Blakbird

Blakbird Collection Liquidation

Just now, Blakbird said:

The sets are all on Bricklink.  This thread lists only the MOCs.

Oh, you have a Bricklink account with everything? Got it.

16 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Which models did you decide to keep?

For the moment I am keeping the supercars.  I have a nice, self-contained display for them in the house.  (Also, no one was buying them)

11 hours ago, fyrestorm said:

@Blakbird I'm interested in seeing the Jeep Wrangler, if it's still available as the list says it is :)  

Yes, I still have it.  I am in Germany for the next two weeks so I can't show it or ship it at the moment, but it looks exactly like Sheepo's photos except with RC BF Goodrich tires.  Please continue by PM if interested.

10 hours ago, Blakbird said:

Yes, I still have it.  I am in Germany for the next two weeks so I can't show it or ship it at the moment, but it looks exactly like Sheepo's photos except with RC BF Goodrich tires.  Please continue by PM if interested.

Thanks @Blakbird!  I do have some questions as I am interested, but I'm unable to PM you until I get my post count up.  I work on that while you enjoy Germany.  Thanks!

@Blakbird, I feel your pain. I recently came out of my dark age only to discover that a guy in the US had all Technic sets and even put a (great) website detailing each and every one (well, most anyway) of them and found myself thinking "why don't I have them all too?". Next thing I knew, I was going "full Blakbird" on Bricklink... I'm hardly half way there (Rebrickable says I'm not even at 200,000 parts yet) and the most daunting problem I'm facing already is the lack of space. My wife has gone through several stages from amusement to slight annoyance to fear of living surrounded by Lego to acceptance that a dedicated room is needed (my collection is currently spanned over two houses with probably a third of still boxed).

Anyhow, I'll say it one more time: it's sad to hear you're parting with your collection but you know better what you need or not need to do. Silly question: that time has probably passed by now but have you talked to TLG about any interest they may have into preserving your collection ?

I also find it sad that Technicopedia is probably getting stalled indefinitely. I find it an invaluable source of information - the best for all things Technic. Your articles are well written and I truly enjoy reading about how you found interest in models that may not look like much but had some intricate mechanism worth of note. I never understood how TLG didn't sponsor you as they do for some reviewers (well, maybe if you had done some boring speed building videos on youtube instead of taking the time to write witty descriptions of every single function with humor and some fun facts thrown around...). I must however point out a huge flaw in Technicopedia: you state in 8480 description that "This is the only Technic set to have minifigure seats". Well, no sir. At the time, maybe, but what do you make of the mighty 8217 ? :wink:

I'm heading to your Bricklink store now (well, I'll be heading there when it reopens). Thanks again for the infecting way you shared your passion with!

Edited by tohan

On 9/30/2018 at 2:43 PM, tohan said:

@Blakbird, I feel your pain. I recently came out of my dark age only to discover that a guy in the US had all Technic sets and even put a (great) website detailing each and every one (well, most anyway) of them and found myself thinking "why don't I have them all too?". Next thing I knew, I was going "full Blakbird" on Bricklink... I'm hardly half way there (Rebrickable says I'm not even at 200,000 parts yet) and the most daunting problem I'm facing already is the lack of space. My wife has gone through several stages from amusement to slight annoyance to fear of living surrounded by Lego to acceptance that a dedicated room is needed (my collection is currently spanned over two houses with probably a third of still boxed).

Anyhow, I'll say it one more time: it's sad to hear you're parting with your collection but you know better what you need or not need to do. Silly question: that time has probably passed by now but have you talked to TLG about any interest they may have into preserving your collection ?

I don't think TLG would have any interest.  They already have a vault with all the sets so they don't really have need of my collection.  So far as I am aware, they don't have anything assembled though.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:43 PM, tohan said:

I also find it sad that Technicopedia is probably getting stalled indefinitely. I find it an invaluable source of information - the best for all things Technic. Your articles are well written and I truly enjoy reading about how you found interest in models that may not look like much but had some intricate mechanism worth of note. I never understood how TLG didn't sponsor you as they do for some reviewers (well, maybe if you had done some boring speed building videos on youtube instead of taking the time to write witty descriptions of every single function with humor and some fun facts thrown around...). I must however point out a huge flaw in Technicopedia: you state in 8480 description that "This is the only Technic set to have minifigure seats". Well, no sir. At the time, maybe, but what do you make of the mighty 8217 ? :wink:

You got me there.  I completely forgot about 8217 when making that statement.

As for the continuing viability of Technicopedia, I may yet find a way to continue it in some form but it would require the help of the community since I no longer have the sets to photograph and I am not buying the new sets.

Please let us know how we can help! I'd love to see Technicopedia evolve further; it's a great site!

