3 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Cheapest I can find is Symthes Toys @ £149.99

BWE now shown on Lego Shop as Retiring Soon.

That's interesting, when I was looking earlier this morning Smyths was up at £185, if I recall correctly.  £149.99 is still a good price though. 

Looks like the Amazon price got changed quite quickly.  

4 minutes ago, Boulderer said:

That's interesting, when I was looking earlier this morning Smyths was up at £185, if I recall correctly.  £149.99 is still a good price though. 

Looks like the Amazon price got changed quite quickly.  

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/lego-new-arrivals/lego-42082-technic-rough-terrain-crane-construction-vehicle-toy/p/166932

its been that price for several days , out of stock for home delivery today but plenty in most store.

Hopefully mine has been ordered for Xmas, after a lot of hints !

Edited by Doug72

Best deal ever, only today in Luxembourg brand new set costs 84.5 euros. Simply amazing.

Edited by AndoS

On 11/24/2018 at 6:15 PM, AndoS said:

Best deal ever, only today in Luxembourg brand new set costs 84.5 euros. Simply amazing.

Yikes! That's a .... reverse robbery! That good price.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:15 PM, AndoS said:

Simply one question - how many you have purchased? :wub:

I like 42082 better than 42055. 42055 is muscular, Technic-ish, engineering-is, and it feels like it's pushing the boundaries of Technic too much. I've built it three times from scratch and have been barely able to get it to work properly without modifications. 42082 is well rounded. It's big enough, and the gearboxes and drivetrains were simple enough for all functions to work effortlessly, and it looks more polished.

I just ordered this set at 30% off, and am looking forward to building it over the holidays.  The 42055 BWE was my first big Technic set, and like many others I couldn't get it to run that well.  I took it apart and used the parts to start making my first GBC modules.  I actually purchased a second 42055 (at deep discount) for more parts.  I really need to find something to do with 16 of those little yellow buckets.

As for the Rough Terrain Crane I'm not sure if I will keep this built or break it down after I'm done.  I may keep it built and use it to hoist up some promotional material at the next GBC collaboration/convention.

Edited by Great Ball Pit

Just now, Great Ball Pit said:

The 42055 BWE was my first big Technic set, and like many others I couldn't get it to run that well.  I took it apart and used the parts to start making my first GBC modules.  I actually purchased a second 42055 (at deep discount) for more parts.  I really need to find something to do with 16 of those little yellow buckets.

You can get some ideas for single-set (including the 42055) GBC machines here: https://pv-productions.com/product-category/lego/

Too bad the instructions aren't free.

Just now, AVCampos said:

You can get some ideas for single-set (including the 42055) GBC machines here: https://pv-productions.com/product-category/lego/

Too bad the instructions aren't free.

Heh thanks, I have actually designed 3 of the modules on his website ;)  the 42060, 42049 and 42062.  You should check out MY website for more cool GBC's.

Anyone in the UK and wants this set should head over to Asda. It shows as £147.97 but add it to your bag then view the bag and a further discount of £29.59 will be applied bringing the price down to a very acceptable £118.38.

You can find it here.

Edited by grum64

42082 on amazon.de for 160 EUR. I'm still wondering whether should I get a second copy for the B model. Sometimes I like it sometimes I hate it.

2 hours ago, grum64 said:

Anyone in the UK and wants this set should head over to Asda. It shows as £147.97 but add it to your bag then view the bag and a further discount of £29.59 will be applied bringing the price down to a very acceptable £118.38.

You can find it here.

That’s a great bargain! I’ve built. One a few weeks ago and then went ahead to make a few mods as seen in here. Definitely will be keeping this built. I might get a second one to build the C model or just gift it as a Christmas present.

I learned from graphic design that visual composition works like the moment formula in physics. The moment formula says that Moment = Force times Distance. This means that a heavy object near the axis can be balanced by a light object further away from the axis. In composition, a sense of balance can be created with a big object near the center and a small object further away from the center.

This might explains why the A model looks good and the B model looks ugly. In the A model, there is a block of gearbox and battery box and fake counter weights near the axis of rotation, and on the other end there's a slim small boom extending further away. In the B model, the pile boom is just too short, which makes the whole thing look weird. 

LEGO 42082B Mobile Pile Driver

Another factor that might contribute to the unsightly appearance is the short rear. The mounting point of the superstructure in the B model is pushed several studs backwards, which make the whole superstructure leaping forward several studs, which in turn makes it shorter than the undercarriage.

LEGO 42082B Mobile Pile Driver

Looks short and terse.

Hah, I also finished my B model yesterday :laugh: And you are right, it looks odd. But surprisingly, it works pretty much ok and it gives some fun when hammering this pillars down.

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I learned from graphic design that visual composition works like the moment formula in physics.

The Ancient Greeks figured that out thousands of years ago :laugh:

Hello all,

What was the initial price of this set in USD? And how much longer should it be in production? My funds are a bit tight at the moment but I'm hoping to pick one up from amazon at $300 USD in April.

Thank you

@trinitechnic $299.99 USD it will definitely still be around in April and probably for at least another year or two even. 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:24 AM, suffocation said:

The Ancient Greeks figured that out thousands of years ago :laugh:

Why didn't they tell somebody? 

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Why didn't they tell somebody? 

They tried to keep it MISB but then some short-sighted fellow broke the seal and it eventually became a staple of subjects such as classics, architecture and fat-shaming.

Remember my little boy ?;-) Well...he turned 8 months and is mastering crane operating:-) 

He knows how to operate HoG steering, he likes the orange fan on the engine and the light at the top of the cabin. Finally he did stress test of the crane and they both passed it sucessful:)

A8D9W5R_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fdHKPz0z_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fr7U38TI_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fcSta7kz.jpg1KIKcu3.jpg

Edited by Malek83
Photos, misspelling

@Malek83 this is best "modification" of 42083 set so far. It is very good that you teach your kid from that early age to use visual real things to play and not virtual ones. 

Excellent 

Any thoughts on this sets retirement? Will it be around till the end of this year? I noticed the 42070 was available for quite a long time before being discontinued.