66cm long when crane up, 76cm long when crane down. A 10cm overhang - on a 66cm vehicle - is totally not bad at all (and in line with many real-life examples). And it's also a lot less than many of us were fearing, I'd bet.

5 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

I guess TLG thinks nobody cares about decent alternate builds anymore. 

What about the 42079? From the reactions I've seen, it appears to have been well accepted.

1 minute ago, AVCampos said:

What about the 42079? From the reactions I've seen, it appears to have been well accepted.

Well I haven't seen it yet, so I reserve judgement as of now but if everyone else likes it I probably will too. 

In the side view, it seems that the crane chassis is bent and the superstructure seems to lean a little backbards. Also, it is striking that the pile driver boom contains almost no axles at all! Design to prevent color vomit? In the outtriggers, 5L LBG axles are used. So maybe Lego is listening in some way.

The steering happens from the back. 8421 has a large 36t gear here to transmit steering force, while they choose a gear reduction and a smaller wheel for this crane (where the 36t gear was perfectly possible.  This solution is less direct as gears have some play. Clearly, because of internal (space?) issues, the rotation direction of the axle is wrong requiring an extra gear combination at the output. The solution here is a 4L axle with stop supported by 2 half stud triangles. Yeah. Very sturdy design to push a >1kg crane forwards..

:sick: That B model is so lazy and poorly designed, yuck! I'm willing to forgive it, though. It at least tries something new, and I've always seen good B models as a bonus. So, it's not that bad. Also, I don't think there's an overall downward trend in B models. This just happens to be one of the bad ones.

Now I'm waiting for @Jim's review (together with my favorite set for this year 42081...) to see how have TLG made those functions

Edited by I_Igor

29 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This thing has orange 3L bush + pin.

They're cool. Very rare before 2018. :thumbup:

I rather like this set. It's a bit too big, but aesthetically and mechanically it's quite something. I even think the B-model is good. Hopefully we'll see a small version of the pile-driver in the not-too-distant future.

7 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

7 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This thing has orange 3L bush + pin.

They're cool. Very rare before 2018

Hah, I got the orange pins from the Throwbot right before I realized they had been re-released :tongue:

I like this set and I think it will make a great display piece on my shelves! I do not care much for the B-model because I never end up building them.

Okay I think I understand how the weight dropping function works, and it seems to be a fun one.

42082.8.big.jpg

Notice the 3L red connector lever (1 axle hole 2 pin holes) with the black cap near the white 24z gear. It is pointing up to the left.

We can see that the red connector lever is connected to a series of linkage that links to a pulley wheel above the LAs. This means if the red connector lever is pulled back, the pulley wheel is pulled back too, and the black weight is raised.

42082.3.big.jpg

Now see the same 3L connector lever in the B model when the boom is horizontal. It is pointing down to the left. This means when the LAs push the boom to the vertical position, the 3L connector will go up, and when the LAs pull the boom back to the horizontal position,  the 3L connector will go down. 

Back to this image again:

42082.8.big.jpg

The 24z gear is pretty unusual. It does not connect to the LAs, as you guys can see the LAs are mounted much lower. The 24z clutch gear doesn't raise the cabin either. Cabin raising is manual. The 24z clutch gear doesn't connect further to any other gear. It only connects to a 3L half stud liftarm with 2 axles holes. 

=> My conclusion: When the boom is deployed to the vertical position, the 3L red connector lever will go up, so that it is within the range of the 3L half stud liftarm linked to the 24z white clutch gear. The motor will spin the 3L half stud liftarm continuously, pushing the 3L red connector lever downward, retracting the pulley wheel, raising the weight. When the 24z gear goes past it, gravity will pull the weight down again. It is a continuous cycle of the weight going up and down. Probably with some thud sounds. Pretty fun.

The diagram for the function is like this:

Lever up                                  Lever down

/ --- |                                       /    --- |
              /        |                                   /             |
     ----O          |                       ----O              weight
   \                   |                      /
                    weight

24z with half stud liftarm             24z with half stud liftarm
          horizontal                             pushing the lever down

/ --- |                                                  /    --- |
                      /        |                                              /             |
24z --   ----O          |                      24z       ----O              weight
           \                   |                           \   /
                          weight

Also found a cool image

81jPC0p0dhL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

25 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

All. The. Sets. 1:1. Friggin awesome. Thanks lego!

What do you mean 1:1? As in their relative sizes?

Edited by Bartybum

Probably minifig scale, you can see it illustrated by the minifig on the left side.

6 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

I think it's a minifig for scale of the model. I don't think the model is minifig scale.

Oh, you may be right. kind would be disappointing.

Yeah, that seems more accurate now that I think about it, since the minifig looks too small to be in scale with this set.

7 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Oh, you may be right. kind would be disappointing.

Did you mean that all four sets are in scale with each other?

18 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Did you mean that all four sets are in scale with each other?

I thought so, I think it is possible.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:23 AM, JimDude said:

66cm long when crane up, 76cm long when crane down. A 10cm overhang - on a 66cm vehicle - is totally not bad at all (and in line with many real-life examples). And it's also a lot less than many of us were fearing, I'd bet.

Glad to see the overhang in transport mode isn't near as bad as I had originally feared, doesn't look bad at all and does seem to be in accord with real life. 

13 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

All. The. Sets. 1:1. Friggin awesome. Thanks lego!

Okay I get it now, the 1:1 is for the minifig in the box, then it is shrunk down to show how a figure looks in relation to the set. Don't know why that confused me at first, sometimes I really am a moron. 

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

66cm long when crane up, 76cm long when crane down. A 10cm overhang

It's a way larger overhang than that - around 28cm or so.