Blakbird

Blakbird Collection Liquidation

The time has come for me to part with a major portion of my collection.  As many of you know, I have every Technic set from the beginning in 1977 up until 2017.  I also have around 100 MOCs built averaging about 2000 parts each.  There's a significant investment here, but actually getting anything out of it is a daunting thought.  Bricklinking everything could take me several years.  So I thought I would create a post here (with Jim's permission) to see if anyone is interested in a significant portion.  I can post a list of available MOCs if necessary.

Update, including the MOC list and average part price in the first post.

Model               Designer        Parts   Value
US Truck            2Legoornot2Lego 1,783    $507
Train Module        Akiyuki         6,480    $720
Ball Factory        Akiyuki         4,428    $475
Invisible Lift      Akiyuki         3,197    $320
Basket Shooter      Akiyuki         2,226    $300
Spiral Staircase    Akiyuki         1,923    $157
Pegasus             Amida            480     $50
Avatar Scorpion     Barman          1,823    $194
Ferrari 458         BrunoJJ         2,046    $760
BMW M4 DTM          BrunoJJ         2,027    $441
Mercedes C63 DTM    BrunoJJ         2,210    $424
Phantasm GT         Crowkillers     2,003    $283
Vampire             Crowkillers     1,925    $378
Muscle Car          Crowkillers     1,887    $279
Deluxe supercar     Crowkillers     1,850    $382
Porsche             Crowkillers     1,841    $335
Assassin            Crowkillers     1,827    $291
Swingloader         D3K             1,483    $471
Feller buncher      desert752       4,510   $1,346
Prinoth Leitwolf    Designer Han    2,912    $577
Dump Truck          Designer Han    2,439    $467
Dragline Excavator  Designer Han    2,167    $650
6x6 hauler          Designer Han    2,140    $512
Low Loader Truck    Designer Han    2,054    $386
Lowboy Trailer      Designer Han    1,656    $220
Snow Speeder        Drakmin         2,191    $180
Zonda               Erik Leppen     1,615    $258
Audi R8             Fanylover       1,839    $367
GMK6400 Crane       Gerger          3,504    $919
Tow Truck 5571      Grazi           3,969   $1,173
Wheel Excavator     GuiliuG         1,997    $501
GG001               GuiliuG         1,294    $403
LS160               Jennifer Clark   471     $106
Aston Martin DB11   Jeroen Ottens   2,929    $443
Alfa Romeo 4C       Jeroen Ottens   2,134    $509
Black Dragon        Jovel           1,641    $328
Telehandler         Jurgen Krooshoo 3,383    $700
Kenworth            Jurgen Krooshoo 2,594    $506
Sunbeam             Jurgen Krooshoo 2,177    $419
Backhoe Loader      Jurgen Krooshoo 1,972    $711
Koeniggsegg CCX     Jurgen Krooshoo 1,967    $303
Link Belt Excavator Jurgen Krooshoo 1,849    $487
Forklift            Kevin Moo       1,768    $408
Cement Truck        LasseD          1,520    $245
Simple Supercar     Lipko           2,336    $300
Telehandler         Lipko           2,250    $339
V12 Coupe           Lipko           2,113    $277
MAN TGS             M_longer        2,415    $366
Liebherr L580       M_longer        1,604    $397
Wing Body Truck     Madoca          4,126    $959
Tatra 813           Madoca          2,527    $759
Icarus              Madoca          1,906    $493
Shaman              Madoca          2,574    $676
Predator            Nathanael Kuipe 1,797    $325
Jeep Hurricane      Nathanael Kuipe 1,724    $373
Concept Car         Nathanael Kuipe 1,458    $340
Pony Car            Nathanael Kuipe 1,299    $156
Braiding Machine    Nico71          1,929    $227
CVT Truck           Nico71          1,121    $267
Spirograph          PG52             764     $109
Koeniggsegg One:1   Pvdb            3,021    $388
Volkswagen Bus	    Sheepo          3,527    $409
Defender 110        Sheepo          3,437    $566
Jeep Wrangler       Sheepo          2,461    $400
Kamov KA-32         Sheepo          2,059    $334
Terex Shovel        Sheo            4,325   $1,100
Aventador AnniversarStefan Pendula  2,575    $436
Edited by Blakbird
Updated list

13 minutes ago, Milan said:

Really sad to hear this...
Your RC trucks are taking over?

8 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Me too, I hope it's just to gain space at home.

Both of these are about right.  The collection is totally out of control.  It fills many rooms in my house and also my garage and attic.  I need to make some space and recover some money from my large investment.  I am not totally getting out of LEGO, just getting out of the "historical collector" market and into something more reasonable, just keeping a few of my favorites.  I spent about 15 years putting this collection together, and I'm a bit burned out.

