Gunman

[A Safe Haven Cat A] : City of Salonica

...about 5 years ago, when things started to getting worse for the citizens of Euosmos and strange things where happening all over Mitgardia because of the rising hordes of Algus, a boat with a handful of brave men from Euosmos, sailed across Winter Lakes to the open sea towards East, far away from the known lands of Historica...

They were looking for a safe place away from any Algus threats, to make a new start for their civilization and keep the soul of Euosmos alive.

It took them about a month sailing before they finally saw land! The region was ideal to build a fortified city, so they immediately started working on it.... the city of "Salonica"

Soon they had their first houses ready and about three year after, the fortified walls were ready too. The named "Kastra of Thessaloniki" were one of the toughest walls all over Historica and the citizens were finally safe, for once and for all.

Hey there guys :)

thanks a lot for hosting this great contest, it was the big period we had available to build, that made me think to finally expand the Kastra Gatehouse I had built and also build the interior village I wanted. (you can exclude the main gatehouse from judging)

The project consists of 3x3 48baseplates for now and I aim to further expand it when I find time. The windmill at the hill is rotating with power functions, and there are also several lights at the tavern below it and around rockwork.

I was also thinking to make more threads and link them here with the main buildings/baseplates better photographed (detached) but for the time being I will leave it as it is, all together.

I am working on this project since the announcement of the contest, with a few months off and on, and the final moc consists of MANY parts as you can see xD

I hope you like it :wink:

Giorgos Solomonidis

Gunman

39994292022_7bc6b8f6e1_c.jpg

25155077817_f2490e441d_c.jpg

39316017634_e068e5774a_c.jpg

Kastra of Thessaloniki

26153133868_b9022aac75_c.jpg

26153128438_2ddb70d61d_c.jpg

39316138774_eb789df3cf_c.jpg

Military Parade

Every year since the beginning of the new era for the citizens of Euosmos, they organize a military parade to celebrate their new hometown.

Sir Gunman has left a clone of himself next to the King, because he has information that upcoming danger in incoming to the city of Salonica, and he has to prepare himself.

25155220067_829fe09369_c.jpg

Every citizen has a chance to see from close-up their brave military

28246886159_b8230124cf_c.jpg

39127845945_e70033af2d_c.jpg

The coming of the citizens of Euosmos to this land, wasn't so peaceful... in fact, strange fleshy looking people were living here.

All of them were captured and since then are kept on a small island on a lake near Salonica called Skyraloga  to avoid any transfer of their illness to the healthy citizens.

Every year, during the parade period, a few of them are taken from the small island and are forced to join the parade inside a wagon.

40025871621_7f663c9f8a_c.jpg

28246796859_c00b0bb2fb_c.jpg

25155144017_8c1419925a_c.jpg

39316056764_795479f9a3_c.jpg

25155135797_4711e6ff16_c.jpg

Dragonslayer's Inn

One of the top Inns in the City of Salonica, famous for its view from the balcony

25155234727_78fda81f03_c.jpg

28246786339_2626f7815a_c.jpg

Dimo's Stable

The stable, owned by Sir Gunman and his family, named after his grandfather. Some of the finest horses of Salonica and held there.

25155092157_aa64ba3166_c.jpg

28246872309_eaba3f0fa3_c.jpg

40025750331_7dc195ce23_c.jpg

28246771959_28655ebfe6_c.jpg

39315984464_739cbbd119_c.jpg

Sir Gunman it getting ready to leave his house and go see if the rumors for incoming danger are true,

25155131537_c88f3dc326_c.jpg

39127852215_c61bddb5e5_c.jpg

39316063764_4420dc9381_c.jpg

39316090134_cf0a8cf33e_c.jpg

Market

Every Sunday, one of the finest markets of the city is getting place near the Monument of the Fallen Angel

You can find from small fishes till one of the finest armors in the lands of Historica

28246841549_ebb6d8b6c2_c.jpg

28246833049_4a75c9bc9f_c.jpg

25155210717_9061614a3a_c.jpg

39316099694_53d76c2a4e_c.jpg

25155170897_3136a5e6c5_c.jpg

39316069764_61e5e62670_c.jpg

40025862831_dcf09e3811_c.jpg

39127947385_e388687641_c.jpg

25155166797_8a2da4f770_c.jpg

39316032614_d396df6cc2_c.jpg

40025759351_5c76fc73f2_c.jpg

The Statue of the Fallen Angel dedicated to all the fallen Mitgardians, during the long journey from Euosmos to Salonica

39316059964_8862445e9b_c.jpg

39127865275_f7df2c1220_c.jpg

Dragonslayer Windmill

This windmill is used by citizens and military people too.

Normal citizens use it to produce their flour while military people are on duty and use it as observatory for incoming danger around the city.

