1 hour ago, jwarner said:

Not so sure about all-wheel steering, the box only shows steering on the front wheels. Wouldn't TLG want to show it off like with the Claas and other sets with all-wheel steering?

The rear wheels point to a different direction from the body, so I assume it's 4 wheel steering.

According to zusammengebaut.com the model is really huge and impressiv. 

It includes the old power functions 1.0 which operates outtriggers, crane and turns the cabin. 

7 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The rear wheels point to a different direction from the body, so I assume it's 4 wheel steering.

I also think it is 4WS but only one mode (no crab steering or dog walk ), beside the engine would be in the way for steering mode selector. If you put it forward it would be in the way for crane...

4 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

It includes the old power functions 1.0 which operates outtriggers, crane and turns the cabin. 

So 5-6 power functions then? I think the outriggers are just 1-stage.

13 hours ago, degenerate said:

This set will have one single motor, and it will be used to control the crane functions.

Having the drive and steering motorized would be nothing but idiotic as it is not a remote controlled set, I'm guessing it will be similar in functions to 42009  maybe except motorized outriggers.

And honestly, anyone saying 42009 was great has probably only built it and put it on display, the lift capacity is far from good, and the structural integrity is a mess as lifting pretty much anything will make the whole upper structure bend due to the poor structural integrity of the turntable, it looks awesome but that's about it.

I think this set will be great, especially if we're right about using the BWE gear quadrants to support the upper structure, and there is absolutely no way LEGO would straight out lie about the part count, nor is it a mistake, this is a recurring thing when they announce new sets and "experts" take a look and debunk the part count right away, the same was true for 42053 where a lot of people on here claimed there was no way it had more than 700 pieces, rather than the 1066(?) claimed pieces.

I honestly believe that this crane will be awesome and I will buy it as soon as I can, first thing I'll do is count all the pieces and post the result on here so the "experts" can read em' and weep :laugh:

Yeah, 42009 is crap .. 127 gears and one tiny motor does not compute. Yes, it's got a three-stage boom and dual-stage outriggers, but they don't actually work. It's useless for play and many older mobilecranes (like 8460) work MUCH better. Too bad soo many modern Technic sets are all about DISplay and not PLAY. I really loved my 855 as a kid, I would be rather annoyed with 42009 back then (as I am now)

And if you want structural integrity you need to use (Technic) bricks and plates. Liftarms are useless for large scale models ('cept perhaps large properly braced booms on cranes)

21 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Yeah, 42009 is crap .. 127 gears and one tiny motor does not compute. Yes, it's got a three-stage boom and dual-stage outriggers, but they don't actually work. It's useless for play and many older mobilecranes (like 8460) work MUCH better. Too bad soo many modern Technic sets are all about DISplay and not PLAY. I really loved my 855 as a kid, I would be rather annoyed with 42009 back then (as I am now)

And if you want structural integrity you need to use (Technic) bricks and plates. Liftarms are useless for large scale models ('cept perhaps large properly braced booms on cranes)

42009 work perfectly well, build it correctly:grin:

Have you tried lifting anything, or actally play with it? It can't lift anything heavier than a City car, outriggers can't support the vehicle and all functions are VERY slow .. very boring!

It's a functional (or not) toy you know, not a display model

Well I think most of us here have built hundreds of sets and know how to build sets properly, but even here many of us had problems with the stabilisers, including me. I found the solution was to inspect each and every rotating axle for straightness, as I've found that 1 in 4 come very slightly bent in the box, increasing friction enough to stop it working. Using all straight axles the 42009 works ok. But it's a poor idea to have the motor so close to it's working limit anyway.

As said, build it correctly, outriggers are very efficient and my crane can lift a bit more than a city car.

If the crane stall, its due to the clutch gear, not the entire model.

An L motor hooked up to pneumatics has more than enough power to easily and effortlessly lift the whole crane off the ground in no time with four vertical cylinders used for stabilisers. Compare that speed and power to as they are in 42009 where you are lucky if the stabilisers ever reach the ground before somewhere in the world, a new world wonder is formed by wind erosion! That's not what I would call an efficient use of the L motors available power.

Edited by allanp

18 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

PM me.

Also, I struggle to see 4057 pieces here. The base can't be more than 40cm long and the superstructure isn't gigantic. How many pieces do you estimate the "house" structure has?

I PMed you twice with no response :( 

23 minutes ago, tr4nc3t0p14 said:

I PMed you twice with no response :( 

You need 10 posts before pm works.

oh. I should read the rules.

I am here watching this forum for a long time. Great source of informations and news.

Anyway 42082 will be pretty good set. Looking forward for it.

42082 has Unimog-sized wheels, 94mm rather than 62mm, so it's a fair bit bigger in scale than 42009.  Hence more pieces in a 2-axle chassis.

Perhaps TLG read that some people had had trouble with 42009's stabilisers and decided a shorter crane would be good for avoiding a repeat of the problem?

They also mention the reminiscence of the original 855 Mobile Crane.

The next question is, how long will it take one of us to turn 42082 into the equivalent 4-axle crane shown in the extra instructions of 851, 856 and other original Technic sets? The original was built from 850 + 854 + 855 + 871.  42082 already has 4-wheel steering.  I miss those extra instructions, so full of aspirational ideas.  I built those in my head hundreds of times!

Mark

Based on the information available at the moment I feel that the set might be rather empty inside. It sure looks impressive, but its functions might not live up to the expectations based on the size and part count. I once worked on a MOC of a similar Grove crane with the same functions, but it was based on 62,4 tires and there was plenty of space inside for the functions at this scale. I'm a supporter of the philosophy that a set/MOC should only be as big as necessary for its functions. Building something big for sake of being big has never excited me. On the other hand, if the 42082 turns out to have 4 wheel drive and/or 4 wheel steering, it could be alright.

I'm also a bit surprised that the outriggers don't use the Arocs/Anthem gear racks, maybe they are too small for this large scale?

It's 5x3 dogbones so the panels must be 3x11. What a shame then.

So this set has 5 motorized functions.

- Raising boom
- Extending boom
- Winch
- Rotation
- Outriggers.

Since the switch controls the direction in the superstructure, there must be two switches in the lower body on both sides to control the rotation and the outriggers.

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It's 5x3 dogbones so the panels must be 3x11

Exactly. I just hope to see images from toyfair...

Promobricks is allowed to publish images, so I think we can expect to see them in a few days. Or a few weeks, if TLG wants to go through all the pics that site took and censor inappropriate pic. That would take long.