Paperinik77pk

FS 207 - Badoni / Breuer type IV

Hi all,

I'd like to present you something I did two years ago, and that I continue to improve. It is a small workhorse very popular here in Italy.

Probably it is known in Europe as Breuer Type IV, here in Italy it was produced under Breuer license from a workshop in Lecco, the "Antonio Badoni Lecco" or simply ABL. This apparently small company built the Ataturk bridge in Istanbul and part of the Milan Central station, plus a lot of other surprisingly complex infrastructures.

Therefore the locomotive section began with this kind of licensed product. A small shunter, which was broadly used in nearly all Italian railway stations, and got the Italian nickname of "sogliola" ("sole"), due to its flattened cabin. I sincerely love this little thing (and all other ABL shunters), since I saw it in an old station, left abandoned on a dead track.:blush:

FS marked these small locomotives as 207/208 and there was a bigger version too (210/211).

WP_20180131_19_38_09_Rich - CopyWP_20180131_19_39_01_Rich - CopyWP_20180131_19_39_22_Rich - CopyWP_20180131_19_32_57_Rich - Copy

I represented the last version of the ABL Type IV, with normal puffers and standard headlights. The real one has a chain on one side which drives the small wheels. I chose a central masked wheel (made with vintage slick tyres). A 9v red micro-motor powers the two central wheels.

It is 9-wide, and scale is not particularly accurate. Maybe some suggestions can help me to correct its proportions.

It is slow as it should be and not very powerful, but it can shunt properly. It cannot host batteries inside, so it needs a battery box on a pulled car, or a dummy car with an empty 9v motor to pick-up electricity from track. 

I hope you like this little thing! :laugh:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Are you saying that the FS 207 is the shortest standard gauge diesel shunter to be built? Blooming heck! Of course, we have the smallest standard gauge steam locomotive to be built, Peckett 1900, aka 'The Flying Bufferbeam'!

Anyway, that's a really cool build you've done. I didn't know those 9v micromotors could be used like that!
(Is the shunter still there?)

3 minutes ago, Steamdemon said:

Are you saying that the FS 207 is the shortest standard gauge diesel shunter to be built? Blooming heck! Of course, we have the smallest standard gauge steam locomotive to be built, Peckett 1900, aka 'The Flying Bufferbeam'!

Anyway, that's a really cool build you've done. I didn't know those 9v micromotors could be used like that!
(Is the shunter still there?)

Yes it is alive  , photos were made today :laugh:. Wow! The small Flying Bufferbeam is great!!! 

I didn't know Breuer tractors were made under license. They seem to be much beloved across Europe!

1 hour ago, Paperinik77pk said:

It is 9-wide, and scale is not particularly accurate. Maybe some suggestions can help me to correct its proportions.

It is slow as it should be and not very powerful, but it can shunt properly. It cannot host batteries inside, so it needs a battery box on a pulled car, or a dummy car with an empty 9v motor to pick-up electricity from track. 

I previously modeled a Breuer Type 3, but its small size at my typical scale kept me from motorizing it. Since you need a separate car for batteries, maybe it would make sense to motorize the auxiliary car instead?

Yes, it can be done by removing the two central wheels, I already tried it in the past :laugh:. I motorized it since it was a good challenge to me. I tried also the 4,5v technic motor but it was way too big :thumbdown:

I thought, "that's a neat little model, wait it's got a MOTOR?!" Even though it's just the motor, it's still impressive it could fit; I'd never have thought to use tyres for traction. Do you think a 9v square-type battery and custom adapter would fit? It couldn't be remotely controlled though, so a bit useless for shunting. Excellent work nonetheless.

@Steamdemon I think the "Flying Bufferbeam" wins in being the flattest, rather than shortest locomotive. 

9 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

It cannot host batteries inside, so it needs a battery box on a pulled car, or a dummy car with an empty 9v motor to pick-up electricity from track. 

I've seen a few people (*cough, cough* legoman666) on this forum use metal model railroad wheels and create custom track power pickups. If you could get your hands on some metal train wheels maybe you could use something similar to provide track power? Not sure how good you are with wiring and electronics, of course!

2 hours ago, CrispyBassist said:

I've seen a few people (*cough, cough* legoman666) on this forum use metal model railroad wheels and create custom track power pickups. If you could get your hands on some metal train wheels maybe you could use something similar to provide track power? Not sure how good you are with wiring and electronics, of course!

Thanks for suggestion! It is one good idea. The power pickups can be put near the plastic wheels, 4 copper lids touching the track can be used.

I personally chose to use the external battery box since, apart 12v trains, I focus my MOCs on battery-powered and PF models (or alternative power, like clockwork and pneumatic)  - I also have 9v rails around, but I've never been into 9v world too much if not for collection purposes. 

I just found  there are some 9v batteries (code 10a), which are veeeery small and can be put inside the cabin. I could try one of these (or two in parallel for better durability - they are made for car alarm keys) . :sweet:

41 minutes ago, Ex cinno said:

Your little shunter is amazing and the Badoni's book is interesting too. Nice work.

Thanks!!! I'd really like to see if it can shunt one of your wonderful Italian locomotives  :laugh: ,  but I don't think so :classic:

Hi,

maybe a buwizz battery box would fit?

It runs on Bluetooth and does not need an extra space consuming receiver.

A similar option could be the PFx brick.

Ciao

CaL

Nice suggestion, they seem a bit too big for this one! I'm designing a 1:36 version (10 wide), probably that one will have sufficient room to fit some kind of controller and a bigger motor :laugh:

Buwizz is great!!! You gave me an idea...:wink: