Exactly @Zerobricks. The limited angle is a compromise to make a boom of this size even possible with only 2 LAs. It was either this, or a smaller crane (or a completely different solution, like pneumatics, which would have yielded a totally different model).

If they'd used pneumatics instead of actuators, the average comment would be "omg wtf theres alreddy 42080 wif numattics legos got gas this year lollerz ima nevah buy legos agane omg giant roller coaster taek my munny".

Edited by suffocation

2 hours ago, Jim said:

I fail to see why this is such a big deal.

Because it’s ugly to me. I like when things are in line

@TeamThrifty How is it entitled to want a quality product if I’m spending a heap of money for it?

@Zerobricks If they don’t work with normal linear actuators then maybe they should have designed a large brickbuilt one.

@suffocation I really doubt that... I would’ve been happy to get even more pneumatics, since I don’t think Lego uses them anywhere near enough to begin with.

Edited by Bartybum

Uh, that wasn't my point. My point was that most people would find stuff to bitch about no matter how good the set.

5 hours ago, Countdown said:

Working every day with RT cranes, I can confirm that the boom can be lowered below horizontal (roughly -10deg).

There is no lifting chart at these angles but the reason is for the crane operator to change the number of lines on the block for lifting and also for inspection/greasing of the sheaves while standing on ground level.

And for transportation ;-) 

2 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Out of curiosity and since we have people with knowledge of cranes here. Do modern cranes have build-in video equipment so that the crane driver can see what he is doing or does he rely on collaborators on the ground?

Some cranes have a camera on the tip, but you cant see much. Mostly you rely on a Dogman

24 minutes ago, Bricktrain said:

And for transportation ;-) 

Some cranes have a camera on the tip, but you cant see much. Mostly you rely on a Dogman

Most common camera location on cranes (crawler and RT) is pointed toward the main winch, so that the operator can see if the cables reel on properly.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:07 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Also looking at the LAs they seem to be nearly fully retracted on the front box art, meaning the boom is nearly all the way down, you would think it would have the ability to go full horizontal for transport. 

Funny, I brought this up some time ago and it didn't seem to bother anyone at all, now?

For the record I am okay with it, I do understand the limitations with LEGO and I feel it's alright considering the trade-off would probably be it not elevating high enough. 

9 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Personnaly i'll never spend 200+€ to get a unfinished or poor finished stuff (technic or not) + €€€ for parts in order to modify it, unless I really really want it. If you want to modify it, you are totaly free to do so, but its not a argument, its a personal choice and by no means an obligation.

If someone is so smart, he build its own crane/whatever without purchasing any sets.:laugh:

You really have trouble with differing opinions

In your opinion, the set is really good. In my opinion its a average set (average, not catastrophic). These are just opinions, not an absolute reality. You do not hold the absolute truth because there is none.

Absolutely ridiculous :head_back:

"True Lego techinc follower" doesnt mean anything, its a value judgement. They are no true or "not true", its not a competition, just, peoples buying sets, some without MOCing nor MODing them and its not a problem. Lego's are what people want to do with. Everyone lives their passion in a personal way.

Maybe you want to judge me on my collection. Enjoy, and tell me if im a "true" :roflmao:
https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Timoonn/theme-Technic
https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Timoonn

Joke apart, it's crazy how sometimes the discussions become pathetic as soon as we dont follow the common opinion. I just explained that this set does not excite me and why. Take it easy.

Don't forget that the Lego give limitation to their designer, that's why there's no set that being Loved at the first place 

It's ridiculous that Sariel can't review the new sets until August 1 due to embargo, whereas the other reviewers have been doing that for a week!

Others paid for the set with their own money, it was not given to them for review by TLG. They were also lucky enough to find stores selling the sets before their official release.

5 hours ago, Magical Duck said:

Austrian Lego Fan just posted this on Youtube:

Looks like a fun building process.

Thanks for the link. Looks indeed fun! I like how Austrian Lego Fan shows his speed build

Edited by WvG_853

6 hours ago, Magical Duck said:

Austrian Lego Fan just posted this on Youtube:

Looks like a fun building process.

Thank you for this video. I do not understand the use of rubber bands aroud 21:20

55 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Others paid for the set with their own money, it was not given to them for review by TLG. They were also lucky enough to find stores selling the sets before their official release.

How can stores sell this set during the embargo?

Wonderful to see that this set has numbered bags. Imagine putting this thing together without them... *huh*

Edited by Maaboo35
Blame the tiny keypad

5 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Wonderful to see that this set has numbered bags. Imagine putting this thing together without them... *huh*

Why imagine when you can buy 42069 and try that for yourself :grin:

22 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Why imagine when you can buy 42069 and try that for yourself :grin:

Or any other set you put together more than once. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

I feel sorry for the poor sods who disassembled 42055 to build the B. Now let's all have a moment of silence for their collective sanity.

