sm1995

Mclaren Senna Bodywork Concept (WIP)

I can keep posting here, no worries :classic: Appreciate the interest guys!

On 2/24/2018 at 7:24 PM, KD123 said:

One part of the Senna that I can't get used to are the doors. I'd get distracted if I could see the road through my doors while driving.   What a crazy car, I'm glad you've taken this on.  

Indeed, it's just.. wild. I think the clear glass sides are an option, it comes painted black from the factory. But still, must be so disorienting when you're driving 100+ mph. My favorite crazy thing about this car is the fact that the spoiler is mounted from the top so the underside is smooth, just to achieve that extra tenths of a percentage in efficiency. Crazy indeed. makes me all giddy seeing the obsessive detail that went into this car :wub:

Anyway, here's a short video of the paddle box+gear shifting mechanism for anyone interested. I had to change those camshafts on the left side to regular thin liftarms for it to work reliably, but it works well. I had to redesign it from the first time I posted it to refine the shift gates and the gear ratios. The first iteration had too much engine braking in first gear. 

You can also see my state of the art camera stand making an appearance :laugh:

Thanks for the video. Am I correct in assuming that the blockage of the 8th gear (to ensure that only 7 gears can be chosen) is realized with the same mechanism that switches the low/high gear? That is some very clever engineering! I have been breaking my head over how to make a 7 gear gearbox :thumbup:

57 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Thanks for the video. Am I correct in assuming that the blockage of the 8th gear (to ensure that only 7 gears can be chosen) is realized with the same mechanism that switches the low/high gear? That is some very clever engineering! I have been breaking my head over how to make a 7 gear gearbox :thumbup:

Yup! right on the money. And thanks! :classic: took a few tries to get there but eventually I was able to figure it out. 

Update time,

39667002815_0452d5d34d_c.jpgIMG_6706 2 by Shu, on Flickr

Took this picture a few days ago, and it really puts things into perspective. The proportions are ALL wrong and it looks rather horrible. The front overhang needs to be much larger, the glasshouse has to be moved back a few studs and the rear overhang needs to be shortened. But worst of all is how flat the rear fenders are (well, were..). It looks like a Ute or a pickup truck, awful.

Thankfully everything is modular so addressing these problems wasn't too bad, I've extended the front overhang massively, and I've reworked the rear quarter panel. I think it looks a lot better now, especially when it's slotted into the chassis along with the rest of the bodywork.

39851552424_9d2816226b_z.jpgRearFender by Shu, on Flickr

stay tuned

Edited by sm1995

These setbacks can kill the spirit, but it looks like you didn't want to get discouraged :thumbup: I agree the bend should be there in the back, but it has lost the smooth appearance you had with the panelling in the first attempt. I am not a big fan of sideways placed 3x13 panel... I suppose you can't put it horizontally on the top?

For the proportions of the front I find it usually very difficult to judge that from photos. They have a tendency to be distorted making it look shorter when shot from the side and longer when shot from 3/4. Videos with movement of the camera around the car help me to get a better feel.

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

These setbacks can kill the spirit, but it looks like you didn't want to get discouraged :thumbup: I agree the bend should be there in the back, but it has lost the smooth appearance you had with the panelling in the first attempt. I am not a big fan of sideways placed 3x13 panel... I suppose you can't put it horizontally on the top?

For the proportions of the front I find it usually very difficult to judge that from photos. They have a tendency to be distorted making it look shorter when shot from the side and longer when shot from 3/4. Videos with movement of the camera around the car help me to get a better feel.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps looking at it with a fresh set of eyes :thumbup:

But it's true, it looks a lot less smooth, but they can't be placed horizontally because of how thin the fenders are. I suppose I can try out the long smooth panel at a slight angle, maybe that'll be the best solution here.

I have extended the front overhang, Ill try out a different solution for the rear quarter panel and upload a short video, thanks!

So video never came, sorry about that :look: .. Didn't really get a chance to get it done.

