I don't see ant 5x3 panels.

Sorry to bring up that old crane model again however, some seem to think 42082 is geared the same, therefore having the same lifting power, but that's incorrect. The old crane was geared UP 20:12 after the clutch whereas 42082 is geared DOWN after the clutch 12:20. However it should be noted that 42042 was geared down by 8:1 after the clutch, making that one still more powerful, thought it was via a worm gear which aren't very efficient. 

All the function switches appear to be multidirectional, so the six positions on top are for three functions in either direction, assuming boom lift, boom extension and winch. The lower switch shows 8460 style outriggers up and down. So if slewing is motorised I guess there is a switch for that on the other side. The motor is in the superstructure, kinda weird having the motor up there to send the power down though the turn table into the base, through a direction switching gear box only to be directed back up to turn the superstructure. But with the BWE ring gears proving smooth easy rotation it shouldn't be an issue.

Different steering modes would be good as many cranes like this has them. But I don't see any evidence for their presence.

1 minute ago, allanp said:

I don't see ant 5x3 panels.

They're the shorter curved straight panels. They look to be available in red for the first time here.

2 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

They're the shorter curved straight panels. They look to be available in red for the first time here.

So that's the 7x3 panels then? :laugh:

No two stage outriggers, if you click the picture, they are the reverse clutched gearboxes. Contractict to myself.

2 minutes ago, allanp said:

So that's the 7x3 panels then? :laugh:

My fault, I wrote 5x3 earlier.

To the left of the H6 gearbox (behind in the photo) I see a red Bohrok eyepiece. It seems strange to put that there, so methinks it could have something to do with slewing the crane.

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I don’t get why people want Claas steering modes in this. 42054 had massive slack and play in its steering.

Because it's a cool feature and it's cool to see cool features in sets, just to see how they pulled that off.

I'd rather have a function with slack and play than no function at all. This is all built up from generic plastic prefabricated pieces, we all understand the limitations of the system and it's cool to see what they can achieve with that system. Leaving a function out because it would have slack and play, is lame, in my opinion.

By the way, as much as I like the crane, it still doesn't looke like 4000 parts to me. It doesn't seem to be bigger than 42009, which was 2700 parts. Wonder where the other 1300 parts go.

I see 6 x 8, but I don't see any seams. As far as I know there is no 6 x 8 tile piece. So I'm assuming 1x6 + 6x6 + 1x6. Or it's a new piece.

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I see 6 x 8, but I don't see any seams. As far as I know there is no 6 x 8 tile piece. So I'm assuming 1x6 + 6x6 + 1x6. Or it's a new piece.

I think it could be a 6x8 plate with 1x8 tiles on it, sadly, the picture is not of the highest quality, so we might need to wait for better details about it to be completely sure.

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'd rather have a function with slack and play than no function at all. This is all built up from generic plastic prefabricated pieces, we all understand the limitations of the system and it's cool to see what they can achieve with that system. Leaving a function out because it would have slack and play, is lame, in my opinion.

I understand your point. I think 42054’s slack steering, 42055’s bad performance and 42056’s gearbox left a sour taste in my mouth. Thinking about it more I’m probably on the fence about dual mode steering - it would be nice, but only if it worked properly and without major slack, alongside the axles being driven. If there isn’t a way of doing it then I’d rather they didn’t. I don’t like the idea of putting in functions that only somewhat work, because that to me just seems sorta half-assed.

I could also call sticking with standard functions half-assed, but we’re already getting driven steering for 42082, which is a big plus.

Edited by Bartybum

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

To the left of the H6 gearbox (behind in the photo) I see a red Bohrok eyepiece. It seems strange to put that there, so methinks it could have something to do with slewing the crane.

Good spotting. Looks like a white tile with labelling on it, so yeah, it seems like another feature. Could be lifting of the cabin maybe? My guess is slew is still on the base (left hand side). They've got the power feed through the turntable, so it makes sense IMO.

The storage of the pads (my guess is there's 4 of them) in the front is 6 studs wide between the 2L pinhole+axle beams, so I think they're probably 6x6 plates.

44 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Good spotting. Looks like a white tile with labelling on it, so yeah, it seems like another feature. Could be lifting of the cabin maybe? My guess is slew is still on the base (left hand side). They've got the power feed through the turntable, so it makes sense IMO.

The storage of the pads (my guess is there's 4 of them) in the front is 6 studs wide between the 2L pinhole+axle beams, so I think they're probably 6x6 plates.

On one hand slewing could very well be controlled from the chassis, but that would mean it would be faster going one way, since the source of the spinning axle would be rotating too.

The multidirecrtional gearbox has a problem: many functions can be engaged simultaneously, which can strain and drain the power source.

So I think the Bionicle tooth next to the H6 gearbox is a mode switch. It switches between functions in the superstructure and those in the undercarriage. There are 3 independent gearboxes in the set already: one in the superstructure, two on both sides of the undercarriage. There has got to be a mode switch.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The multidirecrtional gearbox has a problem: many functions can be engaged simultaneously, which can strain and drain the power source.

Maybe only one function can be realized simultaneously...  From the other side it saves the battery.  MAny many independant functions working simultaneously is more interesting but eates battery.

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So I think the Bionicle tooth next to the H6 gearbox is a mode switch. It switches between functions in the superstructure and those in the undercarriage. There are 3 independent gearboxes in the set already: one in the superstructure, two on both sides of the undercarriage. There has got to be a mode switch.

146% U R right.

I appears that this set has been designed by Markus Kossman. The 42043 that was designed by Markus was really well executed in terms of both bodywork and functions. However, this set has a rather shoddy paneling - specially the panels in the turret looks really ugly (personal view). And as for functions and execution, it is too early to comment. It would have definitely been interesting to have 2 extensions of the booms but unfortunately we shall have to settle for just 1 x extension.

Also, with the cleaner pictures we can conclude that the XL turntable is in DBG rather than black as speculated earlier.

Yeah, I think you're right re the bionicle piece being a mode switch - the label on the right looks like the crane arm, and the one on the left could well be designating the outriggers/base.

@arijitdas Where are you getting Markus Kossman from? The sticker seems to possibly be OK (the letters overlap)? Further, the XL turntable is clearly black, not DBG. The panelling and ladder in DBG are clearly different (the lighter shade on the XL turntable is just reflection of the white it sits on.

@JonathanM I was thinking those characters were MK but then I may be wrong. But then what would OK signify?  Also, I don't think the reflection will be so strong on the XL turntable, so I would rather wait for some more time. 

6 minutes ago, arijitdas said:

@JonathanM I was thinking those characters were MK but then I may be wrong. But then what would OK signify?  Also, I don't think the reflection will be so strong on the XL turntable, so I would rather wait for some more time. 

OK would likely stand for Olav Kroigaard, another Technic designer.

45 minutes ago, arijitdas said:

Also, with the cleaner pictures we can conclude that the XL turntable is in DBG rather than black as speculated earlier.

I don't know how You concluded that, there are DBG pieces literally just beside, the color difference (Black vs DBG) is pretty obvious for me. I don't mind your speculation, just don't be disappointed in the end. :classic:

Edited by agrof

Yeah something tells me this isn’t an MK build, otherwise we’d see MKIV written on the side

I think Milan Reindl also uses OK on aircraft (42040, 42052) - it's Czech airlines code, but I don't think he's used that on any non-aircraft models, so Olav Kroigaard seems most likely. Olav also did 42053. Not sure what other sets he's done - a share of 42054 maybe as it had an OK sticker as well?

Edited by JonathanM

6 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

I think Milan Reindl also uses OK on aircraft (42040, 42052) - it's Czech airlines code, but I don't think he's used that on any non-aircraft models, so Olav Kroigaard seems most likely. Olav also did 42053. Not sure what other sets he's done - a share of 42054 maybe as it had an OK sticker as well?

Yeah, Olav worked on 42054 along with Michael Jeppesen.