little bad boy off I have been tinkering with different cockpit designs and would like some feedback on what you guys think is the best one:

The original cockpit (option 1) is obviously not the best option.  I am leaning towards Options 2,5 or 6.  They look the best as the others I think have too much trans-red.

Sometimes you have to go for looks over 100% accuracy. ;-)

Anyway, let me know what you all think and I will incorporate in to the final model.

Jon

Option 1 (Origina)l:

img_0830.jpg

Option 2:

img_0831.jpg

Option 3:

img_0832.jpg

Option 4:

img_0834.jpg

Option 5:

img_0833.jpg

Option 6:

img_0836.jpg

Probably option 2! I think you’re right about looks over accuracy but it’s really hard with so few studs to play with. The microfighter is bigger than your moc but what about something like this? The pipes in the back of the 1x3 are fitted onto the studs with holes on the front of the bracket for a cheeky jumper...

d8joXa8.jpg

And just to show off, here’s my mod of the big Silencer’s cockpit, more about shape than accuracy. I can’t find the blog that I took inspiration from but some clever guy out there deserves a lot of credit for sorting out Lego’s horrible effort on the front of the cockpit :)

vAt56CC.jpg

Edited by mcphatty

Option 7 does use that jumper technique.......great minds and all that. 

I just have that on top with a 1x2 black cheese slope underneath just for the flow and shape of the overall model.  I had it all in trans-red but it was just too much for the size of the MINI.   I would have posted a pic of the MOD but I do not have all the pieces i need in black (yet).  The main body of the ship will look the same but due to how the cockpit will now attach with bricks and a 1x2 bracket instead of a 2x2 bracket I have had to rebuild how all the plates etc interact and I am missing some pieces.  It does not look right at the moment with white placeholders!

i am hoping the pieces arrive over the weekend so I can finish this one off (and the last few pieces for Supremacy and Mandator-IV Dreadnought I am working on ;-) ).

Edited by obijon
spelling

Hello all

I have finally got around to updating this little model.

I have updated the wingtips, cockpit, hatch and engines.  I have actually tinkered on more than one occasion with the cockpit and thought i was done on numerous occasions and was about to post updated pictures but different ideas kept entering my head.

I think i have finally settled on this version.  Anyway, let me know what you think of the finished model.

Jon

silencer1.jpgsilencer2.jpgsilencer3.jpgsilencer4.jpgsilencer5.jpgsilencer6.jpgsilencerdisplay.jpg

Really good job! I’m loving option 7, great work putting the round plate on top that finishes the cockpit nicely. It’s a really great little build.