3 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Promobricks is allowed to publish images, so I think we can expect to see them in a few days. Or a few weeks, if TLG wants to go through all the pics that site took and censor inappropriate pic. That would take long.

That's not true though. 

Courtesy of Google Translate from Promobricks:

The Technic models of the second half of the year were certainly one of the highlights at the LEGO booth at the International Toy Fair 2018 . A total of four models were there ready to view and try out. Half of it is motorized with Power Functions. As already mentioned several times, unfortunately no pictures were allowed to be taken. That's why we describe the sets as well as possible - and highlight the important details.

I guess they were allowed to take photos of other sets, such as we've seen from other themes.

I have 42009 and when I built it all functions worked fine. There appears to be a real negative attitude towards 42009 on here. This was the set that made me a massive technic fan. Is it perfect, No, would more motors and re-design improve it, Yes. But I truly belive this was a key set in the evolution of Lego Technics and one every serious technic fan should own!

34 minutes ago, HeresJohnnny said:

I have 42009 and when I built it all functions worked fine. There appears to be a real negative attitude towards 42009 on here. This was the set that made me a massive technic fan. Is it perfect, No, would more motors and re-design improve it, Yes. But I truly belive this was a key set in the evolution of Lego Technics and one every serious technic fan should own!

There is a real negative attitude to most flagships once they are released on here due to over-expectation  built up during the pre-release speculation phase. What, it doesn´t have 300 new custom parts, ackermann steering nor can it make my bed for me? Aww, it´s rubbish and overpriced then. I´ll buy one first day.

Probably the only sets that is an exception is the Arocs.

9 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

It's original but it will be difficult to play with.

I agree. It could be a cool vehicle, but since you can't actually drill in your table top, I wonder about the functionality and playability.

1842740-trivellazione_battitura_tranciat

What are they going to make the drill from, though? Do we have any examples of Lego drill machine sets where the actual drill is not one of the specialized drill molds?

Also, I really hope it's one of those big construction machines used to drill deep holes, and not the mining vehicle with a drill on its forehead, so to speak.

1 hour ago, Huaojozu said:

What are they going to make the drill from, though? Do we have any examples of Lego drill machine sets where the actual drill is not one of the specialized drill molds?

Also, I really hope it's one of those big construction machines used to drill deep holes, and not the mining vehicle with a drill on its forehead, so to speak.

With pinions

Edited by Timoonn

16 minutes ago, ctx1769 said:

A drilling rig for doing the holes for high rised buildings 

Awesome! I hope the main structure will be different and it's not just going to be rebuilding the crane arm into a drill, similarly to 42043/42054. I may just have to buy 2 sets if the B model ends up being as cool as it sounds.

5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There goes my dream of a proper reach stacker.

You can always make your own c model :wink:

7 hours ago, Huaojozu said:

Idea Book 8889, page 37 is what you're looking for

On 1/2/2018 at 7:19 PM, HeresJohnnny said:

I also had 42009 and when I built it all functions worked poorly. There appears to be a real positive attitude towards 42009 on here. This was the set that made me sell all my (studless) Technic and go back to proper working Technic sets .. As a massive fan of actually working Technic sets, I think I made the right choice :wink:

9 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I agree. It could be a cool vehicle, but since you can't actually drill in your table top, I wonder about the functionality and playability.

1842740-trivellazione_battitura_tranciat

I'm actually finishing up my well driller right now. It's a pretty cool thing to MOC with LEGO but it has one huge no-go (as far as official sets go) that is you can't drill with it! You can't propel x amount of 16L axles into the ground, mine can but not in real life = no play feature = no TLG set

28 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Idea Book 8889, page 37 is what you're looking for

At the scale of 42082? I certainly hope not.

How long before releasing sets to sale, the pictures or videos of models are being released to media? For 2018 1H, The first pictures I saw around October, November. Do you think you that Lego will post detailed pictures or videos around March or April?

9 hours ago, Jaromir said:

How long before releasing sets to sale, the pictures or videos of models are being released to media? For 2018 1H, The first pictures I saw around October, November. Do you think you that Lego will post detailed pictures or videos around March or April?

Either of those is too long to wait. :laugh:

Like the idea of the drilling rig, though! Very original for Technic. As has been aforementioned, though, it could be a case of reconfiguring the crane. Although using the parts from the building as drillable slabs or something would be cool.

I think this could be the first set I'll buy since the Xerion set. I passed on the Arocs, didn't do it for me.

On 01/02/2018 at 4:19 PM, HeresJohnnny said:

I totally agree. 

I really enjoyed building 42009 and yes, the functions do work, my main problem with it is the poor lifting capacity due to the excessive bending of the upper structure, which happens because the only thing supporting it is a turntable.

The lifting capacity is good, I swapped the clutch gear for a regular one and it works good, still so much bending though.

It was truly awesome when it came and it's one of my favorite models on my shelf in terms of looks, I hope that 42082 will be even better.

Personally I’m not sure about this set. I just think that large sets using XL motors require you to triple check every gear is frictionless and then use 6 premium brand AA batteries. This is expensive and time consuming so I prefer manual sets like the Mack Anthem.

Thats just my opinion though.

That said, it's usually the PF sets with a single motor that house those huge complex gearboxes to let one motor power 2, 4 or even more functions. In manual sets, the controls are all over the model; in a PF set, all gear trains must somehow come together into one place, which makes the model usually much more technically interesting. Of course, this argument does not hold for PF sets with many motors such as 42030, but I expect this new crane 42082 to have such a wonderful gearbox again. While this is speculation. there's bound to be something that guides the motor's power to four selectable functions.

I don't see anything new or interesting fot this gearbox though. It's basically the gear box of 42042, with one less axle in the superstructure and two more axles in the base.

I think it depends on the configuration. e.g. while 42042 first introduced the reversible gearbox, I think 42054 improved it by making it more compact via use of the bevel gears for the reversing? So I think it's possible for the gearbox to contain interest even if it is 'just' reversible and multi-function.

I'm looking forward to it both as a parts pack (4000+ parts, for a good parts/$) and as a model. I suspect there will be a bunch of C-models built out of it, particularly if it has suspension (my guess is it won't?)