9 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Ctan Can you take some pictures of the gearbox? Preferably those that show the inner gears 

What you like to know about gearbox?

It's splited between superstructure and chassis. Axles are mostly geared down.

I can take a pictures from instruction if you like. During building it was really hard to take a good picture of all gears. It would be better visible for sure in upcoming LDD files.

I have a picture of its size compared to a couple of other stuff I have currently on shelves.

20180717_225332-e1531860993117.jpg

Loved it when i first saw the leaked images.. still loving it!

There was some concern that it was too many pieces and not enough function, just wondered if now details of the build are emerging, has it changed anyone's minds? Maybe some have gone the other way and are disappointed by it?

Be interesting to know. I made my decision to love it based on virtually no evidence, so i could have easily been a mind-changer... turns out i'm not!

Holy moly that thing really dwarfs the EW160E, puts it into perspective for me. Is that with the boom fully extended? 

12 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Loved it when i first saw the leaked images.. still loving it!

There was some concern that it was too many pieces and not enough function, just wondered if now details of the build are emerging, has it changed anyone's minds? Maybe some have gone the other way and are disappointed by it?

Be interesting to know. I made my decision to love it based on virtually no evidence, so i could have easily been a mind-changer... turns out i'm not!

There is never too many pieces :) 

What functions do you expect from a crane? It's a crane so it's rather hard to put something revolutionary. For example cabin has sliding door - very cool detail for me. 

It have boom, outriggers rotating superstructure and other typical crane features. What else it should have?

When you disassemble It you'll have a looot of useful pieces that can be use in your own creations!

To be honest I bought it for it look, not pieces. It have high "wow factor", very nice body and small details like hidden toolbox and box with chains. It's very well designed and I like it a lot.

10 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Holy moly that thing really dwarfs the EW160E, puts it into perspective for me. Is that with the boom fully extended? 

No, it's not fully extended - I have ceiling on its way...

8 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

So, is the chassis bending @Ctan?

Yes, it not stiff enough to take very heavy loads like 4 bananas on its hook. 

Edited by Ctan

On 7/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, pleegwat said:

That was to be expected, for the boom extension. I noticed it in earlier images already, but boom extension is via a gear rack and the only way to get a gear rack long enough is with the 4l gear racks that are mounted on a studded surface. Studded beams are the most obvious way to get a surface to mount them on, and could be seen in images as well.

Not sure of the exact measurements, but the cross section of a studded beam is a lot stronger than that of a non studded beam. This makes it a lot more resistant to bending among other things. I think this is the main reason to why it is used in a crane boom specificly.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:23 PM, nerdsforprez said:

An orange fan for the engine?  In what world would that be correct? An ice-cream truck perhaps, but not an off-road crane, especially when the engine is exposed?

The fan on various Volvo 140 series cars is yellow. Old car, I know, but still. :)

8 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It's Lego man. A certain leap of imagination is required. :grin:

Normally I would agree, but this set has more than 4k pcs... It could be a bit smaller but fully functional, don't you think so? Mercedes Arocs is smaller, but much more functional than this big baby.

Edited by blondasek

Just now, blondasek said:

Normally I would agree, but this set has more than 4k pcs... It could be a bit smaller but fully functional, don't you think so? Mercedes Arocs is smaller, but much more functional than this big baby.

Agreed, same with 42009, the closest comparable set. It's 2600 pieces, with 2 stage outriggers, 2 stage boom, and all the mechanism in general needed to be fit in a much smaller space than in this set.

42009 doesn't get the juices flowing like this does though!!! (and it was a dull build.. my least favourite flagship build i think. But its outriggers were good)

Its same previously discussed different points of view though isn't it? I view a set as an idea, a starting point, something to be dismantled and improved.., something that provides ideas for moc's. Others think it should be bang on out of the box and leave it built on a display shelf. Completely opposite views and never the twain shall meet!! :wink: (which is fine by the way)

3 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Agreed, same with 42009, the closest comparable set. It's 2600 pieces, with 2 stage outriggers, 2 stage boom, and all the mechanism in general needed to be fit in a much smaller space than in this set.

42009 outriggers were very slow even after replacing the gears of the mini LA. 42082 does not seem to have this problem

But I think 42082 really need a 2 stage boom (I sure we are going to see some mods) the crane should look better, if the boom is 2 panels shorter with the hook near the front during driving

35 minutes ago, fred-eric said:

42009 outriggers were very slow even after replacing the gears of the mini LA. 42082 does not seem to have this problem

Woah there! I was able to compose a demure-but-heartfelt sonnet in the time 42082's outriggers take to deploy.

5 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

So the ROUGH TERRAIN crane has no suspension what so ever, not even a pendular axle?

...and it has truck tires with ordinary street pattern ?

1 minute ago, Maaboo35 said:

It's a Street Crane with Delusions of Grandeur. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:...we could see it that way :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

It's a Street Crane with Delusions of Grandeur. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Making at least one axle pivot and using the claas tyres should not be that difficult IMHO. It would also give outriggers more purpose, since at the moment they have almost no purpose with fixed suspension other than increasing the base.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Woah there! I was able to compose a demure-but-heartfelt sonnet in the time 42082's outriggers take to deploy.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Are you aware that there's a rotate function on your phone? :tongue: