Imma start a dedicated thread for this set as well.

31310700_169818010383140_775151101967073

31557164_168308573844335_393411591200047

All info so far:

Rough terrain crane 4057 parts 229 Euro 1 meter telescopic crane. With power functions. Largest TECHNIC set for parts.

4 wheel steering.

V8 engine sticking out at the rear, uncovered.

Unimog wheels with covers.

5 motorized functions:

- Raising boom
- Extending boom
- Lowering winch
- Lowering outriggers
- Rotating superstructure

B mode: drilling vehicle.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

The original plan was to get the Mack truck, but as soon as I saw the pics for this set, I cancelled that plan! This set looks great! 

Just now, aminnich said:

The original plan was to get the Mack truck, but as soon as I saw the pics for this set, I cancelled that plan! This set looks great! 

I'm still waiting to get the Mack, but with the Chiron and the rough terrain crane it is no longer my priority.

By the way, I have seen the leaked picture of the 42082. Am I the only one to think that the set become "bigger and bigger" not "better and better"? I have been a bit disapointed by the All-terrain-tow-truck and the poor level of complexity inside, soooo the enormous crane... well I'm afraid there will be a lot of void inside.

I totaly agree with you The last great flagship was the arocs, already 3yr ago. Bwe was below average. 42070 is a disaster, 42056 too

Our 42082 looks a bit better, I hope the technical stuff will be the shining part of the set

Edited by Timoonn

This set comes right at the time I become too frustrated to make my 42009 work after many modding attempts and sleepless nights. I think I'll get this set to replace the 42009. The only problem remaining is what to do with it.

7 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This set comes right at the time I become too frustrated to make my 42009 work after many modding attempts and sleepless nights. I think I'll get this set to replace the 42009. The only problem remaining is what to do with it.

I doubt 42082 will be more inovative than 42009.

42082 is just a different scale model.

It will be even harder for 42082 to push the limits, because we can compare it with 2 great big mobile cranes, 8421, and 42009.

Edited by Timoonn

Just now, Akbalder said:

It's strange that it has more pieces than the BWE. It looks smaller.

Hence my structural theory. It will be dense with structural elements and have little gears.

17 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

It's strange that it has more pieces than the BWE. It looks smaller.

And the crane is cheaper.

I bet for a mistake and a smaler parts count

Edited by Timoonn

I doubt they'd make a 3600 part supercar and have a smaller part count flagship,seeing as how they're going really big this year.

Perhaps the price will be bigger, but it's most likely that the parts go into a lot of structural stuff with countless pins. Also let's not forget the small building, that will probably be more parts than one would expect.

6 minutes ago, Horace T said:

I missed the images for the 2018 2H sets. Can anyone link me up?

H

PM me.

Also, I struggle to see 4057 pieces here. The base can't be more than 40cm long and the superstructure isn't gigantic. How many pieces do you estimate the "house" structure has?

1 hour ago, Horace T said:

I missed the images for the 2018 2H sets. Can anyone link me up?

26 minutes ago, TheNextLegoDesinger said:

PICS PICS PICS, i want pics.

sorry, i haven't followed the 2018 discussion so i haven't seen pictures yet. anyone who can put some pictures?

Guys, let's not do the same thing over and over. No asking for pictures in the topic.

If this really has 4000 parts, then 230 euro isn't even very expensive. It's less than 6 cents a piece. But I am curious to what it will have for that size. I mean, 42009 has 1400 parts less and I'm wondering what this new crane can have over 42009. Also, 2 normal linear actuators seem a bit puny for such a monster of a boom. If you scale down a real crane of this type, the main boom cylinders would be at least twice or thrice as long. Below I'm trying to compile a list of possible functions, going all the way from absolutely necessary (IMO) to wishful-thinking:

necessary:

• Steering
  • Drive (+ fake engine)
  • Outriggers
  • Slewing the superstructure
  • Luffing (boom up-down)
  • Extending
  • Hoisting

likely:

• Motorization of the 5 crane functions above
  • All-wheel steer
  • All-wheel drive
  • Tilting cabin

possible:

• Suspension
  • Claas steering modes

wishful thinking:

• Outriggers that extend first horizontally and then vertically without the need to flip a switch
  • Two-stage outriggers

I think this has a lot of space to add huge and complex gear systems in the undercarriage, after all it has only 4 wheels, as opposed to 42009 which has its entire undercarriage covered by wheels. Also, it's wider and taller. And even 8421's superstructure hosts four motorized functions, so in this new crane there's plenty of room.

47 minutes ago, anatem said:

Google it man, there are a couple pics and they're everywhere. No new visuals today.

yeah stupid me :)

looks nice, maybe i'll buy this set if i manage to get some money as it's gonna be an expensive year, by wallet

This set has a lot more interest for me than the Bugatti.. 4000 pieces?! Bright red and massive! Awesome start.. just hope its not an empty box. Arocs is still the daddy, but that will take some beating as it had everything and was a really enjoyable build. 42009 was a poor build for me.. not sure why.

But who doesn't love a big red crane?!

This set will have one single motor, and it will be used to control the crane functions.

Having the drive and steering motorized would be nothing but idiotic as it is not a remote controlled set, I'm guessing it will be similar in functions to 42009  maybe except motorized outriggers.

And honestly, anyone saying 42009 was great has probably only built it and put it on display, the lift capacity is far from good, and the structural integrity is a mess as lifting pretty much anything will make the whole upper structure bend due to the poor structural integrity of the turntable, it looks awesome but that's about it.

I think this set will be great, especially if we're right about using the BWE gear quadrants to support the upper structure, and there is absolutely no way LEGO would straight out lie about the part count, nor is it a mistake, this is a recurring thing when they announce new sets and "experts" take a look and debunk the part count right away, the same was true for 42053 where a lot of people on here claimed there was no way it had more than 700 pieces, rather than the 1066(?) claimed pieces.

I honestly believe that this crane will be awesome and I will buy it as soon as I can, first thing I'll do is count all the pieces and post the result on here so the "experts" can read em' and weep :laugh:

Not so sure about all-wheel steering, the box only shows steering on the front wheels. Wouldn't TLG want to show it off like with the Claas and other sets with all-wheel steering?