Next to the windmill, there is also a big Cross made out of stone, to threaten incoming enemies. Many citizens find this place very romantic, and choose it to get married.

39316093304_60b15d1995_c.jpg

28246849799_29678353cf_c.jpg

39316020444_c033c7fb69_c.jpg

25155086257_d8e4670c2b_c.jpg

25155073227_cf2e629d2e_c.jpg

28246723859_107fcff3af_c.jpg

28246778599_38936a2a60_c.jpg

Lights ON :laugh:

40025673401_2c7812a52f_c.jpg

40025669841_498bc801fa_c.jpg

39994294532_5650a44706_c.jpg

26152929298_98e0b8923f_c.jpg

40025676321_ee7b1db9cf_c.jpg

Spoiler

26153138538_cf7f15c96b_c.jpg

39127855945_92dde1c983_c.jpg

Last but not least I would like to claim the following:

Inn phase 3,Stable phase 3,Walls phase 3,Store phase 1

HSS entertainers.HSS Scholars,HSS Religious

Edited by Gunman

As a yellow supremacist I fully approve of your treatment of those fleshy *err* monstrosities!

The rest is great as always!

(wow, this was my 4000th post)

Wow, there is so much going on at once!:laugh: My favorite part is the balcony incorporated to the rockwork. The roof of the Smaug head building is really well done! The same can be said about almost everything here. Finally, my criticism is the windmill. Even though it is called "dragonslayer," using Smaug's wings makes it look too...alive:sceptic:

Wow Gunman, this is really amazing!  All the work you put into it definitely shows, tremendous size, and amazing amount of details!  I love your market place and the inn is spectacular too. The cheese slope roofs are awesome and the idea of building a balcony into the cliff face was brilliant! :thumbup:  So much to enjoy about this MOC, great work!

This is insanely detailed and creative.  I love the rockwork, it looks incredible.  The cheese slope roofs are are very creative.  The buildings are textured very well.  The use of smaugs' wings on the windmill is great.  The outside oven is cool.  I love the black chinmey and smoke.  The balcony is one of my favorite parts.  The fountain is awesome.  I could go on and on.  Just fantastic work.

mouth falls open

Such a huge build, and so very recognisable as originating from your hand!

It contains so many details that it will take me ages to notice them all, but before I'll go back to looking at the pictures, I do have two little remarks: first, there's just a bit to many bare studs for my taste (but that's nitpicking) and second, I absolutely, absolutely, ABSOLUTELY love the dragonhead above the door :wub: :dangry:

Overall, an amazing job for sure!

That is a stunning build. :wub:

I really like the colors you have used in this build.

The colors on the roofs and market stands makes the build alive and nice.

A great job on using large elements, like the rail tracks, basket and the wings. :thumbup:

16 hours ago, kabel said:

As a yellow supremacist I fully approve of your treatment of those fleshy *err* monstrosities!

The rest is great as always!

(wow, this was my 4000th post)

Ding xD :) Thanks a lot kabel :classic:

16 hours ago, KevinyWu said:

Wow, there is so much going on at once!:laugh: My favorite part is the balcony incorporated to the rockwork. The roof of the Smaug head building is really well done! The same can be said about almost everything here. Finally, my criticism is the windmill. Even though it is called "dragonslayer," using Smaug's wings makes it look too...alive:sceptic:

thanks a lot KevinyWu :) You think so? didn't think of it this way tbh :)

13 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Wow Gunman, this is really amazing!  All the work you put into it definitely shows, tremendous size, and amazing amount of details!  I love your market place and the inn is spectacular too. The cheese slope roofs are awesome and the idea of building a balcony into the cliff face was brilliant! :thumbup:  So much to enjoy about this MOC, great work!

Thanks a lot Kai :) glad you like it

9 hours ago, zoth33 said:

This is insanely detailed and creative.  I love the rockwork, it looks incredible.  The cheese slope roofs are are very creative.  The buildings are textured very well.  The use of smaugs' wings on the windmill is great.  The outside oven is cool.  I love the black chinmey and smoke.  The balcony is one of my favorite parts.  The fountain is awesome.  I could go on and on.  Just fantastic work.

Thanks a lot mate :)

5 hours ago, TitusV said:

mouth falls open

Such a huge build, and so very recognisable as originating from your hand!

It contains so many details that it will take me ages to notice them all, but before I'll go back to looking at the pictures, I do have two little remarks: first, there's just a bit to many bare studs for my taste (but that's nitpicking) and second, I absolutely, absolutely, ABSOLUTELY love the dragonhead above the door :wub: :dangry:

Overall, an amazing job for sure!

