Sign in to follow this  
koalayummies

[MOC] Charting a Desert Island

With multiple official sets coming out with tiny ships I couldn't resist the urge to get in on the tiny ship-making action. Here's my version of a tiny wooden Lego ship, charting a desert island. Mast and sail construction inspired by by the ship in the promotion 40290.

39983370922_17205ecd33_b.jpg

28236109329_9e75caf778_b.jpg

39983370972_b8e692ac3f_b.jpg

Edit: Updated ship:

26217399988_deb895a756_b.jpg

Edited by koalayummies

15 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

I love these mini sets!  Very well done, sir!

Thank you very much! :blush:

5 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

beautiful!

Thanks! Too kind.

But as seems to happen more often lately with mocs I can't stop tinkering with it. Altered the sail plan a little, made it more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing and significantly increased the strength of the mast builds by connecting the lower portion of the sail to the deck. 

40029512241_d17a66f501_b.jpg

40029512281_91605595a8_b.jpg

The sails look a bit more realistically... puffy, from a side profile now. 

40029512301_c94b5370fa_b.jpg

40029512291_368ca6a718_b.jpg

Im always jealous of these builds in this scale ... Mine never seem to work out so well

Fantastic ship ... Looks very well built ... And a great scene to boot

17 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

I challenge you to brick build a British flag in this scale :laugh:

Haha I have challenge insta-failed on that one. Well played!

12 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Very fine micro ship you have there! Great job on the details! :thumbup:

Thanks Captain Braunseld!

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Im always jealous of these builds in this scale ... Mine never seem to work out so well

Fantastic ship ... Looks very well built ... And a great scene to boot

Thanks!

I was the same. I always love the tiny ships (and of course big minifigure-scale ships too) but didn't even know where to begin. I suggest to keep at it! This one was all free-built over a couple of evenings just trying out countless connections and looks until it came together.

In fact it still wasn't as good as it can be as I accidentally knocked it off the shelf last night and it exploded on the hardwood floor which led me to notice where some improvement connections/piece swaps could be made to further improve the overall strength of the build. 

Just keep trying!

Hey ! That's a nice micro ship !

The sails are nicely done and the gun ports are good at this scale. The only criticism I would have is on the aft mast. The sail doesn't feel really realistic in this position. Perhaps doing a bit taller mast with the fore-and-aft sail sticked along the mast would be better. But I am just nitpicking...

Good job !

9 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Hey ! That's a nice micro ship !

The sails are nicely done and the gun ports are good at this scale. The only criticism I would have is on the aft mast. The sail doesn't feel really realistic in this position. Perhaps doing a bit taller mast with the fore-and-aft sail sticked along the mast would be better. But I am just nitpicking...

Good job !

Thanks Faladrin! 

What a coincidence you mention the aft sail and mast as I was just playing around with the design again last night and focused on that area. I was able to come up with a couple alternate methods of attachment but didn't like any of them. I shall try your suggestion and see how it goes. Thanks!

Further ship changes. I agree that the aft sail needed some work and thanks for the push. Decided to add a third mast making it full-rigged. The mainsail is now slightly larger than the rest and changed the aft most sail to a spanker. I haven't yet checked the spanker connections for legality with LDD but it looks like its in-system to the eye and feeling and because of the plate height of the mast vs the stud length of the sail and the clips it actually wants to sit right at that great angle and forcing it to any other angle makes the lightsaber pieces want to back out of the two plate modified/clip pieces. 

26217399988_deb895a756_b.jpg

26214308378_e7ffb35d98_b.jpg

26214308408_79a012f11c_b.jpg

26214308428_621e193ff5_b.jpg

Edited by koalayummies
Picture link... again argh!

That looks really good. Great detailing on the ship and the landscape is really nice.

I like the use of the new leaves.