1 hour ago, Jim said:

Wise words! :thumbup: 

Even though most Technic sets are for teenagers, my nephews (5 and 7) still like to play with them. 

Ha-ha) I assembly my 5571 at the age of 8, despite it designed for the age from 11 (!) I'm dangerous :grin:

I think the possible flaws only invite to improve the model. I’m sure the ultimate version will be awesome!

I’m very much looking forward to the build as always with each new Technic model ...

1 hour ago, LucyCol said:

At the end of the day its a childs toy, that's its market, I doubt if most care about these things :classic:

Mh, not really, remember the "Lego for men" campain years ago. That kind of products aimed for young adults and adults (back in the days, when  the "big" sets were maybe less.... "toyish"). 8043, 8110, etc.

At the end they have the right to not care about these "things" as much as I have the right to do so, it's a personal opinion.

Edited by Timoonn

37 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Ha-ha) I assembly my 5571 at the age of 8, despite it designed for the age from 11 (!) I'm dangerous :grin:

I think I was 7 or 8 years, when I got my 8862. I needed help 1 time, as I recall ?

22 minutes ago, Timoonn said:

Mh, not really, remember the "Lego for men" campain years ago. That kind of products aimed for young adults and adults (back in the days, when  the "big" sets were maybe less.... "toyish"). 8043, 8110, etc.

At the end they have the right to not care about these "things" as much as I have the right to do so, it's a personal opinion.

The 8110 ended my dark ages, but I sold it, because I concentrated on the Creator Expert and UCS Stuff.  

But I think I'll buy the 42082 when it's cheaper, just because it's the biggest Technic set ever and I want to build an Technic model again. And it looks somewhat cool and displayable, unlike the BWE for example.

13 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Is that the lowest boom position?:cry_sad:

I will not buy this set, its confirmed :grin:

12 hours ago, Metagross555 said:

Higher travel angle

12 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Yeah but real ones can be lowered

Everyone has the right to their opinion, and I respect that.  But honestly, again, my neurons aren't making the connections what understand the critique here. 

If I am not mistaken, the picture provided by @Metagross555 IS a picture of a real crane. 

One that looks super similar to 42082 I might add. 

15326975171_SPLASH.jpg

While the circle in the picture above may indicate it can be lowered a little more it is not by alot. Can't be lowered past the bracket.  Parallel to the superstructure is really doubtful.  This angle is quite a bit bigger than the pic posted of 42082. 

15326975172_SPLASH.jpg

Now I get it.... this is not a direct comparison.  Vehicles are at different angles, etc.  etc. etc. etc.  But com'on, we are really splitting hairs here.  This looks eerily similar to the rationale we have been bandying about for a while now.  We are biased towards official Lego sets.  We would never scrutinize a MOC this way.  Not saying that is a bad thing.  Things deserve more scrutiny when one is shelling out their hard earned cash to get (which usually doesn't happen with MOCs). But once again, I am not seeing the problem here.....  

I pre-ordered mine yesterday for € 199,99 with some luck (and coorporation from DHL :wink:) it will arrive tomorrow.

If the crane is parallel to the undercarriage how is the driver supposed to look at the mirror of the other side to see the back?

I agree with @nerdsforprez, we are complaining without reason. If someone is so smart why doesn't he / she / it ... modify it and enjoy in he's / her / it's ... perfection. IMHO set is really good and color vomit (which enables easier build BTW) is hidden 

16 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Screen_Hunter_3972_Jul_27_02_06.jpg

Is that the lowest boom position?:cry_sad:

I will not buy this set, its confirmed :grin:

I will buy 3 of this set

7 hours ago, Timoonn said:

No, many negative points make me follow this decision (without surprises:sweet:).

The model brings nothing new compared to my 42009 (except the motorization of the rotation) and my requirements are high.:grin:

Turret rotation is slow and struggling and without self-locking mecanism without the gearbox engaged.
The weakness of stabz
The general shapes and aesthetics and especially the turret (confirmed by the video:sick:).
The lack of a true self-locking mecanism for the winch and the extension
This arm that does not go down horizontally.

And other small things

The model really has nothing transcendent for me (except these back gear racks:wub:)

This is not up to par for a model of this price range. We see the limit of making unnecessarily big models. 

But no doubts some will like this model, especially younger builders.

Younger builds?

you are wrong, if you are a true Lego technic followers, you must start MOD it that's what the Lego is...

6 hours ago, Yevhen said:

This set is not for kids. I doubt a teenager doesn't understand why the superstructure is locked.