Thanks a lot Titus :) Regarding bare studs I guess you mean the reddish roads. I somehow textured the dark tan earth and somehow forgot/ignored texturing roads at all xD

(at walls I dont texture floors clearly for economy because it gonna get bigger and bigger as a project when I find time)

5 hours ago, sander1992 said:

That is a stunning build. :wub:

I really like the colors you have used in this build.

The colors on the roofs and market stands makes the build alive and nice.

A great job on using large elements, like the rail tracks, basket and the wings. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot sander :)

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Truly incredible. But poor Smaug.

hehe :) thank you

Awesome entry! I really like the architecture here of your roofs. Awesome design! Also like the shaping of the main gate and npu of the "dragonmill". Also, also, :laugh: clever use of the tracks for the cage! :thumbup:

Haha, the idea of the yellow figs suppressing the flesh figs is hilarious! Although if I had to choose a side I think I would go team flesh though. Up wit the rebellion :grin:

On a more serious note, I love this build as it is really unique from what we see alot of in Historica, and the backstory behind it is great. I love the different style of armour for the soldiers and the buildings in general. I also really love that windmill, the stonework technique used there is awesome:thumbup: 

There is so much to like in this build, but I will comment on the exceptional placement of minifigures. You have managed to create busyness without overcrowding. An amazing and inspiring build. 

Congratulations for yet another amazing creation my friend!

You must know that I consider myself lucky enough, as i am able to see and admire your creations from a closer look!

You did a great job once again! :sweet:

This is incredible, Gunman! The scale of it is huge! You did an amazing job on almost every part of it, too. I particularly love your wall texture; I have seen it before (on the original gatehouse) and have wanted to emulate it myself, though I figured that both I did not have the requisite number of textured bricks and it would not be in good taste to completely copy someone else's signature style. But it is great. 

I also love the cheese slope roofs, especially on the stables and inn, like others have been saying. I love me some cheese! And the balcony on the cliff is also a great touch. I am also impressed by the lighting and other details you have worked into the build. 

There are a few details that I think could be improved. First, as I think Titus mentioned, the road is rather...plain. That is actually not the worst thing, since it gives the highly detailed buildings a chance of standing out, but it would still be nice to see a stone here or there. Second, the chimney on the stables is a bit too cartoonish for me, starting out narrow and finishing huge up at the top; something a bit more practical, from a gravity (that thing would be almost impossibly heavy for the building like that) and functionality (most chimneys I have seen taper slightly, or at least just stay the same), would be better. Third, as a fleshie advocate, I find your race-based violence, humiliation, and degradation to be hurtful. Not really, but it is a bit disturbing to see the former Mitgardians being so prejudiced, considering the significant amount of diversity present in the four Guilds. Fourth, what are the trees at the top near the windmill made from? I do not recognize them. 

That being said, this is great. You did a wonderful job with the fig posing, the buildings, and most aspects of the landscaping, making for a tremendous build. This comment does not begin to truly do it justice. 

Looks really good, although i am not a big fan of the rockwork. I feel like that pattern is used a lot in mocs and does not add other textures/colors.

11 hours ago, Mike S said:

Awesome entry! I really like the architecture here of your roofs. Awesome design! Also like the shaping of the main gate and npu of the "dragonmill". Also, also, :laugh: clever use of the tracks for the cage! :thumbup:

Glad you like it Mike :) 

11 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Haha, the idea of the yellow figs suppressing the flesh figs is hilarious! Although if I had to choose a side I think I would go team flesh though. Up wit the rebellion :grin:

On a more serious note, I love this build as it is really unique from what we see alot of in Historica, and the backstory behind it is great. I love the different style of armour for the soldiers and the buildings in general. I also really love that windmill, the stonework technique used there is awesome:thumbup: 

Thanks a lot Maestro :) Regarding flesh-yellow thing,  hey it's just a game and I wanted to troll a bit here xd although as kabel said,  I am with the yellows 

11 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

There is so much to like in this build, but I will comment on the exceptional placement of minifigures. You have managed to create busyness without overcrowding. An amazing and inspiring build. 

Thanks a lot Silent wolf :) 

9 hours ago, Patgeo said:

Congratulations for yet another amazing creation my friend!

You must know that I consider myself lucky enough, as i am able to see and admire your creations from a closer look!

You did a great job once again! :sweet:

Thanks a lot Giorgi :) 

7 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is incredible, Gunman! The scale of it is huge! You did an amazing job on almost every part of it, too. I particularly love your wall texture; I have seen it before (on the original gatehouse) and have wanted to emulate it myself, though I figured that both I did not have the requisite number of textured bricks and it would not be in good taste to completely copy someone else's signature style. But it is great. 

I also love the cheese slope roofs, especially on the stables and inn, like others have been saying. I love me some cheese! And the balcony on the cliff is also a great touch. I am also impressed by the lighting and other details you have worked into the build. 

