On 29/5/2018 at 12:46 PM, Doug72 said:

Weird feet on the outriggers !!

It's not just the bending of the page? In front of the superstructure, there is a couple of "plates" that goes under the feet on the outriggers. 

I know it's Technic and you want to be able to see all the functions but does that exposed engine look weird to anyone else? Also looking at the LAs they seem to be nearly fully retracted on the front box art, meaning the boom is nearly all the way down, you would think it would have the ability to go full horizontal for transport. 

Not trying to nit-pick still think it's a great set and value, definitely will be getting it, just a couple of casual observations. 

The exposed engine? I'd say, finally. Do you remember this debacle with a particular orange Technic car where so many people complained that there was little point in having a transmission drive an engine that you couldn't see? I like how a Technic set shows its internals. Also, covering it would have made the model bulkier.

But good observation about the boom. I think you're correct that it doesn't go fully horizontal. It seems to be at about 25 degrees up, with the LAs 1 stud extended (out of a range of 5). The little side image shows the boombaout 65 degrees up. Assuming that is the max angle, it means the following:

• LA 1 stud out = 25 degrees
  • LA 5 studs out = 65 degrees

Linear extrapolation (which may not be exact, but gives a good estimate) gives

• LA 0 studs out = 15 degrees

Also, note that there are mirrors on the undercarriate. I assume that the driver would have to look underneath the boom to see those - hence the boom is raised a little in the lowest position.

Thirdly, remember it's only 2 LAs lifting this huge boom. Smaller range/angle means more leverage, which will be more than welcome here.

Edited by Erik Leppen

6 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

So the B model is not a drilling rig rather its a pile driver !

Knowing lego, they would probably still call it a drill rig :wink:

B model superstructure motorized functions:

- Dropping weight with winch
- Deploying pipe holder
- Raising cabin

B model seems underwhelming IMO. Similar to 42056 in that it seems it's just a rebuild of the boom into something different

7 minutes ago, jwarner said:

B model seems underwhelming IMO. Similar to 42056 in that it seems it's just a rebuild of the boom into something different

I didt know that the Porsche has a boom :roflmao:

That B model is so pathetic, 4000 parts and the only thing they manage is to make slightly different superstructure..

25 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

That B model is so pathetic, 4000 parts and the only thing they manage is to make slightly different superstructure.

B models don't bother me at all... Don't think i've ever built one 37 years!!

I buy based on the A model (and the parts included). I only ever build them once as for me Lego is about inspiration from genuine sets, and then building my own stuff.. always has been. New sets stay built for 3 or 4 days usually, then taken to pieces and cannibalised for that 'new part'. So B models?! Zero interest.. they're just a parts-limited moc.

Can't wait to get this set as it looks proper 'technic', just the pleasure of opening a big box full of new, shiny lego. Feels like it did in 1980 when i got 851. That was far from perfect but no-one moaned, we just improved it... then again, there were no forums to moan on then!!! :grin:

+1. Absolutely do not care about the B-Model.

36 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

That B model is so pathetic, 4000 parts and the only thing they manage is to make slightly different superstructure..

I'd say just a boom differs, superstructure look almost similar.

With 4000 parts they could make such a great B model.

Lack of resources/ambition to create a real alternative model, it says a lot about what becomes of the Technic theme...

Edited by Timoonn

Another thing I don't like about the B model is that the pile holder is too short. With all the panels and beams that make up the long boom, why cant the pile holder has similar length?

Bit disappointed by the B model myself as I prefer them to be different to the A. But I do get it as it’s part of similar construction equipment for building the Grey Building.

this might go on the maybe list now

I have had a pile driver on my “to do list” for a long time and the terrain crane may kick start that BUT not the Lego version. It will be a very useful source of parts for a crawler mounted pile driver rig with a much taller boom.

I have a spare crawler base already built from my Material Hander MOC.

Edited by Doug72

On another note, there must be some magical ways to quickly separate the superstructure from the under carriage. 

Or if there's not an easy way to separate, maybe it could be like the 42042. The undercarriage is the same, but the instruction goes over the steps for the undercarriage again.