But I was able to finish up the chassis! Never thought this day would come, given how easily I get distracted and move onto the next thing :laugh:

39788765465_abdbdda8bc_c.jpg

39788765445_897b5086d2_c.jpg

The axles and everything running suspension will get covered up by the seats.

In pursuit of perfection I completely reworked the suspension. The initial mechanism was jerky and almost impossible to constrain properly. With only 6 studs of height to work with, it was a MAJOR headache coming up with a mechanism that was smooth and didn't give in under the weight of the car. The principle behind it is simple, but it wasn't the most obvious solution from the outset. The camshafts are connected to a worm gear that holds it in position.

39788765405_1011eac004_z.jpg

Finally, a little teaser of the re-worked front end (minus the splitter). Let me know what you guys think of it. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to shape the doors and the rest of the car, it shouldn't be that hard. The biggest obstacle right now..... is building seats. Turns out im incapable of building nice looking seats :laugh: 

39788765525_4857a94d48_c.jpg

Edited by sm1995

I like how you've managed to add what appears to be a thin black liftarm below the front lights by changing the orientation of the clear 1x1 plates as this looks closer to the real car.  However were you planning on attaching LEDs lights behind the redesigned front lights now? Perhaps attached to the black #21 small panel?  The redesigned front looks fantastic!

Sorry to be late for party, but I'm impressed with 7 speed transmission; kind of announcement for new solution in Bugatti Chiron

This is definitely the best WIP I've seen in a long time, it's really starting to take shape and I look forward to see it all together! 

3 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

This is definitely the best WIP I've seen in a long time, it's really starting to take shape and I look forward to see it all together! 

As said above... been waiting for a WIP thread this exciting! The framework has SO much going on... and the front is very menacing looking. Fantastic progress!!!! :wub:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Really appreciate it :classic:

On 3/8/2018 at 12:50 AM, KD123 said:

I like how you've managed to add what appears to be a thin black liftarm below the front lights by changing the orientation of the clear 1x1 plates as this looks closer to the real car.  However were you planning on attaching LEDs lights behind the redesigned front lights now? Perhaps attached to the black #21 small panel?  The redesigned front looks fantastic!

Thx and unfortunately I'm not planning on having LEDs in this build; I don't have any so I would have to splurge more on LEDs+small battery box, and even then I'm not sure if there's any space for the battery box to go. Integrating LEDs into the lights wouldn't be that hard in itself (btw, you are right on how I made the DRLs :wink:), so maybe a future mod but not right now :grin:

Finally took the time to study this topic. Last time I visited was right after the first post. With a main focus on bodywork I didn't really bother, but now that I visit again I have to say, this is evolving into a very sophisticated MOC. Not only the body, but also the chassis and especially the 7 speed gearbox is really cool. I'm looking forward to see how you are going to implement seats, as I have the impression there is not much space.

Please keep on going, I will certainly follow this more closely.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:14 AM, Didumos69 said:

Finally took the time to study this topic. Last time I visited was right after the first post. With a main focus on bodywork I didn't really bother, but now that I visit again I have to say, this is evolving into a very sophisticated MOC. Not only the body, but also the chassis and especially the 7 speed gearbox is really cool. I'm looking forward to see how you are going to implement seats, as I have the impression there is not much space.

Please keep on going, I will certainly follow this more closely.

Thanks Didumos! It initially started with emphasis on just bodywork but then my perfectionism kicked in and I wanted to include everything but the kitchen sink :look:

It's been a difficult build however, designing the chassis around the bodywork. I'm much much more constrained spatially than usual.

Anyway, the latest update is that it's been completely torn down.... again. I have reworked everything to include functioning aero in the front and the rear, and am rebuilding the chassis because the first iteration was not capable of bearing it's own weight without flexing like spaghetti :/

Also, with the introduction of new gearbox pieces (which made every gearbox obsolete), I have come up with something pretty nifty that I've not seen in any other MOC so far. Not gonna give it away, you guys will eventually see what it is. I'm not sure if I'm going to make a 7 speed gearbox to fit the new chassis and the "nifty thing" since designing a 7 speed is so much harder than designing an 8 speed. What do you guys think, will it be worth the difference?

Also, also, I've redesigned the paddle box from what it was before. This one is more intricate than any other I've built, and is pretty much 100% reliable.And as demonstrated in the video, capable of shifting very quickly with no problems whatsoever. 

Wow, what an elegant solution! Is there any way you could angle the steering wheel upward or it is now a structural element? I think it may look better when angled.

That's a very cool paddle shifter! I think I know what your nifty gearbox secret is :wink:.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

That's a very cool paddle shifter! I think I know what your nifty gearbox secret is :wink:.

Thanks! and we'll see if you're right in a few months :wink:

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Wow, what an elegant solution! Is there any way you could angle the steering wheel upward or it is now a structural element? I think it may look better when angled.

Thank you! It's not a structural element so it's definitely possible, but the Senna has a nearly horizontal steering wheel that I decided it wasn't worth the effort... but lets see, I might change my mind as the build goes on!

Edited by sm1995

been following this thread and your WIP is pretty awesome...love the paddle shifter and might incorporate this into the Porsche. This will be a beautiful car when done!!

So glad this got bumped! Just seeing your MOC for the first time and it is amazing!

I'm also just as amazed seeing how you build in complete modules. I tend to build an entire working chassis first then bolt the bodywork on afterwards... Maybe that's where I'm going wrong :shrug_oh_well:

I'm not into gear boxes like...just about everyone, but I do appreciate that paddle shifter! that is a very fine shifter indeed.

look forward to seeing this finished one day.

Sorry for bumping this topic but I created @sm1995 's paddle shifter in LDD if anyone wants to build it too. 

I'm not 100% sure if this is completely correct but it's the best I could do from just the video. I also modified the center axle to go 2 studs deeper so that it's possible to attach an output axle.

Anyways here is the link for the LDD file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmTylFNEfzF2grV3fY09IF1yOQazxQ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159952071@N07/shares/4669LN

sm1995 paddle shifter #2.png

sm1995 paddle shifter #1.png

sm1995 paddle shifter #3.png

Thanks a lot everyone! Really appreciate the positive comments; helps me power through when the build process gets frustrating.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:39 PM, JTS said:

So glad this got bumped! Just seeing your MOC for the first time and it is amazing!

I'm also just as amazed seeing how you build in complete modules. I tend to build an entire working chassis first then bolt the bodywork on afterwards... Maybe that's where I'm going wrong :shrug_oh_well:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that :) and honestly it comes down to whatever your preference is. I build in modules so I can switch to designing different components of the vehicle whenever I get bored with one. Also it's easier to tear down and re-design if I find something wrong when I integrate it.

On 8/5/2018 at 8:49 AM, TheHypaaa said:

Sorry for bumping this topic but I created @sm1995 's paddle shifter in LDD if anyone wants to build it too. 

I'm not 100% sure if this is completely correct but it's the best I could do from just the video. I also modified the center axle to go 2 studs deeper so that it's possible to attach an output axle.

Anyways here is the link for the LDD file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmTylFNEfzF2grV3fY09IF1yOQazxQ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159952071@N07/shares/4669LN

This is awesome! You got all of that from the video? People here are too talented man... :thumbup:

There were a few minor things I changed from memory, because I had to change the paddle shifter in the MOC for reasons you will see later :wink: but this still remains as my favorite.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g6jqaef68fpnlx/sm1995 paddle shifter.lxf?dl=0

I couldn't find this piece in LDD

Spoiler

15100.png

so I replaced it with a red 3L pin w/ pinhole in the center. Just swap that out and replicate on both sides.

Sorry for the very long post, but I stopped posting regular updates here because of how much I change things; I'd have to flood this thread with so many redesigns of the same thing. Plus my work schedule is really insane these days, which certainly doesn't help. But I'll post whenever I have a big milestone or honestly just make a new thread with the finished MOC in a few months.