There are a few details that I think could be improved. First, as I think Titus mentioned, the road is rather...plain. That is actually not the worst thing, since it gives the highly detailed buildings a chance of standing out, but it would still be nice to see a stone here or there. Second, the chimney on the stables is a bit too cartoonish for me, starting out narrow and finishing huge up at the top; something a bit more practical, from a gravity (that thing would be almost impossibly heavy for the building like that) and functionality (most chimneys I have seen taper slightly, or at least just stay the same), would be better. Third, as a fleshie advocate, I find your race-based violence, humiliation, and degradation to be hurtful. Not really, but it is a bit disturbing to see the former Mitgardians being so prejudiced, considering the significant amount of diversity present in the four Guilds. Fourth, what are the trees at the top near the windmill made from? I do not recognize them. 

That being said, this is great. You did a wonderful job with the fig posing, the buildings, and most aspects of the landscaping, making for a tremendous build. This comment does not begin to truly do it justice. 

Thanks a lot for your CC HQ, I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to write so many things for CC. Regarding roads,  I fully agree as I totally forgot/ignored them. 

Regarding chimney,  I was like let's do this,  it came out OK but cartoonish as you said,  but I decided to leave it as it cause I really like it. As you have seen I am not too stuck with historical correct etc and many times I prefer create strange things and leave them as is,  because I like their looks (like the boats above maingate) 

Regarding fleshies,  it was expected from fleshie fans to feel somehow,  but as I said above,  I clearly wanted to troll the yellow-flesh war but sorry if it really disturbed you. As you can see I have one exception,  for sigfigs,  I have Infernum  and Alfadas. Also  citizens of Salonica are still Mitgardians, just on a new land. Trees are those here here mate:https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=GTPine#T=S&C=6&O={"color":6,"iconly":0}

Then again thanks a lot for your CcC HQ and glad you like it:) 

4 hours ago, nicman said:

Looks really good, although i am not a big fan of the rockwork. I feel like that pattern is used a lot in mocs and does not add other textures/colors.

I wanted really steep hill and that technique was OK to help me give fast height,  thanks a lot :) 

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous MOC! My favorite parts are the Dragonslayer's Inn, the Dimo's Stable and the Statue of the Fallen Angel! Very nice roof texturing too... There’s also some NPU: my favorites are the green minifig pants :laugh: 

I think this may be one of my favorite builds from this contest.  The colors are awesome, and very artistic.  The dragons head tavern/inn is spectacular, and the whole thing behind a town wall is great--it really adds to the texture if you ask me.  The parade is awesome, too, and everything is open enough that you can see it but still detailed enough that there's always something new to see when you look at it again.  Fantastic!

Just wow!  Very impressive build Gunman - absolutely huge, and packed full with typical Gunman NPUs too! :grin:  I'm not sure I can say what's my favorite part, but I do really like the section with the parade and stands, the back of the stables, and the texture on the city walls :thumbup:  Nice to see such an array of Mitgardian figs too, and the lighting and functions are a neat addition - great job all around!  

On 2/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I can't handle such a huge diorama! :wub:

Beautiful MOC!

thanks a lot mate :)

On 2/3/2018 at 1:47 PM, Faladrin said:

Fantastic ! Amazing diorama ! :wub:

Thank you :)

On 2/3/2018 at 10:17 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous MOC! My favorite parts are the Dragonslayer's Inn, the Dimo's Stable and the Statue of the Fallen Angel! Very nice roof texturing too... There’s also some NPU: my favorites are the green minifig pants :laugh: 

Glad you like it mate :)

On 2/4/2018 at 11:14 PM, Grover said:

I think this may be one of my favorite builds from this contest.  The colors are awesome, and very artistic.  The dragons head tavern/inn is spectacular, and the whole thing behind a town wall is great--it really adds to the texture if you ask me.  The parade is awesome, too, and everything is open enough that you can see it but still detailed enough that there's always something new to see when you look at it again.  Fantastic!

Thanks a lot Grover :)

22 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Just wow!  Very impressive build Gunman - absolutely huge, and packed full with typical Gunman NPUs too! :grin:  I'm not sure I can say what's my favorite part, but I do really like the section with the parade and stands, the back of the stables, and the texture on the city walls :thumbup:  Nice to see such an array of Mitgardian figs too, and the lighting and functions are a neat addition - great job all around!  

Thank you Garmadon! :)

Wow! Lovely build with so many details to enjoy :classic:
One detail I particularly love is the wooden walkway along the cliff!

6 hours ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Wow, it is just so impressing.

Thanks mate:) 

3 hours ago, Gideon said:

Wow! Lovely build with so many details to enjoy :classic:
One detail I particularly love is the wooden walkway along the cliff!

Glad you like it Gideon :)