14 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Is that reverse Ackermann geometry? Because it looks like reverse Ackermann geometry :sceptic:

No. It's reverse-reverse :) The gear racks are in front of the wheels, so the pivot point for the rack has to be further out than the pivot for the wheels, which it is. Thus, completely correct.

1 minute ago, JonathanM said:

No. It's reverse-reverse :) The gear racks are in front of the wheels, so the pivot point for the rack has to be further out than the pivot for the wheels, which it is. Thus, completely correct.

Can you show some diagram to illustrate? I don't understand anything about reverse or reverse reverse :tongue:

4 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Oh it is isn’t it, my bad

It's like this (source)

IMG017_3.gif

Usually the track rod is between the wheels, so is of smaller length than the front axle between pivots. In the setup used in 42082 it's in front of the axle, so the trackrod is larger than the front axle between pivots.

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Or because it was the cheapest option to just use that colour this time round. I’m willing to bet there’s some sort of algorithm that calculates the cheapest colour option for a piece based on multiple variables to do with the production line.

Do you think it's matter for budget what dye just to add to the plastic granules?

12 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Do you think it's matter for budget what dye just to add to the plastic granules?

Nope. See my comment about it. When TLG is producing certain parts in a certain color, it's probably more economic (or logistically better) to use the part in that color. Otherwise they need to store two different colors, while they only store one if they use the "active" color. Storage space is limited, so this might be a valid reason.

14 minutes ago, Aleh said:

not the dye, but having to swap machines between colours, and keeping more colours of one part in stock adds cost to a model

1 hour ago, Ctan said:

And here is worm gear replaced by 12t gear.

I saw that when preliminary images appeared. But it has nothing to do with the problem I mentioned - ordinary gears don't prevent from backward movement. It was possible that a worm gear was hidden somewhere down the powertrain, but now our only hope to solve this mystery is yours or Jim's WIP pictures.

Just rechecked the build pictures: the two U-joints on either end of the grey axle in the right of the fifth image down aren't synced up correctly. You might want to fix this before moving on, @Ctan.

I really like what I see in the build pictures - it all seems quite compact and dense and filled with Technic functional stuff. So far, I approve :classic: (I don't mind the odd colors on the inside, as long as it stays on the inside. The green and orange 3x5 beams seem to be to differentiate between the front and rear axle.)

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

Just rechecked the build pictures: the two U-joints on either end of the grey axle in the right of the fifth image down aren't synced up correctly. You might want to fix this before moving on, @Ctan.

For such small angles, this doesn't make any difference. You'll only notice when the angles are sharper.

Edited by Erik Leppen

6 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Studded beams in the parts list? Oooooh.

That was to be expected, for the boom extension. I noticed it in earlier images already, but boom extension is via a gear rack and the only way to get a gear rack long enough is with the 4l gear racks that are mounted on a studded surface. Studded beams are the most obvious way to get a surface to mount them on, and could be seen in images as well.

12 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

It is quite an asymmetric model:

5 left, 6 right small red panels
only 1 5x7 curved red panel
3 left 3x5 red panels
1 right 3x7 red panel

I've never seen so many unmatched panels in one set ever.

They want you to buy two to get an even number of parts ... ?

2 minutes ago, WvG_853 said:

They want you to buy two to get an even number of parts ... ?

Except if you did this, you would just have twice as many unmatched panels. 

I also understand the color vomit.....don't approve, but understand it.   When the reasoning remains to help certain people build it I can accept it as a consequence of building a kids toy. 

However, there is still some of me that thinks it is due to laziness.   An orange fan for the engine?  In what world would that be correct?  An ice-cream truck perhaps, but not an off-road crane, especially when the engine is exposed?  I know that is only one piece, but it is one that is exposed on the outside and I can't help but think it says something about the overall model's color vomit.

4 hours ago, Ctan said:

And here is worm gear replaced by 12t gear.

Is that 1x3 half beam legally connected? It looks to be intersecting.

51 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

An orange fan for the engine?  In what world would that be correct?  An ice-cream truck perhaps, but not an off-road crane, especially when the engine is exposed?  I know that is only one piece, but it is one that is exposed on the outside and I can't help but think it says something about the overall model's color vomit.

I guess it's just to stand out against the chassis and fake engine, as the classic yellow pistons are.

45 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I also understand the color vomit.....don't approve, but understand it.   When the reasoning remains to help certain people build it I can accept it as a consequence of building a kids toy. 

However, there is still some of me that thinks it is due to laziness.   An orange fan for the engine?  In what world would that be correct?  An ice-cream truck perhaps, but not an off-road crane, especially when the engine is exposed?  I know that is only one piece, but it is one that is exposed on the outside and I can't help but think it says something about the overall model's color vomit.

I really don't understand how using one color over another constitutes laziness but okay, honestly that term gets thrown around so much on this forum that it could mean just about anything. 

I usually am not bothered by the color variations that much, however I might be on this one. I will get this set and build, then if I don't like the "color vomit" I will change it. Fortunately all those pieces are fairly common and I have gobs of them in black, dark grey and light grey not sure which color would best fit. Hopefully not to much of it shows and I can just go with it the way it is. This will be my biggest build to date so I am really looking forward to it. 

Like what I see so far in those pictures, thanks Ctan.

5 hours ago, Ctan said:

Ok, so I'll post my work in progress, I don't have too much time to assembly this but bags numbered from 1 to 3 are already here. Color vomit is also already here :)

Can you make sure to embed pics of max 1024 wide? Yours are fairly big. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

I really don't understand how using one color over another constitutes laziness but okay, honestly that term gets thrown around so much on this forum that it could mean just about anything. 

I don't get that either. There is a logical reason for this color vommit combination, or for the orange fan, but we simply don't know it.

30 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

I usually am not bothered by the color variations that much, however I might be on this one. I will get this set and build, then if I don't like the "color vomit" I will change it. Fortunately all those pieces are fairly common and I have gobs of them in black, dark grey and light grey not sure which color would best fit. Hopefully not to much of it shows and I can just go with it the way it is. This will be my biggest build to date so I am really looking forward to it. 

Like what I see so far in those pictures, thanks Ctan.

I don't understand this color combination too. I'd use rather light grey, dark grey and black if it will be MOC. It make the assembly process easier and faster in my opinion because you can easily see where to put next parts and subassemblies.

It look very bad if exposed but all this colorfull brick pizza is hidden under the hood where you can't access. 

Lot of builders use random colors when building Lego System stuff taking care only about function not the look and colors. 

When I design something I always want to match colors and make creations looking estethic and didn't mix random colors because it's hidden later.

In Lego set case it's a compromise. It's still designed as a toy so kids can easily assemble the chassis even without too much thinking. Afols  can replace colourful parts with more faded one.

So all in all it's not bad and not good. Just a compromise like in real life  :)

@Jim I'll put resized pictures when have possibility. I thought that they are scaled down to post container and didn't get out of screen. (I'm mostly using android phone for reading EB).

Hi @Ctan
Thank you for posting the part list.
On the back of the instructions book, there's a 7-digit number that starts with 6. 
Can you please post it?

Dziękuję Ci!

Edited by RonnyN
Removed images from quote

Just now, RonnyN said:

Hi Ctan.

Hi Ronny! Welcome to EB. Please removes from quotes. Thanks!