Sign in to follow this  
Roadmonkeytj

[SR-MRCA] Welcome to the Jungle Part 4

Dramatis Personae:

Spoiler

Additional Cast:

IMG_20180131_111119

Capitan Larvey 

After convincing his long time friend Gustaf Von Bricktin to Loan him a ship and finding that very ship detained on its maiden voyage... He finds himself trapped on a beautiful Isla and his grog rations are running out.

IMG_20180131_103739

Hammond 

While in freeport he heard of The Drunken Monkey taking on crew he had sailed with Larvey before and knew he was a drunk but a great Capitan ... Unless he was sober then he was a bitter angry man.  Hammond was a good at weaponry and would often set the hour glass and see how many times he could rebuild his musket before the sand ran out.

IMG_20180131_111154

Monty 

A frenchman by birth he had sailed with Gustaf and was one of his trusted men.  He recived post to meet The Drunken Monkey in Freeport as he needed a good set of eyes on his new ship.  To say he was good with a blade was to say the ocean was barely salty.

IMG_20180131_111247

Matchstick

He had sailed with Larvey for a long time even though he was still young he had become an expert gunner and was a bit of a firebug ... He had lost his eye when some heavy shot tore through the ship sending splinters flying.  Some say its made his aim more focused as he sights in the big guns

IMG_20180131_111506

Cookie 

He was the ships cook and a man you didn't cross. Rumor had it he dabbled in Alchemy but no one dared ask.

Previously,

At Fuerte Unido, Isla de Victoria, Eslandola...

24369951161_932640e54d_t.jpg    

Capitan Larvey I was told your the go to man for large scale fermentation the new plant we discovered.

rsz_25135295117_0a0cea9168_b

Ferm ... T.. What are you going on about is this more of your science lady Glycol?

Why yes it seems Im really on to something here the product seems to contain certain hallucinagantic properties that when yo...

Let me stop you there I've got no use for your science just give me the sea.

My Science has produced the next greatest liquor Capitan Larvey!

Booze? Well why didn't you just say so ... I'll get started right away lil lady Glycol

So after searching the Capitain Discovered a perfect location he bribed payed the local powers that be the licencing fees for his distillery production was soon underway.

IMG_20180129_042237

Here you see Hammond and Monty returning from the Jungle with more raw ingredients

IMG_20180129_042126

Larvey and his crew loiter around keeping away the riff raff ... Or are they the riff raff ...  You can see even the local monkeys love this stuff.

IMG_20180129_043643

An overview of the distillery. The local powers that be are inspecting ... Well one is the other seems to be thirsty.

IMG_20180129_042508

Capitain Larvey added a contraption called a thumper. And two worms in cold water to speed up production.

IMG_20180129_043651

Here Cookie mixes up a new batch of mash 

IMG_20180129_043922

Here you see matchstick tending to the boiler fire

IMG_20180129_043908

A toast gentlemen ... And err lady.  Man I sure am thirsty....

Spoiler

And lastly a shot with no figs

IMG_20180129_042943

OOC: this will be licenced as a medium factory this was a fun build ... Sadly i had to pul the stickers off my cement mixer but the effect was well worth it I think.

To be continued ...

Comments and criticisms are all welcome!

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Edited for reasons ...

I knew this had been posted, but I couldn't find it!   It got lost in the challenge entries.

I believe I mentioned in PMs that I really like this effort.  The build is solid (I saw the technique on the door arch... nice) and I like the colour choices.  The distillery apparatus is quite awesome in design and authenticity.  You tied it into our storyline beautifully too.  Overall it is a great MOC.

I noted you used a two-tone backdrop in the photo. You still have a lot of shadows though.  Rather than buy/move lamps, do you have a big window where you get natural light?  I "cheat" and use the sun to brighten my photos, and use a lamp to reduce back shadows. Not perfect by any means ofc. Maybe an option for you. 

3 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

I knew this had been posted, but I couldn't find it!   It got lost in the challenge entries.

I believe I mentioned in PMs that I really like this effort.  The build is solid (I saw the technique on the door arch... nice) and I like the colour choices.  The distillery apparatus is quite awesome in design and authenticity.  You tied it into our storyline beautifully too.  Overall it is a great MOC.

I noted you used a two-tone backdrop in the photo. You still have a lot of shadows though.  Rather than buy/move lamps, do you have a big window where you get natural light?  I "cheat" and use the sun to brighten my photos, and use a lamp to reduce back shadows. Not perfect by any means ofc. Maybe an option for you. 

Unfortunately there is not much "natural light" when I take my photos since i work an off shift i build in the twilight hours lol i actually have heavy curtains over the windows so lighting is my downfall ... I need to get a couple of positionable lights... My other challenge is i have to photograph when my boys are sleeping otherwise i have trucks and little fingers in the shots lol.

The build was really fun ... I actually struggled for a min on how ... Rather what bricks to use for the still.  My city concrete mixer saved the day though ... I actually struggled with the Lyne Arm and Neck ... I just couldn't come up with a combination of elements that looked right the old palm tree trunk really worked out well IMHO.

The arch was a last min addition as well as a few other small details im sure you can spot from the pre-changes picture in the pms ... I was wanting to keep it a clean look as all the pictures I've seen of "colonial factories" have a lack of ornate details.   

As far as the story I really Tried to tie it together with the style Pombe started out with ... And gracefully loaned Professor Glycol to do so