@Blakbird would you mind sharing some tips about how to maintain the older models with regards to rubber bands especially ? Have you found good replacements for those ? Old bands age extremely quickly so they are useless.

10 hours ago, tohan said:

@Blakbird would you mind sharing some tips about how to maintain the older models with regards to rubber bands especially ? Have you found good replacements for those ? Old bands age extremely quickly so they are useless.

I don't have any special wisdom, I'm afraid.   Old rubber bands are almost impossible to keep intact.  It's the stretching that kills them.  If you want them to last, just don't install them or at least remove them when you aren't using them.

58 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

I don't have any special wisdom, I'm afraid.   Old rubber bands are almost impossible to keep intact.  It's the stretching that kills them.  If you want them to last, just don't install them or at least remove them when you aren't using them.

See page 10 GBC Train system Mods & improvements for a discussion on rubber bands. I now remove mine from the reversers etc. when not in use.

Edited by Doug72

22 hours ago, Blakbird said:

I don't have any special wisdom, I'm afraid.

I was afraid you'd say something like that...

21 hours ago, Doug72 said:

I now remove mine from the reversers etc. when not in use.

Thanks for this discussion, I had been looking for this on Eurobricks but was unable to find any related topic! However, that may be a temporary fix for the "new" rubber bands (i.e. not black) but I'm pretty sure time will catch up at some point.

22 hours ago, Blakbird said:

It's the stretching that kills them.  If you want them to last, just don't install them or at least remove them when you aren't using them.

In my experience, it's also and mainly age that kill them. Old rubber bands loose their elasticity even if you don't use them. As an example, I recently acquired a MISB 8441 (that means the rubber band inside was kept away from UV). I built it in this pas August and everything was perfectly fine, the rubber band was doing alright. 2 months later, time has caught up: the rubber band is a total wreck, cracked and completely useless as if it was out there in my room all the time. I have been purchasing quite a few ("new") replacement rubber bands on Bricklink recently and as soon as I take them out, they age within 2 months, sometimes less. In other words, even if you don't use them, they still age. There is no way around it.

The only solution I see is to procure actual replacements with similar properties (size and elasticity), not old Lego rubber bands. I have yet to find suitable replacements for each part no (a daunting thought) :cry_sad:

The early rubber bands with square cut, I think were rubber, the later ones with “o” cross section are silicon rubber & are much more durable.

Edited by Doug72

@Blackbird,

Nice to meet you!

I was wondering if your list of GBC modules for sale was up to date or not as I am looking to purchase a module or two. 

Thanks loads,

Ethan

8 hours ago, Ethan M said:

I was wondering if your list of GBC modules for sale was up to date or not as I am looking to purchase a module or two.

The GBC modules are all gone. This topic has been dormant a long time so I haven't been updating the list. There are still a handful of MOCs left so I could update the list if here is still interest. 

1 hour ago, Blakbird said:

The GBC modules are all gone. This topic has been dormant a long time so I haven't been updating the list. There are still a handful of MOCs left so I could update the list if here is still interest. 

Thank you for the reply! 

2 minutes ago, whitfieldtyler95 said:

Man, I wish I would've seen this thread when it first started. 

Most everything is gone now, but there are a dozen or so supercars left if anyone is interested.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, whitfieldtyler95 said:

Is there a list of those ones that are left? Pics?

Here are the models I have left along with the average Bricklink prices from the original list.  Reasonable offers entertained.

Model               Designer        Parts   Value
Ferrari 458         BrunoJJ         2,046    $760
BMW M4 DTM          BrunoJJ         2,027    $441
Mercedes C63 DTM    BrunoJJ         2,210    $424
Phantasm GT         Crowkillers     2,003    $283 (Titanium Chrome Wheels)
Vampire             Crowkillers     1,925    $378 (Red Chrome Wheels)
Deluxe supercar     Crowkillers     1,850    $382 (Black Chrome Wheels)
Assassin            Crowkillers     1,827    $291 (Built in blue and white with police lights)
Rugged Supercar     Didumos69       2,741    $378 (FST NML)
Zonda               Erik Leppen     1,615    $258
Audi R8             Fanylover       1,839    $367 (Built in blue)
Tow Truck 5571      Grazi           3,969   $1,173
Alfa Romeo 4C       Jeroen Ottens   2,134    $509
Black Dragon        Jovel           1,641    $328
Sunbeam             Jurgen Krooshoo 2,177    $419
Koeniggsegg CCX     Jurgen Krooshoo 1,967    $303
Simple Supercar     Lipko           2,336    $300
V12 Coupe           Lipko           2,113    $277
Icarus              Madoca          1,906    $493 (with SBrick)
Predator            Nathanael Kuipe 1,797    $325 (Orange Chrome Wheels)
Koeniggsegg One:1   Pvdb            3,021    $388
Aventador AnniversarStefan Pendula  2,575    $436