Final:

41689161024_9c7a42c6c5_c.jpg

41689161604_1400fd09fc_c.jpg

I present Supercar X, my second giant supercar and the largest I have ever built. It is fully manual and has a four-speed gearbox, steering, and a V8 in the rear. It also has opening doors and full independent suspension. More pictures in latest post!

~~~WIP Topic~~~

Hi all!

I was debating whether to post this as a WIP topic because it kind of diminishes the "wow" factor, but I really need some opinions. After some small cars, I decided to go big with this next supercar and see what happens. Here is the chassis so far:

(sorry for bad pic, last-minute)

39116288615_8e5f6f9fd2_z.jpg

It has a multilink suspension for the rear (reverse engineered from one of @nicjasno's older videos) and a double wishbone for the front. It is rear-wheel drive. I added a V8 engine instead of a V10 engine for space. It has a 4-speed gearbox as well.

Here is a pic of the rear suspension I took earlier.

39116288225_cbdbfce400_z.jpg

I also have had trouble with the switch for the gearbox. Instead of a regular one, I would like to try one that has a pivot point 8880-style, but with a regular switch. Please give me an opinion on this model, many aspects need to be changed!
-TechnicRCRacer

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

A lot of work is needed, you will learn. The engine needs to move, it looks bad there. which way the car it facing, barely can tell.

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

A lot of work is needed, you will learn. The engine needs to move, it looks bad there. which way the car it facing, barely can tell.

Definitely. The engine is in the front and I am not sure where else to put it. 

Well it is a little unusual spot of the engine for realism. Most would be weighted evenly with the front axle or a supercar usually inboard front axle. But there was the Lancia Fulvia? with engine out front that was a rally champion so why not!

I like WIP’s, good work.

Engine is really too far in the front, it just can't stay there, also car seems too long for the tire size.

I started to work on something like dodge viper, some kind of supercar with front engine. It is really challenging. In fact, that car has engine just behind front axle, and by proportions, V10 there doesnt fit exactly. In fact, all supercars with fornt engine, have engine just behind center of front axle, or littlebit shifted in forward or backward. So I have also that project litllebit postponed. Waiting for inspiration to continue. Some reason also is that, I wanted to implement axle with good pivot point, which takes pretty much space, and V type engine doesnt fit between

Looking at the rear suspension, I remember trying something like that before, with those large ball joints. It ended up being too rigid for the shocks to rebound it, when the suspension was compressed. Just wondering how well yours turned out, does it work well? I even doubled up the shocks and it  was still just to stiff to function properly. 

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

also car seems too long for the tire size.

I was thinking of maybe ordering some 42000 tires. 

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

Just wondering how well yours turned out, does it work well? I even doubled up the shocks and it  was still just to stiff to function properly. 

It works perfect for me!

As has already been said, the wheels are definitely too small given the overall proportions and the engine is in the wrong way place. If it’s Front engined it should have its centre of mass directly above the front axle (worse case) or better rear of the front axle. The engine is the heaviest single item in an ICE car (or batteries for BEVs) and because of this you want this mass between the axles otherwise handling is “interesting”

As soon as I read "Super-car X" I thought Elon Musk must be up to it again. ANYWAY, I like your axles, but as others have said the engine should be positioned either in front of the rear axle or behind the front axle. 

25 minutes ago, nicjasno said:

That multilink from one of my old videos is total shite btw :laugh:

Your suspension, your words. Perhaps a little more harsh than mine, but I honestly can't see it working very well at all. To me it just seems geometrically all wrong, flimsy and lacking of travel. Not trying to be a jerk, just think it could use some refinement. 

Just now, Johnny1360 said:

Your suspension, your words. Perhaps a little more harsh than mine, but I honestly can't see it working very well at all. To me it just seems geometrically all wrong, flimsy and lacking of travel. Not trying to be a jerk, just think it could use some refinement. 

That is a very correct assesment. It was put together in a few minutes just for demo purposes.

2 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Well, now I'm not sure what to do:sceptic: There are more flaws than I expected and do not know where to start. @nicjasnoWhat should I do about the rear suspension? @Aventador2004 How should I make room for the engine? Should I order bigger tires?

Put it in the mid rear area, there is space.

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

Put it in the mid rear area, there is space.

First, before I move it to the back, I need to find out how to make a better rear axle, but I will move the engine back there soon.

You need a better rear suspension. Look at what i did with the challenger suspension in one of the newer videos.

If you ask what to do, I'd personally give another option: finish this current car to your own liking, learn from the comments here and then start a new project trying to pick up some of the suggestions you've got.

The reason I suggest this is that if you keep improving and tinkering your current chassis, you might never come to building the body, and you might want to practice that as well, otherwise you'll end up being very good at chassis building but still novice at bodywork.

I did the same thing when I learned to program computer games. My first games sucked, but at least they were complete, so I got through the whole thing, and learned a bit about each step.

20 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

If you ask what to do, I'd personally give another option: finish this current car to your own liking, learn from the comments here and then start a new project trying to pick up some of the suggestions you've got.

The reason I suggest this is that if you keep improving and tinkering your current chassis, you might never come to building the body, and you might want to practice that as well, otherwise you'll end up being very good at chassis building but still novice at bodywork.

I did the same thing when I learned to program computer games. My first games sucked, but at least they were complete, so I got through the whole thing, and learned a bit about each step.

+1

What I found is that attaching bodywork to a chassis needs a lot of revising on the chassis to get the correct attachment points. Now I always try to build with at least a sketch of bodywork so I know how to make the chassis fit

I moved the engine to the rear, slightly in front of the rear axle.

TO DO:

• Make a better shift knob
  • Bodywork (might experiment with 3L beams over soft axles)
  • Redesign the front bumper slightly
  • Interior

26342970178_1c7e4f77df_c.jpg

8 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I am loving how the front is coming together :wub:

Wow, me too, it's simple but looks awesome!

I like how this model is coming along.

Just now, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Wow, me too, it's simple but looks awesome!

I like how this model is coming along.

Thanks a lot! I hope to add the sides soon and I should finish this by July so I can make it to a convention!

Still going! (sorry for not posting for a while)

38892079490_8884d03d22_c.jpg

I have finished the hood and (most of) the front end. I am not really happy with the back yet, it is not very sporty, but I have made some progress:

38892079690_3a9ee23ddf_c.jpg

Otherwise, I have added most of one side of the car:

40702512381_920174d7c2_c.jpg

Please tell me what you think! I have pretty much run out of panels for now:laugh:, but I will have more soon! Also, if you have any ideas for the back end, let me know!

-TechnicRCRacer