Anyway. Big red crane! Let's discuss.

15 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Absolutely ridiculous :head_back:

You claim that others have a problem with differing opinions, yet you find someone else's opinion "absolutely ridiculous". That's odd and contradictory, and it's one the reasons discussions become pathetic, like you mention in your own post. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, fred-eric said:

How can stores sell this set during the embargo?

The embargo is set by one department in TLG, while another one probably struck a deal with certain retailers. It's strange, I agree. There is a lot of discussion about it on the LEGO Ambassador Network. We hope that this setup will change in the future.

11 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

It feels like the expectation of entitlement we see throughout society. I may struggle to explain without typing a 1000 words so i probably won't try.... but the concept of starting from a less than perfect position and improving (whether its a career, or how shiny your car is, or... lego), seems not to be acceptable anymore.

I blame social media... (and i'm no Luddite, i'm a software developer!) ...but its promoted the 'need' for Everything. Now. I'm entitled to perfection and nothing less is acceptable!!

This is a thought on society in general, certainly not at any individual so please no one take offence, but sometimes its the vibe that comes off some comments.... 

Amen to that!

I am definitely with you on this one. There is a tendency of negativity on social media. If 99 of the 100 things are okay, people still like to bash the one thing that is not (or less) okay. I am definitely not such a person. That's probably the reason why I am seldomly very negative in a review. I take things the way they are. So the boom doesn't go horizontally. Why should that bother me? There's a ton of fun building in this model, several linked gearboxes (which we are always screaming for), etc. This results in some slack, yes it does. But if TLG released a version with six motors without slack, people would be complaining that the model is too simple (42030 anyone?). Of course, every person is entitled to his or her opinion and for some/most people 200 euro is a lot of money. So, you can expect something of 200 euro product, but I do feel that people need to adjust their expectations. It is not the real thing, it's a plastic toy representation of the real thing. 

Sorry if I'm kinda steering this discussion in the wrong direction again, but I did feel the need to answer.

Also I think with this set TLG is pushing the limitations with what can be done size wise without producing numerous new elements, so for that reason alone it is a very good set, although as far as I'm concerned there are several others. 

I have been frantically tearing sets down in anticipation of building this set, need a bigger apartment. 

3 hours ago, Jim said:

You claim that others have a problem with differing opinions, yet you find someone else's opinion "absolutely ridiculous". That's odd and contradictory, and it's one the reasons discussions become pathetic, like you mention in your own post. Just sayin'. 

No, because as said, its a value judgement, an affirmation, not an opinion.

Value judgement: "you are not a true lego technic enthousiast because you dont MOD".

Opinion: "I personnaly MOD my sets to improve them, I like it, but I totaly unterstand that some never do "

Watch and learn the difference :wink:

Edited by Timoonn

2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

That's what sorting systems are for.

From the video above, this thing looks mental. I'm more positive about the set than I was before; the building process looks great fun. I would almost get the set. The thing holding me back is that I already have most of the parts and there seem better ways of spending 200 euro for me.

It looks like a lot of parts are added to make things click together more easily. It's absolutely packed with stuff from the inside, and everything has to be buildable by the general public, and I think great care has been taken to make as many little things into modules that can be easily clicked together. Which is something I really like, but it does increase the number of parts needed for the structure.

But to be honest, it looks like one of the better sets of recent times. Sure there seem to also be little flaws - the slow and small outriggers, plus I have the idea the chassis is weaker than needed - but note how everything in this model is driven by a single motor, through all these two-directional switchboxes, which generate most of the complexity we like so much :) Also, I think it looks splendid, mainly thanks to the good red-black color scheme and nice paneling.

Also, finally we have a large-scale crane where swiveling is also driven.

12 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

That sums it up nicely! I cannot agree more. I will copy and paste it into my summary :wink: 

And it is already available for 170 euro, which is an absolute steal if you ask me.

Hmmm when I click the link the price says 189 euro :hmpf_bad:
(which is still a great price though)

You need to apply for the newsletter and you will get a 10% discount. But it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Der LEGO 42082 Geländegängige Kranwagen ist gerade wieder bei Galeria Kaufhof verfügbar! Wer dabei den 10% Newslettergutschein benutzt, kann das Set für wahnsinnig gute 170,99 Euro bestellen!

Maybe Jim can just dig around for comments about a particular set and staple them together, and add some professional-grade pictures, and voila, detailed review with no writing :tongue: