3 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Lack of resources/ambition to create a real alternative model, it says a lot about what becomes of the Technic theme...

Eh?!

Says more about the end user to be honest. A lego set is a starting point, an idea.. you, the end user is then supposed to use that to build your own things! Thats the whole point of lego!!

If you want a predetermined, unalterable, fixed solution then buy a jigsaw, or a tamiya kit. Lego isn't about presenting you with the ultimate, no improvement possible, set. Its about giving us a toolbox of pieces.

Is this a symptom of the 'display model only' culture? i don't get it, lego comes to pieces and is modular so that we can then build that amazing C model, D, E F.......Z model, and unique models of our own. Not sit gathering dust.

Whats become of the end users, thats my question!!!!! (not all users of course, i know many, many moc like the fury and view sets as a base/starting point.. and god bless for that!!)

Edited by TeamThrifty

Ha! i think i was in shock... sorry. Its just.... why is a B model such an issue. Unshackle the imagination and use this amazing toy as its intended...

I think i'll have a cup of tea. Blood pressure is dropping now!!!

3 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Lack of resources/ambition to create a real alternative model, it says a lot about what becomes of the Technic theme...

I find this a bit exaggerated as well. It might very well be the case that TLG didn't have the time/resources to create a proper B-model, but is that really something we need to complain about. The A-model is the star of the show and in this case, the star seems to be delivering.

Just now, Jim said:

I find this a bit exaggerated as well. It might very well be the case that TLG didn't have the time/resources to create a proper B-model, but is that really something we need to complain about. The A-model is the star of the show and in this case, the star seems to be delivering.

Exactly.. a bit less stressed-out than my reply!!! Ha! but the same sentiment.. i think

8 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Eh?!

Says more about the end user to be honest. A lego set is a starting point, an idea.. you, the end user is then supposed to use that to build your own things! Thats the whole point of lego!!

If you want a predetermined, unalterable, fixed solution then buy a jigsaw, or a tamiya kit. Lego isn't about presenting you with the ultimate, no improvement possible, set. Its about giving us a toolbox of pieces.

Is this a symptom of the 'display model only' culture? i don't get it, lego comes to pieces and is modular so that we can then build that amazing C model, D, E F.......Z model, and unique models of our own. Not sit gathering dust.

Whats become of the end users, thats my question!!!!! (not all users of course, i know many, many moc like the fury and view sets as a base/starting point.. and god bless for that!!)

I do not build B models at all (not even A models..) but I remmember from my youth that B models (and BI from various ideas books) were wery important at that time. MOCing (and esp. studless) is not an easy job for kids so I think that the B model should be something better than the one from this set. Take an inspiration from BWE or Mack, those ar good B models and proof, that TLG can make them right.

Let's end this discussion here and continue it here. I have created a topic to discuss our feelings of the Technic theme.

46 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Ha! i think i was in shock... sorry. Its just.... why is a B model such an issue. Unshackle the imagination and use this amazing toy as its intended...

I think i'll have a cup of tea. Blood pressure is dropping now!!!

Its not an issue. The B model is simply "bad" (for me) and far from the potential of the box content for a propoer B model.

As you said "A lego set is a starting point, an idea...". A very pricy starting point. And that is the job of lego designers to push the idea to a real, great and enjoyable model. MOC are not an obligation when you buy a Lego. Or Lego should only sell bunch of parts without models.

We buy a box for what it offers, model A and/or B. Mocs are another side of Legos. Official sets are kinda Official MOCS :roflmao:

42082 is the flagship, the star of the year. A and B model must (or should) be great. You cant ask or force peoples to redesign a set after spending 280€ on a finished product.

Damn this forum is getting ridiculous years after years, we cannot critize anything without being hanged by some conformist yes-mens. Please allow others to think differently.

Edited by Timoonn

I agree that there should be something way better for the B-model. It’s kinda boring the way it is at the moment.

11 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I didt know that the Porsche has a boom :roflmao:

Whoops :iamded_lol:I meant 42054, guess I got my numbers minced

ugh! I count something like 50 stickers or so. My least favourite part of any lego set )))))

Edited by Fabiuz

I agree. Yet, between stickers and printed parts, to me the former is the lesser evil, as that gives me the option of not applying them and therefore making the parts more usable for MOCs.

What bothers me on the pile driver, apart from the boom height which is already mentioned, is that I've never seen a wheeled pile driver IRL. Big or small, they're always tracked.

That's a baby pile driver.  So cute, it could fit in with a Japanese Kawaii display.  :pir-laugh:

Definitely one for a MOD and improvement topic.  Baby B model won't stop me from buying the RT crane.

The B model seems quite poor, how is that supposed to be playable at home? 

Edited by Jzawesak

2 minutes ago, Jzawesak said:

The B model seems quite poor, how is that suposed to be playable at home? 

I'd think actually getting the box through the front door would be problem one... *huh*

22 hours ago, pleegwat said:

What bothers me on the pile driver, apart from the boom height which is already mentioned, is that I've never seen a wheeled pile driver IRL. Big or small, they're always tracked. 

There are small piledrivers on wheels according to google, think the stuff to drive highway guardrail posts into the ground and such...

On bigger stuff wheels just dont make any sense, tracks offer more traction/weight dispersal in mud/sand. The only reason the crane has wheels is for dealing with rough terrain, and rocky/mountainous terrain is just about the last place you are going to need a serious piledriver...

German press release

Experience a compelling construction and gaming experience with the LEGO® Technic Set "Off Highway Crane Truck" (42082). Incidentally, this is our largest and highest ever LEGO Technic crane (as of August 2018)! Activate the Power Functions engine and select the upper or lower crane mode to control a wide range of motorized functions that are easy to operate. Lower the support feet, swing the body 360 degrees, use the hoist winch, or extend the boom up to one meter! Manually operated functions: four-wheel steering, four-wheel drive, detailed V8 engine with moving pistons and rotating fan, adjustable exterior mirrors and a detailed crane cab with hinged door. To this strong model also includes 2 hinged storage compartments with tools,Chains and a fire extinguisher, as well as 4 base plates for the extendable support legs and 4 LEGO Technic building modules that can be lifted and assembled. The model in this LEGO Technic 2-in-1 set is painted in the colors red and black and can be converted into a mobile free-fall hammer.

details:

• With LEGO® Power Functions: The large motor controls the upper and lower crane functions.
  • Select the upper or lower crane mode to control the motorized functions that are easy to operate. Lower the support feet, swing the body 360 degrees, use the hoist winch, or extend the boom up to one meter!
  • Manual functions: four-wheel steering, four-wheel drive, detailed V8 engine with moving pistons and rotating fan, adjustable exterior mirrors and a hinged cabin door.
  • Take the LEGO® Technic Building Modules on the hook and test your skills as a LEGO crane operator!
  • Open the door to access the detailed crane cab.
  • Open the storage compartments to retrieve the chains and tools as well as the fire extinguisher.
  • The crane truck is painted in red and black.
  • This LEGO® Technic Set is designed to convey a compelling and rewarding experience.
  • The largest and highest LEGO® Technic crane to date (as of August 2018) consists of more than 4,050 parts.
  • LEGO® Technic 2-in-1 Model: Converts to a Mobile Free-Fall Hammer.
  • In the working position, the off-road crane truck is 100 cm high, 66 cm long and 26 cm wide. In running order, the model is 27 cm high, 76 cm long and 20 cm wide.
  • The mobile free-fall hammer is 24 cm high, 50 cm long and 20 cm wide when in running order.

Nice to see it is 4x4 as well as 4WS.

Lego seem to be making all wheel drive standard issue nowadays with the exception of the rally car.

Just now, valenciaeric said:

Lego seem to be making all wheel drive standard issue nowadays with the exception of the rally car.

Actually, the 42075 isn't AWD either.