Just now, Maaboo35 said:

It doesn't do much more in effect than 8270...

Looking at it that way, it will save you a lot of money :laugh:

Seeing the video, it does look like a very good set. As a mod I would like to put crawler tracks underneath. Also the hook I would like to change, and maybe a slightly bigger cab. But anyway this set is a must buy for me

Just now, gvo25 said:

Seeing the video, it does look like a very good set.

I also really like what I see. 

Did Lego designers make the same 'error' as for instance with the 8043? If I remember correctly, the LAs are supposed to be driven with the cogwheels on the same side.
Doesn't look hard to fix though, although the solution will not result in a symmetrical left and right part.

800x450.jpg

15 minutes ago, emielroumen said:

Did Lego designers make the same 'error' as for instance with the 8043?

I reckon/hope that they are driven by two separate axles, turning in a different direction. Otherwise the model would be working properly, in the video, right?

I agree that the set is much bigger than it needs to be, but TLG aren't stupid - they know that the same model made 4x bigger with over 4,000 pieces is going to turn more heads, even though it has similar functionality to a smaller set.

Ever heard the expression "Why do dogs lick their genitals?"  Because they can.:laugh:

12 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

The actors are gonna have sore faces from holding those smiles so long.

Ha ha! Indeed ... I found it actually very distracting. The only good thing of the actors is it allows you to realise the size of this model. It’s indeed huge! Luckily they don’t appear in the second part of the video ...

1 hour ago, LennyRhys said:

I agree that the set is much bigger than it needs to be, but TLG aren't stupid - they know that the same model made 4x bigger with over 4,000 pieces is going to turn more heads, even though it has similar functionality to a smaller set.

Ever heard the expression "Why do dogs lick their genitals?"  Because they can.:laugh:

Thing is, TLG were so preoccupied with the fact that they can that they didn't stop to think whether or not they should... :grin:

2 hours ago, LennyRhys said:

True! It can be easily removed at least 200-300 parts and nobody notice that. Only wheel cover 12 parts. Plus plates under outriggers, tools etc.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think they are parts of a clamping mechanism that holds either the batterbox or the 5x7 panel lid.

I have the suspicion that they might have a more interesting function than that. There is a rumour that the new gear selector rings from the Bugatti are also used in the crane. The rubber bands might act as a return to center function for those rings.To be continued ...

1 minute ago, Aleh said:

True! It can be easily removed at least 200-300 parts and nobody notice that. Only wheel cover 12 parts. Plus plates under outriggers, tools etc.

While that might be true. Why do we want that? I really think the plates under the outriggers are a very cool detail. And like the 42069, kids will love the extra details like the tools and stuff. 

What is the actual problem? The higher price?

Just now, Cumulonimbus said:

I have the suspicion that they might have a more interesting function than that. There is a rumour that the new gear selector rings from the Bugatti are also used in the crane. The rubber bands might act as a return to center function for those rings.To be continued ...

I have heard those rumors too. Can tell ya in a bit :wink: 
(well, hopefully next week hehe)

I'm not sure why big is bad? Function count to size ratio isn't a critical factor for me, maybe if it was an empty shell, but it isn't... in fact if they offered two crane's, both with the same functions and one as small as possible and one monster at 4000 pieces, i'd buy the monster every time. 

Maybe there should be a c model competition to see who can make it the smallest!! But for me, too much is never enough.. There's rule for life, right there!! :roflmao:

1 minute ago, TeamThrifty said:

make it the smallest!! 

Isn’t there a topic on here with a tiny mobile crane recently?  Would love to see Appies take on the Rough Terrain Crane.

I think one objection to the high part count is it drives the price up (or it can be seen as a reason to drive the price up).  For me personally as an AFOL, I like that the sets are bigger and have more functioning parts; but as a parent buying toys for my child I might not like the heavy price tag so much.  TLG knows that such sets will appeal both to kids and AFOLs, so they have no real reason not to put them to market.

5 minutes ago, LennyRhys said:

I think one objection to the high part count is it drives the price up (or it can be seen as a reason to drive the price up).  For me personally as an AFOL, I like that the sets are bigger and have more functioning parts; but as a parent buying toys for my child I might not like the heavy price tag so much.  TLG knows that such sets will appeal both to kids and AFOLs, so they have no real reason not to put them to market.

This is exactly what I stated in the opinion topic :thumbup:

18 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

I'm not sure why big is bad? Function count to size ratio isn't a critical factor for me, maybe if it was an empty shell, but it isn't... in fact if they offered two crane's, both with the same functions and one as small as possible and one monster at 4000 pieces, i'd buy the monster every time. 

Exactly. I have transferred this discussion to the Technic Opinion topic, so we can focus on the crane here.

I can't seem to imagine how the wave selector will be employed in the gearbox. It already employs the normal red gear change piece.

A partial justification for the 42082's size compared to the 42009 is that the former has two gearboxes in total (one in the superstructure and one in the carrier) and the direction is controlled by the battery box, whereas the latter has one gearbox per function (the levers switch between forward/neutral/reverse) and the battery box is always on in one direction, like the 42042 and the 42054.

15 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

A partial justification for the 42082's size compared to the 42009 is that the former has two gearboxes in total (one in the superstructure and one in the carrier) and the direction is controlled by the battery box, whereas the latter has one gearbox per function (the levers switch between forward/neutral/reverse) and the battery box is always on in one direction, like the 42042 and the 42054.

42042 battery box can go both directions. You mean 42055.

19 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Back in beginning of 2016 I started a similar concept (shame on me not to finished it yet), 1 direction ON/OFF battery box, 5x bi-directional clutches (same as 42082), + some manual functions, as it is, still below 1000 pcs...  I admit, my MOC doesn't have fake engine, nor 4 wheel steering, but I can see it possible easily with 2000 pcs.

640x368.jpg

3 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

There is a rumour that the new gear selector rings from the Bugatti are also used in the crane.

And why exactly would they be needed? Hasn't the video already established the placement of all the switches on the thing?

3 hours ago, Jim said:

While that might be true. Why do we want that? I really think the plates under the outriggers are a very cool detail. And like the 42069, kids will love the extra details like the tools and stuff. 

What is the actual problem? The higher price?

I have heard those rumors too. Can tell ya in a bit :wink: 
(well, hopefully next week hehe)

Jim, there are no any problems, especially about the price.  I mean this set is the biggest in lego technic thanks to such minor pieces, which riase part's count, but do not make crane more huge.

28 minutes ago, Aleh said:

I mean this set is the biggest in lego technic thanks to such minor pieces, which riase part's count, but do not make crane more huge.

But that is exactly my point; I don't see "so many minor pieces", other than pins etc, which are present in any set. I don't see an abundance of system pieces. Of course, there are some, but to say it's packed with it, nope.

I see a big crane with a lot of Technic pieces, just like the BWE has a lot of Technic pieces.

But I tell you what; when I do a review, I will focus on the "Too many pieces aspect". That might be an interesting aspect of the review.

<off topic> I think you have found a new contest theme @Jim... how many parts can you eliminate from an official TLG set and retain the functions? Bonus points for increasing function count AND reducing part count. Call it a Bare Bones contest...

11 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

<off topic> I think you have found a new contest theme @Jim... how many parts can you eliminate from an official TLG set and retain the functions? Bonus points for increasing function count AND reducing part count. Call it a Bare Bones contest...

That sounds like quite an amazing contest! Maybe looks should be factored in as well...

Sorry for contributing to offtopic