My hobbies have ebbed and flowed over the years.  About 15 years ago I had a business making custom telescope kits.  I was also heavily into high power rocketry for a while.  I did the RC airplane thing, and then helicopters.  Then I was building Pocher models.  At the moment I'm into scale RC trucks.  Way back I even used to rebuild my own car engines.  I did woodworking for a while too.  It is too expensive and takes too much space to do them all at once, so I am backing down on LEGO for a while.  I'm sure the pendulum will swing back in time.  You can see a common thread here, and it is building things.  One way or another, I need to be making mechanical things work.

When you say significant portion, do you mean like $1000s significant or not 2 parts?  

I would be interested to know what kind of list you have.  We could look through your bricksafe, but that list may be incomplete.  

5 minutes ago, aminnich said:

When you say significant portion, do you mean like $1000s significant or not 2 parts?  

I would be interested to know what kind of list you have.  We could look through your bricksafe, but that list may be incomplete.  

Yeah, I mean like half a million parts.  So I think that counts as significant.

Bricksafe is a pretty good start.  It shows almost everything I have.

Coming up with prices for MOCs is hard.  I have parts lists for everything so I can say the average value of the raw parts, but the process of collecting them all was massive in many cases, especially when rare parts were involved.  I am not really looking to make any profit, I just want to recover my investment.  I am not selling anyone's IP so that means you are on your own for instructions.  If free instructions are available, just download them.  If instructions are for sale, you would have to buy them from the owner.  In a few cases, there are no instructions so if I took the MOC apart it might be nearly impossible to put it back together.  I can post a list of MOCs, but honestly I am not sure how to price them.  My fingers are already weeping at the thought of trying to take these all apart for shipping.  Ideally I'd find a local buyer but the odds of that are about the same as me dating Kate Upton.  OK, but not great.

Finally.  Geez.... you have always made me feel so guilty by being overwhelmed by my paltry collection in comparison to yours :classic:

Kidding, but at the same time serious.  I am military and so nomadic living really disallows huge collections as I move every so many years.  But I will be out in 2 years, and we have been saving for our dream home.  I find I am towing the line simply asking for one complete room in our future house that will be dedicated to Lego and my other hobbies.  Although decidedly it will happen, I have had to make some serious allocations elsewhere (spouse gets own craft room, expensive furniture, etc.).  I have always harbored intense jealously when trying to process how you have been able to get away with having multiple rooms  :laugh:

20 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I have always harbored intense jealously when trying to process how you have been able to get away with having multiple rooms  :laugh:

Well, I don't have multiple rooms actually.  Back in about 2000 I had some land and built an out-building with the lower floor for woodworking and the upper floor for LEGO.  So there I had dedicated space but it was not in the house.  In my next house I had a much smaller room, and only the one room.  In the 3rd house I had a room about the same size, still only one.  In my current house I don't have any dedicated display or building space in the house, I just use the garage.

1 minute ago, technic_addict said:

Hopefully you will be able to continue to contribute to the Technic community with your time and knowledge.

I hope so too.  There is still quite a lot rattling around in my brain.  Websites don't take up any space, and digital models don't cost anything.

Can you PM me a price for 8480?  Thanks.  Incidentally, what software package is best for modeling functional Technic mechanisms, as opposed to putting parts together in a single static shape?

It's sad to hear, but at least Lego keeps its value, so no amount spent on it is ever really wasted. Have you kept the boxes for your sets? On eBay I see many sets being sold already built btw.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. But I'm not allowed  to send PM. Any chance you could send me a Pm? I'm interested in your big trucks and trailers.  Thx

Just a heads you to the newer members of the forum commenting on this post.  LEGO is not cheap, do not give low ball offers for the amazing models that @Blakbird has collected over the years.  $20 is not going to get you much 

33 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Just a heads you to the newer members of the forum commenting on this post....  do not give low ball offers.@Blakbird

You'll notice I did not make an offer; I asked for a price.  It is not your business to speculate on whether or not I am willing to pay whatever price Blakbird may quote in a private message, should he choose to reply.  Please do not assume the worst about forum members who post infrequently.  Thank you for your consideration.  Now let's get this thread back on track: Blakbird is selling most of his collection, and is soliciting interest.

55 minutes ago, dannydos said:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. But I'm not allowed  to send PM. Any chance you could send me a Pm? I'm interested in your big trucks and trailers.  Thx

You need ten posts, then you can.

That's really sad to hear. :look:
I always hoped to come to America one day to visit "Blakbirds Technic Museum" :blush:

On a related note @Blakbird: Have you considered asking a museum to buy it from you?

Oh how sad to read this!

@Blakbird, Erik, do not do this untill it's too late.

May I ask you to to make a couple of actual photos of your incredible MOC's and Technic set's collection?

@Blakbird, I suppose it's a good thing to act upon the reduced interest you're experiencing. Better than to keep you're house stocked with a valuable collection you don't do anything with. I feel tempted to buy my own MOC :wink:.