DarkShadow73

42043 Arocs Turntable problem - Please help!!

I just today finished building the 42043 MB Arocs Truck. Yeah, 2 and a half yrs after release. 

Issue: I cannot get the turntable to turn freely. I realized before I built the model that this was a topic when released, but its really bugging me that I just can't get the turntable to turn without hitching or getting hopelessly stuck. The instructions we're really confusing and unclear, both with the routing thru the turntable opening, but also how to route the hoses to the valves also. I Googled topic, found a little about it. I did find a post someone put up somewhere, as Google did lead me to an Aug 2015 discussion on Eurobricks about removing all the hoses and routing them one at a time through the turntable. Makes sense, so I removed dump bed and the 3x5 H frame and took the turntable off the truck, but instead of dealing with the valve bodies and 3x3 liftarms where the 8 hoses route through under the turntable, I decided to pull the 6 upper hoses off the T-pieces (which btw should have those stepped inputs like the valves and cylinders) and also removed the 2 hoses that go direct up thru the table onto the lower cylinder on the crane that raises it up and down.

This is so damn frustrating, I am just not sure what I am doing wrong. I put them one by one back up thru and reconnected to all attachment points, but no dice they are somehow still getting pinched (I definitely hear a rubber on rubber or rubber on plastic (turntable opening) noise). Really only difference it makes is now it is worse when the turntable goes to the right or left past dead center. Though it seems to be more of a problem going from 0 deg down towards the stop on the right side of the truck.  

I was really excited to finally get the truck completed and it is really a beauty, all other functions perform flawlessly (both pneumatic and regular PF), but that's just it, I love to build and display, but I also enjoy ALL of the functions working as they should. Geez, I have nearly every Technic set produced since 2003 (when I forayed into Technic from other themes) and quite a few from before that.  I built the pneumatic heavy 8455 Backhoe and it operated without one issue.  

I am rather sure others may have experienced this beyond the little bit I was able to dig up from Aug 2015, so any help/advice is much appreciated.

Post some pictures, maybe video. Maybe then we could help.

I had no problems with this, instructions were clear to me.

I have a similar problem where the turntable binds and the clutch gear slips. Have taken it off but can't see any way of rerouting the hoses in a better way.

Had the Arocs for about 2+ years now, never had any trouble with it, though I did take a few tries to reroute the hoses better through the middle of it. You just have to make sure the longest hoses are in the back/run over the shorter hoses. Otherwise this can generate a lot of friction, which might be your issue.

Photos would help. Upload them to Flickr, then copy/paste the BBCode here.

8 hours ago, MIchaelF said:

I have a similar problem where the turntable binds and the clutch gear slips. Have taken it off but can't see any way of rerouting the hoses in a better way.

MIchealF - yes, I am having the same issue, I have rerouted, but I just get the friction/binding of the hoses in other areas when operating the turntable.

Anatem - thank you for the pics. I guess mine looks about like yours, unfortunately my camera is crap, need to get a new one, but yes Jurss and Anatem pics or video would help, but like I said it seems all the hoses just kind of go up thru the turntable in no particular order, except following the instructions for each pair of them.

Leonardo da Bricki - I will try your method and see how it comes out, this thing kept me up way past my bedtime and it was a rough one working this morning. I left the hoses all disconnected again and even though I want a nap bad, it is bugging me too much to sleep, I'll give it another go.  

Guess i could try zipstrips to bunch all the hoses together, somehow I don't think that would work tho...:wink:

I have long ago disasambled it, so I can't show, how it was in my case. But I just followed instructions. 

Didn't have any problems with the instructions myself, but I always disassemble back to before the point where theres an issue and start again. I find this not only cures the problem but gives me a fuller understanding of the mechanics of the model and insight into using similiar designs in MOC's.

11 minutes ago, HeresJohnnny said:

Didn't have any problems with the instructions myself, but I always disassemble back to before the point where theres an issue and start again. I find this not only cures the problem but gives me a fuller understanding of the mechanics of the model and insight into using similiar designs in MOC's.

I believe this is one of the best, if not the best solution to assembly problems, and is what I do as well.

All that said, I have long since disassembled my AROCS, but I do remember that it took very careful routing of the hoses to make it work right. 

I think @Leonardo da BrickiHas the right idea about how to position the hoses.

Andy D

It’s funny because I have the same problem. But it wasn’t always like this. When I first built it, the turntable was able to move without much trouble. But after leaving it untouched for about a year, it now has extreme difficulty in turning and often gets stuck. I even had the same issue with the outriggers. But that was easily solved by replacing the single blue friction pin with a non-friction one instead.

Some have said that maybe dust is the issue, but I keep my stuff inside enclosed bins so I don’t think that’s the case. Batteries aren’t the problem either.

@DarkShadow73 I solved the stickiness problem this evening with a tiny dab of silicon grease on the turntable. Turns butter smooth now!

Edited by MIchaelF

Not sure about WD40 and whether or not it could damage the plastic. I didn't use spray as it goes everywhere, just a little dab of grease from my old dive kit.

So the only one who really solved this was MichaelF with some grease to the turntable?

I'm having exactly the same problem with a used set I recently bought and can't get it to work :-/

Even without the crane on it it looks like this:

Have the others solved it somehow? The cables are definitely a factor!

On 2/2/2018 at 2:19 PM, ArchieNov said:

WD40  Is a risk

NEVER even think about using this JUNK
It destroys everything.
It's solvent is aggresive and when that is vaporised a dirty gluelike smudge remains clogging up everyting.
This JUNK shoud be forbidden.

If you want to "grease" ABS use PTFE grease.

Silicon grease works well, it's employed in as wheel bearing grease in my Greyhound model from Didumos.

11 hours ago, Goldeneyeonline said:

The cables are definitely a factor!

Yup. 42080's B-model has the same problem. The crane can barely turn, and that's with manual slewing.

15 hours ago, Goldeneyeonline said:

So the only one who really solved this was MichaelF with some grease to the turntable?

Did you try to turn it manually? If yes, did you notice any dirt? Could that be the cause? I have two 42043 and none of them has this issue. But that is of course not representative for all.

Pneumatic hoses do generate an a$$-load of friction. Rub two together and it's like doing the same with a pair of balloons. A whole knot of them as in 42043 would impair the turntable if not optimally placed.

Hello,

I experiment the same issue in Mocs.

The turntable is not in question, but the gear meshing with it.

The gear of the new turntable are not so good designed and does not give 100% satisfaction when Meshed at 90°

If you have an older or more used 12T gear it probably will work better :)

Never had this issue with my 42043 with the crane in place. How do the individual teeth on the gears look? Does it turn freely when in neutral or do you still feel some crunchyness?

Sorry for reply on an old thread, but today I had the same Problem. Short story, it was the turntable, spend hours to change the horse config, but the solution where some litte mechanic oil into the turntable. Now it turn very smooth, before it was stuttering or holding after a few degress.