Not for kids? 

Did you see the age range in front ot the box?

now tell me what age is fit for the "kidz"!?

8 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

You'd better have a big shelf, then...

One for each A and B model

and last for sealed box that's what i did in 42055

Edited by Dylan M

6 minutes ago, Dylan M said:

One for each A and B model

and last for sealed box that's what i did in 42055

Okay, I was joking, but if you actually do have a shelf big enough, then fine!

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

I agree with @nerdsforprez, we are complaining without reason. If someone is so smart why doesn't he / she / it ... modify it and enjoy in he's / her / it's ... perfection. IMHO set is really good and color vomit (which enables easier build BTW) is hidden 

Personnaly i'll never spend 200+€ to get a unfinished or poor finished stuff (technic or not) + €€€ for parts in order to modify it, unless I really really want it. If you want to modify it, you are totaly free to do so, but its not a argument, its a personal choice and by no means an obligation.

If someone is so smart, he build its own crane/whatever without purchasing any sets.:laugh:

You really have trouble with differing opinions

In your opinion, the set is really good. In my opinion its a average set (average, not catastrophic). These are just opinions, not an absolute reality. You do not hold the absolute truth because there is none.

49 minutes ago, Dylan M said:

Younger builds?

you are wrong, if you are a true Lego technic followers, you must start MOD it that's what the Lego is...

Absolutely ridiculous :head_back:

"True Lego techinc follower" doesnt mean anything, its a value judgement. They are no true or "not true", its not a competition, just, peoples buying sets, some without MOCing nor MODing them and its not a problem. Lego's are what people want to do with. Everyone lives their passion in a personal way.

Maybe you want to judge me on my collection. Enjoy, and tell me if im a "true" :roflmao:
https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Timoonn/theme-Technic
https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Timoonn

Joke apart, it's crazy how sometimes the discussions become pathetic as soon as we dont follow the common opinion. I just explained that this set does not excite me and why. Take it easy.

Edited by Timoonn

So @Timoonn it is a freedom of choice, you just go to bricklink order missing parts and proove everyone that you could make it better...about price, you can always wait several months and buy it cheaper...

Edited by I_Igor

I'm quite sure I'll get one and modify it. Probably add a bunch of motors, which will mean taking apart my BWE which currently holds most of them.

4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

[...]

15326975171_SPLASH.jpg

While the circle in the picture above may indicate it can be lowered a little more it is not by alot. Can't be lowered past the bracket.  Parallel to the superstructure is really doubtful.  This angle is quite a bit bigger than the pic posted of 42082. 

[...]

Working every day with RT cranes, I can confirm that the boom can be lowered below horizontal (roughly -10deg).

There is no lifting chart at these angles but the reason is for the crane operator to change the number of lines on the block for lifting and also for inspection/greasing of the sheaves while standing on ground level.

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Aw man that’s so shit that it can’t go horizontal :sceptic: it looks so ugly

I fail to see why this is such a big deal.

Out of curiosity and since we have people with knowledge of cranes here. Do modern cranes have build-in video equipment so that the crane driver can see what he is doing or does he rely on collaborators on the ground?

Love this set - great functions, great aesthetics, great donor and come Black Friday it'll drop to €160 or less. Doesn't get much better.

It feels like the expectation of entitlement we see throughout society. I may struggle to explain without typing a 1000 words so i probably won't try.... but the concept of starting from a less than perfect position and improving (whether its a career, or how shiny your car is, or... lego), seems not to be acceptable anymore.

I blame social media... (and i'm no Luddite, i'm a software developer!) ...but its promoted the 'need' for Everything. Now. I'm entitled to perfection and nothing less is acceptable!!

This is a thought on society in general, certainly not at any individual so please no one take offence, but sometimes its the vibe that comes off some comments.... 

Just now, suffocation said:

Love this set - great functions, great aesthetics, great donor and come Black Friday it'll drop to €160 or less. Doesn't get much better.

Amen to that!

Did anyone think how increasing the angle of boom operation affects force? Let me tell you, the higher the movement angle you want to achive, the smaller the lewer, the more force its needed. That would mean that actuators would have to be fixed at a lower point of the boom, where there would be more force on them and actuators themsleves would struggle more, especially in an already difficult setup. Those +10 degrees are IMO a nice balance to ease up the lifting function. Otherwise they would have to use more actuators and lifting function would be slower and everyone, their grandma and her dog would complain about that.

Edited by Zerobricks
Grandmas