3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

I think it depends on the configuration. e.g. while 42042 first introduced the reversible gearbox, I think 42054 improved it by making it more compact via use of the bevel gears for the reversing? So I think it's possible for the gearbox to contain interest even if it is 'just' reversible and multi-function.

I'm looking forward to it both as a parts pack (4000+ parts, for a good parts/$) and as a model. I suspect there will be a bunch of C-models built out of it, particularly if it has suspension (my guess is it won't?)

God if it had a pendular axle I would rejoice.

10 hours ago, Bartybum said:

God if it had a pendular axle I would rejoice.

in reality they have axles like this

809695eb9c1c9c2ac4af94a0e.jpg

this is bottom view (without happy end)

334156cdd0000af06720ab48166acd72--best-f

5 minutes ago, Timoonn said:

Big tires are shock absorbers

Partially agree; partially because cranes tend to have independent hydraulic suspension because it is important to have all wheels on the ground (when driving at least) :wink:

In the voice of Prof. McGonagall, why is it when there's "the biggest set ever"", it's always Markus? :laugh:

(Maybe Markus be like, trust me fans, I've been asking myself the same question for six years)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

20 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The second panel has what look like the letters MK IV to me.

Looks like that to me as well. Definitely MK. There's more as well, but I can't make it out.

I love this MK stickers on Lego Technic, as my initials are MK - the Mack anthem has a number plate MR set number and MK and it looks like a personalised plate for my name - wicked 

Anyhow, as for the set, instant buy for me on this one. I love any large Technic set that has over 3000 parts. It looks to be an interesting set

This doesn't look like 4000 pieces in the pictures I've seen. The structure adds a bit to it but can't be too much as it seems to be about the size of the container included with the Mack. 

I don't know, @NeilJam. Does it looks like one-and-a-half 42069? (that would be about 3600 parts)

What I mean is, sets can have a lot more pieces than you'd think. That 42069 has 500 more parts than 42070 is hard to grasp for example. Maybe this is one of those dense builds with all kinds of (studded?) details again.

That said, I get where you're coming from. I have to see it to believe it as well.

1 hour ago, NeilJam said:

This doesn't look like 4000 pieces in the pictures I've seen. The structure adds a bit to it but can't be too much as it seems to be about the size of the container included with the Mack. 

Just today I finished rebuilding the 42055 and it reminded me just how many gaps there are, as well as sections where a low amount of parts covers a large section of the model. If the dimensions are similar, I will have no problem believing the parts count. Keep in mind it's very easy to artifically inflate that number, if need be - they could easily have wanted another "BIGGEST TECHNIC SET EVER!" headline and told the designer to act accordingly.

I'm leaning toward L motors. XL motors so far are used mostly for propulsion (Dino, 8275, 42030, 42070, 42055). For other functions, pulling two conveyor belts simultaneously with some loads in 42055 also makes the use of XL motor justified. As for 8258, I think L motor could do just fine. I think the XL was used because the L wasn't released back then.

Now for the 42082, if I remember correctly, the gearbox at the back of the superstructure allows only 1 function at a time. It's a multidirectional gearbox like that in 42042, but with three functions and one switch moving freely on an axle among those three. The three functions can't be other than raising boom, extending boom, and lowering winch. In the carriage body there's the outriggers. Nothing too heavy, so an L motor would suffice.

On another note, one thing that has been bothering me is whether rotation is motorized :/ There are only three functions at the back, and it is unknown if there is one or two switches in the carriage body...

The one feature I would really like to see is a true luffing crane, although it sounds highly unlikely, considering what is being said about gearbox. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Spelling

I've just checked the 2018 thread again, and someone who had interactions with the set said there is motorized rotation! Knob for rotation is in the undercarriage.

I'm definitely looking forward to this set.. i didn't buy any of the 2017 sets, got the BWE instead! ...but 42082 looks great. its a bit different which i like. Supercars can get a bit samey. Another gearbox, more suspension, but the form factor is the same.. A car. (and some of the moc's shown on this site are awesome, better than the official sets) so unless 42083 does something mega, it doesn't really interest me... at least, not £obscene it doesn't! 

A big red crane, in a different form factor.. that worth a purchase. and hopefully the functions live up to expectations. not just a big empty box. fingers crossed!

Since the motorized rotation is put in the undercarriage, the large gear ring must be attached to the superstructure.

Not necessarily. The gear ring could be used just to provide support, with the superstructure being driven via a Z60 turntable; or there could be a coaxial solution.